RIP Bobby Hull 1939-2023

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I have thoughts that can't be expressed here. I won't celebrate him, but he gave legitimacy to the WHA, effectively formed the principle of the NHLPA, and allowed better people to earn more for what they did. That part will be honoured. The rest will be swept into the garbage where his legacy remains.
That post says more about you, than it does Bobby Hull.

It's a hockey forum. I'm putting this up since on-ice he contributed so much to professional hockey in Winnipeg. Bobby Hull obviously was far from perfect and the big guy upstairs will judge him for that, but trashing anyone upon the news of their death is a classless move.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
That post says more about you, than it does Bobby Hull.

It's a hockey forum. I'm putting this up since on-ice he contributed so much to professional hockey in Winnipeg. Bobby Hull obviously was far from perfect and the big guy upstairs will judge him for that, but trashing anyone upon the news of their death is a dick move.

Yes, it says a lot about me that I'm unable to separate the person on ice from the person he was in real life. People don't all of a sudden become saints just because they die. Never meet your heroes.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Before my time, but he certainly put hockey on the map here. Wonder if/when he’ll be honoured by True North?

Reactions: Fairview

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Bobby Hull was well before my time in terms of cheering for the Jets. That being said, I've always appreciated learning and hearing the countless stories from fans from the 1.0 era. The Hot Line was such an iconic part of Winnipeg Jets History and will live on forever. Hull was one of the most pure goal scorers to ever lace them up.

Also, important to note that the Million Dollar Contract was a defining moment in not only Winnipeg history, but hockey history, for that matter.

A moment that would go on to influence the game and player compensation forever.

RIP Mr. Hull.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hull was honoured in 2016 by True North. I can't really see them honouring Bobby with a statue, like with Ducky.
No, I don’t see a statue or anything either. That’s for Ducky only and having another one for Hull takes away from Dale’s IMO and would also be criticized. I just mean I wonder if there will be a tribute or anything for him, like a video package and a moment of silence.

Reactions: Fairview

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He was truly a great one in NHL history, and could really control a game. I saw many games he played with the Hawks, and Jets, where he did just that. If he would have gotten along with newly appointed Jet's GM, John Ferguson, he likely would have played 5 more years. Hull hated Ferguson, and you can't blame him, as Ferguson punched him in the mouth when he had a broken jaw and his jaw was wired shut.(oouch) I actually think he was underrated in a way, as he still had a lot more hockey in him. Ferguson repeatedly asked him to come back and play, but Hull refused.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Before my time, but he certainly put hockey on the map here. Wonder if/when he’ll be honoured by True North?
He certainly did put Winnipeg on the "hockey map". However, given his past penchant for spousal abuse (Look it up. It's easy find.) and True North's "sensitivity" regarding all sorts of things, I'm guessing not. Just my opinion.

Reactions: snowkiddin

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Retire the #9 for good
This!

He certainly did put Winnipeg on the "hockey map". However, given his past penchant for spousal abuse (Look it up. It's easy find.) and True North's "sensitivity" regarding all sorts of things, I'm guessing not. Just my opinion.
… and yet Ovechkin continues to get a pass. My point is, if one gets a pass to concentrate solely on hockey contributions, so should the other.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I grew up in Winnipeg and was 12-years-old when he signed with the WHA Jets. I went to dozens of Jets games during the WHA years, and probably saw him play in person as much as anyone else on this forum. I was at the game when he scored his 50th goal in 50 games (against the Houston Aeros). I was at the game when he scored his 77th goal, breaking Phil Esposito's record of 76 (against San Diego). I met him numerous times, and probably have over a dozen of his autographs to this day. He was never less than a gracious, happy guy with children, and never...EVER...turned down an autograph request. The best ambassador hockey has ever had, during his playing days. And the line of Hedberg-Hull-Nilsson is still, to this day, the best line I've ever seen. Glen Sather and the '80s Edmonton Oilers admitted publicly that they were the influences of those great Oiler teams.

If not for Bobby Hull, no WHA. If not for the WHA, no teams, ever, in Winnipeg, Edmonton, probably Calgary and Ottawa, Carolina (New England Whalers WHA), Colorado (Quebec Nordiques WHA), Arizona (Winnipeg Jets WHA), and possibly the entire southern US; at minimum, it would have happened years later.

Also, the WHA Jets had 12 Europeans at one time, when no other team (Toronto) had more than two, so that's another thing that started with Hull's influence.

Not the greatest player of all time, not nearly, but very possibly the most influential to what the game has become.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
This!

… and yet Ovechkin continues to get a pass. My point is, if one gets a pass to concentrate solely on hockey contributions, so should the other.
It should be like this, and at one time it was like this. However, with the advent on social media, nothing suprises me. As I said before, it says more about a man pissing on someone's grave, than it does the man who just passed away (warts and all).

Same thing happened to Kobe Bryant in 2020. After a helicopter crash took the lives of him and his 12 year old daughter, not even an hour later, these idiots are bringing up his rape case from 20 years prior. Like can't people at least wait a few days to let his friends, family, and fans mourn him first?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Also, important to note that the Million Dollar Contract was a defining moment in not only Winnipeg history, but hockey history, for that matter.

A moment that would go on to influence the game and player compensation forever.

RIP Mr. Hull.
Bobby Hull signing with Winnipeg wasn’t just a landmark moment for Winnipeg or for hockey history.

Rather it ushered in a new era with regards to free agency in all professional sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad