RIP Bobby Hull 1939-2023

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
People are free to judge others for their actions but remember what goes around comes around. Long time ago my mom said if you don't got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Some of you were obviously never told this

There's nothing controversial about saying he's got a complicated history, and it's almost impossible to divorce his on ice and off ice behaviours. People accusing other people of being sanctimonious while espousing the same sort of sanctimonious drivel is amusing.

Reactions: imec

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have thoughts that can't be expressed here. I won't celebrate him, but he gave legitimacy to the WHA, effectively formed the principle of the NHLPA, and allowed better people to earn more for what they did. That part will be honoured. The rest will be swept into the garbage where his legacy remains.
No Hull ... no WHA ... no Winnipeg Jets.

I know some of the negatives, but the guy was an addict. He was sick. Doesn't excuse what he did but should encourage forgiveness. Especially from people who were not affected personally.

Reactions: raideralex99

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Your viewpoint on speaking ill of the dead goes against conventional thought on this subject from every region on the planet for the past 2000 years.

"De mortuis nil nisi bonum"
If you're going to quote someone from 2,600 years go, Chilon is probably not your best choice. If we're going to condemn people, Chilon owned more than a thousand slaves and had at least two of them eviscerated for stealing from him.

And he also wrote: Ne linguae sensum praecurrant.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Do you think all his family remember "the good times"? Do you think his victims appreciate seeing the public adulation of the man that hurt them? You're free to practice whatever traditions you wish - and others are free to ignore them.
So why bother posting in this thread?
Take it to the OT thread and feel good about yourself being so perfect.
This thread is to reflect on Hull the hockey player period it’s an RIP thread.
Unless he wronged you personally then you’re just another noisy gong.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Bobby Hull's 1972 signing was absolutely a landmark for Winnipeg hockey history. It was huge for the city, and ranks up there with the Jets being admitted to the NHL, Teemu breaking Bossy's rookie goal record, and the purchase of the Atlanta Thrashers.

To pretend otherwise, is historical revisionism.
Massive Like. Winnipeg would suck even worse in the winter if otherwise.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
LOL

1675118907975.gif

Reactions: Eyeseeing

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
“A lot of bad memories stem from how my dad acted when he was drinking. When he had been drinking, you’d just know that you didn’t want to be around here.”–Michelle, Bobby Hull’s daughter

Reactions: kellhunter and imec

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
“A lot of bad memories stem from how my dad acted when he was drinking. When he had been drinking, you’d just know that you didn’t want to be around here.”–Michelle, Bobby Hull’s daughter
Sounds like many people’s experiences
That’s what I don’t get.
People disappoint that’s life.
That post could be a quote from me truthfully, I didn’t hate my dad but I hated what he did.
Is everyone so perfect that they can judge someone else from afar?
Nobody is condoning this behaviour period.
RIP Bobby thanks for making Winnipeg a major league city.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Wait, I'm not allowed to respond to posts in this thread? I should go to another thread to respond?
Go post in the OT thread yourself - perhaps your insults would fit better there, too. I'll stand by my post in THIS thread.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I had to listen to Bob Irving on CJOB as I drove back into Winnipeg... parse his words... with impatience...

Bob Irving had to put out there what he witnessed and experienced...

Bob witnessed Mr. Hull put in countless hours as a positive volunteer to the Winnipeg community...

Bob went out of his way to say he couldn't speak to all the private stuff as he hadn't witnessed any of it...

I played hockey and baseball with his son Blake for a couple of years... I never saw Mr. Hull during the hockey season... but I saw him a lot during baseball season...

Mr. Hull would be our 1st Base Line Coach and help with individual skills during practice... I only saw a sober, positive, super supportive man to myself and my teammates...

My Father worked with Mr. Hull and his cattle... again nothing but positives from My Father...

I can only judge people from what I observe or those I trust observe...

I'm with Bob Irving... I can only speak to what I observed... R.I.P. Mr. Hull...

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
If you're going to quote someone from 2,600 years go, Chilon is probably not your best choice. If we're going to condemn people, Chilon owned more than a thousand slaves and had at least two of them eviscerated for stealing from him.

And he also wrote: Ne linguae sensum praecurrant.
The takeaway from my post wasn't to call attention to WHO originated the concept of not speaking ill of the dead, but rather HOW LONG this has been a common practice.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hitting wives, assaulting' a police officer, racist and anti-Semitic views all part of his DNA all need to be accounted for on earth not in some imaginary place!

There's a reason True North wanted no part of this guy and why the Black Hawks cut him loose!
Wow...such a productive post. Especially considering this was debated to death twice in the last 6-7 years in the media and online. In fact Hull didn't even attend when he was honoured by the Jets in 2016, due to the negative publicity. Hull obviously brought a lot of the negativity upon himself. However in the last decade of his life, he paid for it dearly in public opinion (an unflattering book, widespread scorn, etc). And perhaps he deserved it.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Wow...such a productive post. Especially considering this was debated to death twice in the last 6-7 years in the media and online. In fact Hull didn't even attend when he was honoured by the Jets in 2016, due to the negative publicity. Hull obviously brought a lot of the negativity upon himself. However in the last decade of his life, he paid for it dearly in public opinion (an unflattering book, widespread scorn, etc). And perhaps he deserved it.

However, IMHO, only bottom feeders will resort to trashing a man that just died. However, not to worry. You will not have to suffer the same fate as Hull, since Hull at least became an NHL star. Whatever your past transgressions are will never be known, since nobody would care one way or another.
Hull trashed his own legacy and anyone who thinks differently must condone spousal abuse, racism and anti-Semitism!

Hull is no hero!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The takeaway from my post wasn't to call attention to WHO originated the concept of not speaking ill of the dead, but rather HOW LONG this has been a common practice.

My guess is at least 2,000 years. In Judaism (the oldest monotheistic religion:

(לח) ... והמוציא שם רע על חבירו הוי בכלל המבייש בדברים ... המדבר רע על שוכני עפר צריך לקבל עליו תעניות ותשובה ועונש ממון כפי ראות ב"ד. ואם קבורים בסמוך לו ילך על קבריהם ויבקש מהם מחילה ואם הם רחוקים ישלח שם שלוחו...:

Shulchan Arukh, Choshen Mishpat 420:38
... and one who slanders his fellow is included in 'shaming with words'.... One who speaks ill of those laying in the earth (buried) must accept upon himself fasting, Teshuvah and fines as the Beit Din sees fit. If they are buried near him, he should go to their graves and request their forgiveness. If they are far, he should send his proxy.
---

My assumption is it probably dates back further, and predates the Torah, and the Jewish religion.

Nov 24, 2006
Never knew this backstory about Bobby Hull, but as they say, you can either separate the art from the artist or you can’t.

Personally, i think you have to separate them lest we just wind up hating everyone eventually. Led Zeppelin as one example. Dig too deeply and you’ll have some thinking to do next time The Immigrant Song comes on. A lot of people with fame and money can be a saint or an asshole depending on how closely you want to look.

This is not a hill for me to die on so I’ll just say RIP to a hockey legend.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hull trashed his own legacy and anyone who thinks differently must condone spousal abuse, racism and anti-Semitism!

Hull is no hero!
First off, when did Hull say anything antisemitic? I know he said there were too many Black people in the USA, but other than "Hitler had some good ideas" which does not necessarily indicate antisemitism, what is your proof.

Secondly, I doubt any of us are condoning what Hull did. Hypothetically speaking, if one is still a fan of Hull, it's ridiculous to say that they "Must condone spousal abuse, racism, and antisemitism."

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country

Hull is no hero!
Absolutely not but he had a mad clapper and could skate like no other. So there are those items. He was a a true physical marvel especially for a guy my size lol.

Reactions: sipowicz

enuffidiotsalready

Nov 25, 2019
I believe my post stated no one was defending Hull's personal life.

Was it your intent to prove me wrong by quoting these two posts from @Eyeseeing & @Jets4Life?

Neither defended Hull's personal life. The takeaway from both their posts was actually against people like yourself who are fixated on Hull's well established warts. This is a hockey forum, one which has its base rule being to talk hockey & to not thread jack.

Talking ill of the dead has been socially inappropriate for thousands of years & this is particularly true in the immediate aftermath of ones passing.

You're in a dead mans RIP page. It's shameful behaviour.
a dead monster is just that. he made his choices, same as we all do. some people can't stand by in blissful ignorance.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph in the world is that good men do nothing" - Burke​

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
No Hull ... no WHA ... no Winnipeg Jets.

I know some of the negatives, but the guy was an addict. He was sick. Doesn't excuse what he did but should encourage forgiveness. Especially from people who were not affected personally.

I'll just address this post.

I will admit to having an alcohol problem. My sponsor (AA) was a great guy. He was 50, Indigenous, going to college for social work. He did a 8 1/2 year stint at Stony Mountain. Apparently after a bender, he found a man in bed with his wife, and nearly beat him to death. In prison, he joined AA, became a model prisoner, and started working with at risk youth to discourage them from gang life, and is involved in the community.

Now my question is this: The man he beat had permanent injuries, although my sponsor reached out for forgiveness. Should he be judged for eternity due to bad acts he committed when he was sick with alcoholism? People can change.

As for Hull, I have no idea if he reformed, quit drinking (I heard he could be a monster when inebriated), or if he asked for forgiveness. It's not my place to judge. All I know is he was instrumental in the early success of the Jets,a nd possibly the reason they were able to be absorbed into the NHL. He also did charity work, and went out of his way to greet fans.

That does not obviously absolve him of some of the bad things that he did, and I was really disappointed when I learned about Hull's treatment of women 20 years ago. Should he be forgive? That's ultimately between him and his maker.

However, I guess I grew up in an environment where it was frowned upon to speak ill of the dead. I just don't understand what the point of it would be, but perhaps I am missing something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad