Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Mondesi being a piece of ****? Why does this not surprise me...

Him, Hillenbrand, and Rios are the holy trinity of clubhouse cancers.

I'm still a little pissed at Mondesi for helping put Felipe Lopez on the wrong track. I mean it obviously wasn't entirely Mondesi's fault that Lopez busted but I remember all those stories about Mondesi taking Lopez under his wing and then going out and partying all the time and screwing around and not giving 2 ****s about baseball, as Mondesi was wont to do from time to time.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I put Delgado ahead of Bautista. But I imagine it's a little bit of personal preference involved in that close a decision. I could see the case for Alomar ahead too if you're valuing impact and signature moments vs career stats. But Bautista is probably no worse than #5 all time unless you've got a severe axe to grind or a serious case of fanboyism for a particular other player.

meanwhile, is Rex Hudler on crystal meth or something? He's tweaking out on set there...

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I'm still a little pissed at Mondesi for helping put Felipe Lopez on the wrong track. I mean it obviously wasn't entirely Mondesi's fault that Lopez busted but I remember all those stories about Mondesi taking Lopez under his wing and then going out and partying all the time and screwing around and not giving 2 ****s about baseball, as Mondesi was wont to do from time to time.

Felipe Lopez...There's a blast from the past. Thought he was going to turn into a regular all star but only put up a career war of 7.5

I always find his 2005 and 2006 seasons interesting for different reasons

lopez hit 23 jacks in 2005 which was double the number he hit in any other season (11 in 2006 which was the only other time he had double digits in home runs)

He also stole 44 bases in 2006 despite only registering double digit steals in two other seasons (24 in 2007 and 15 in 2005.)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Felipe Lopez...There's a blast from the past. Thought he was going to turn into a regular all star but only put up a career war of 7.5

I always find his 2005 and 2006 seasons interesting for different reasons

lopez hit 23 jacks in 2005 which was double the number he hit in any other season (11 in 2006 which was the only other time he had double digits in home runs)

He also stole 44 bases in 2006 despite only registering double digit steals in two other seasons (24 in 2007 and 15 in 2005.)

I remember when we had Felipe Lopez and he busted, meanwhile Cesar Izturis got away for nothing and became a very nice shortstop. But it was OK, becuase Russ Adams was going to be the savior. :laugh:

:cry: I'm depressed now....

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I remember when we had Felipe Lopez and he busted, meanwhile Cesar Izturis got away for nothing and became a very nice shortstop. But it was OK, becuase Russ Adams was going to be the savior. :laugh:

:cry: I'm depressed now....

Why stop there? How bout the legendary Josh phelps? That half season tease in 2002 was only matched by Brett lawrie.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I put Delgado ahead of Bautista. But I imagine it's a little bit of personal preference involved in that close a decision. I could see the case for Alomar ahead too if you're valuing impact and signature moments vs career stats. But Bautista is probably no worse than #5 all time unless you've got a severe axe to grind or a serious case of fanboyism for a particular other player.

meanwhile, is Rex Hudler on crystal meth or something? He's tweaking out on set there...

Delgado/Bautista is too close to call, and I hate giving an individual credit for team success, but the playoffs the last couple years and huge moments are a tie-breaker for me.

And that's hard to say because I grew up with Delgado as THE guy, so it's hard to put someone I have less emotional attachment to ahead of him.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Kevin Pillar on his power spike:

"I've learned to pick and choose my spots to drive the ball"

No you haven't, Kevin. You don't pick and choose anything.

And somewhere, Dwayne Murphy is smiling.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
Most Canadians like Grilli's emotion, but will frown upon Stroman's or Bautista's.

That's....that shouldn't surprise anyone. :laugh:

See and what's odd, is I love Stromans emotion & passion, he is fiery, first guy out of the dugout always to congratulate his teammates. He is the first guy I lock up long term and absolutely do not trade. However, Jose bugs me, not because he is emotional, but because he always seems to run his mouth at the wrong time, IMO. That being said I met a few people this summer who say he is completely opposite off the field and lots of guys are. I will not miss the mouth running Jose I will miss the big moment helped turn the franchise around Jose. I truly hoped he was going to play well enough to consider that mutual option for next season, but sadly it was a tough season for him.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Basically what the guy above said.

The reasons you think Bautista is "an a-hole" are the same reasons you think Stroman is "fiery" and "passionate".

Arguing with umps, shouting at teammates, getting mad when things don't go your way...

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
The reasons you think Bautista is "an a-hole" are the same reasons you think Stroman is "fiery" and "passionate".

Arguing with umps, shouting at teammates, getting mad when things don't go your way...

Not really. One rubs me the wrong way, another one doesn;t. So not same reasons. Somehow the way JoBau does it is much more dick-ish

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not really. One rubs me the wrong way, another one doesn;t. So not same reasons. Somehow the way JoBau does it is much more dick-ish

That's basically my entire point. They're doing the same thing and you're reacting in completely opposite ways to them.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I too have the same issue with Bautista. Passion is good, but not when you make it about yourself and throw teammates under the bus directly (Like with Goins after the error in KC) or indirectly (*****ing at umps to tighten the zone against the whole team). Stroman by contrast uses his fire to start **** in retaliation for other teams throwing at our players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad