RIP Bobby Hull 1939-2023

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Some shaky reasoning there. He was nice to you so can’t be a bad person. Even though multiple reports about him beating his wife.

Can you be thankful for his on ice contributions and still have questions about what kind of person he was off it?
Why is it so important in his case to some people? Could the commentary be balanced by mentioning how generous and friendly he was to the fans and the community (particularly to kids). In my book, being good to kids goes a long way to balancing the scales.

And I’ve said it before so I’ll say it again, it boggles my mind how hockey fans can judge sins from decades past for a former face of hockey, but conveniently turn a blind eye to a current star who continues to show support to the most evil man of current times.

Reactions: Fairview

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Let me make it clear first and foremost that I’m not an Ovechkin fan.

Although I understand your argument by comparing Hull and Ovechkin, I don’t think it works. Hull was not born into a Hitler-led Germany, nor did his family live there while he played hockey elsewhere. Hull, of his own volition and without being indoctrinated/forced to believe that Hitler had good ideas or was a great ruler, came to that conclusion on his own as an outsider, even with the hindsight and knowledge of the atrocities of the Holocaust.

Nor did I make any statement supporting others who I believe to have done wrong. I will note however that in Patrick Roy’s case, there was a single incident in 2000. I’m not commending him for “only” abusing/intimidating his wife once (at least to the public’s knowledge), rather that Bobby Hull was well-known to have repeatedly physically abused his wives as well-documented. Again, I don’t think they are comparable.

People do make mistakes and I believe there is room for forgiveness, within reason and assuming they don’t choose to make those same mistakes for decades. Volunteering or being a good buddy doesn’t absolve you of those decades’ worth of mistakes, unfortunately.
Imagine being so out of touch with how the World is today, that one has to bring up some tasteless soundbites to a Russian newspaper over 25 years ago to smear his name? Look at who America elected President from 2017-21. Hull is no Kanye West. I'm not defending Hull for what he said to a Russian newspaper, but it is incredibly tame compared to what some leaders in our own country are saying and doing in the past year.

Domestic violence is what bothers me personally. I don't know Bobby Hull, and I don't know if he tried to make amends for his treatment of women in the past, but ultimately the man was deeply flawed, and in 2016 this was exposed to the general public, when it was well publicised in the local media. I can only hope Bobby Hull reformed at some point by the late 80s, and changed his ways.

On that note, people who are hell bent on dragging Hull through the mud are indirectly hurting his loved ones, including his friends and family:

Last edited:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Imagine being so out of touch with reality that one has to bring up some tasteless soundbites to a Russian newspaper over 25 years ago to smear his name? Have you been living in a cave for the past 10 years? Look at who America elected President from 2017-21. Hull is no Kanye West. I'm not defending Hull for what he said to a Russian newspaper, but it is incredibly tame compared to what some leaders in our own country are saying and doing in the past year.

Domestic violence is what bothers me personally. I don't know Bobby Hull, and I don't know if he tried to make amends for his treatment of women in the past, but ultimately the man was flawed, and in 2016 this was exposed to the general public, when it was well publicised in the local media. I can only hope Bobby Hull reformed at some point by the late 80s, and changed his ways.

On that note, people who are hell bent on dragging Hull through the mud are indirectly hurting his loved ones, including his friends and family:

Jude Hull’s tweet reminded me that Joanne Hull was Jude’s grandmother. Joanne was Bobby’s kids mother. The family forgave him, and their opinions count a helluva lot more than “fans” who are mere strangers to the Hull family.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Why is it so important in his case to some people? Could the commentary be balanced by mentioning how generous and friendly he was to the fans and the community (particularly to kids). In my book, being good to kids goes a long way to balancing the scales.

And I’ve said it before so I’ll say it again, it boggles my mind how hockey fans can judge sins from decades past for a former face of hockey, but conveniently turn a blind eye to a current star who continues to show support to the most evil man of current times.
Are we talking about signing autographs which I think should be considered part of the job. For instance, if I am having a bad day at work I still have to be friendly. Celebrities, athletes signing autographs is fair game as most of the time it’s a trade off between getting free meals and signing a few autographs. Also, who wouldn’t want to sign autographs and be treated like someone special. That ppl desperately just want to be near you win or lose.
Also, if we are bringing kids into conversation is that the message you want to send? Be good enough at your job, sign a few autographs and people will forgive everything and anything you want to do in your personal life Little Danny.

I’m not talking about his comments. Ppl say dumb things.
But, why is it so important that he might have beat up women multiple times is that the question? How far are you willing to give someone a pass if this is true? How many autographs do you need to sign, street hockey games do you need to play, baseball games do you have to coach?

Also, the whole he had a disease argument I think hurts people as the truth is most people with mental health issues or alcoholics are not violent, but grouping them together by dismissing it as alcoholism paints them all into a negative light.

Also, I’m not treating Hull unfairly against Ovi as if he is also a domestic abuser then I don’t care for him as a person and am impressed by what he is doing on the ice but wouldn’t be giving him accolades off-ice. I don’t care how many autographs he signed or if he donated millions of dollars to cure cancer. I’ll be happy if cancer is gone but still won’t rush to his character’s defence.

Last edited:
Reactions: imec

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad