Rinaldo slew foots Parise, Kovalchuk destroys Schenn

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Yeah I don't understand this notion that Kovalchuk is some fearsome fighter. He's big and strong but Iginla is also very, very strong with more experience fighting, including wins over guys 20 lbs heavier.

Definitely. I think Kovy could hold his own, but Iggy would definitely win that match up.

Canuckle

West Coast Express
Feb 20, 2008
I dislike the leafs, so its natural i dislike schenn, thus it was easy for me to root for kovy in this fight against toronto's little brother. What a punch! in the face!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Kovalchuk is a built mofo

He's built like a garbage bag filled with cottage cheese.

Ilya-Kovalchuk-kilts-452554_360_504-russian-hockey-player.jpg

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
That's how Kovy fights. He uses his leg strength to throw his opponent around and flails around throwing haymakers hoping to connect. He usually does OK because he's so damn strong, but it's not something that would work against a heavyweight.

I'm as impressed with the dodge just before the punch as the punch itself.

This, and I'm surprised it took this long to be pointed out.

People here are seriously underrating the skill that Kovalchuk displayed in that fight. It was vintage James Toney, the way he rolled his shoulder and came back with a counter power punch. Kinda like how Mayweather fights, but he doesn't counter with haymakers. But either way, only the best counterpunch that well.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
He won a fight against a 20 year old who's 40 pounds lighter than him. Iginla would destroy Kovalchuk.

Ha! A red, white and blue pom-pommer criticizing Kovy. Who'd have imagined?

Sure, and your two mercenary "stars" - Gaborik and Richards - would hide in the corner were a fight to break out, "One in 71 years" breath. :shakehead

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
There's no way thats him, the dudes 235 pounds.

Haha.

Believe it, that is a real picture of him.....from the early 2000's. Used to be on his official russian webpage years wayback..

I mean, that was like 8-10 years ago, a kids do grow up!

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Ha! A red, white and blue pom-pommer criticizing Kovy. Who'd have imagined?

Sure, and your two mercenary "stars" - Gaborik and Richards - would hide in the corner were a fight to break out, "One in 71 years" breath. :shakehead

How is questioning that Kovy is the 'best fighting star' being a pom-pommer? You do realize that there are guys like Iginla, Chara, Hartnell (I guess he's a star this year, lol) who are far more experienced scrapping and with legitimate opponents. Let's keep this in perspective. Kovy fought a rookie that's 10 years younger and at least 20 lbs lighter. He didn't take down some fearsome fighter, he essentially took down someone that's on the bottom of the fighting ladder.

And it's not like I would be defending a Flyers player in the first place, I hate them far more than I do the Debbies.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
How is questioning that Kovy is the 'best fighting star' being a pom-pommer? You do realize that there are guys like Iginla, Chara, Hartnell (I guess he's a star this year, lol) who are far more experienced scrapping and with legitimate opponents. Let's keep this in perspective. Kovy fought a rookie that's 10 years younger and at least 20 lbs lighter. He didn't take down some fearsome fighter, he essentially took down someone that's on the bottom of the fighting ladder.

And it's not like I would be defending a Flyers player in the first place, I hate them far more than I do the Debbies.

But it misses the point of the incident entirely.

I'm certainly not here to suggest Kovy is some killer fighter. But he stood up, without hesitation, for his teammate. And he didn't shy away. That's commendable. And, it's more commendable when your top players do it - don't take my word for it, listen to NJD's players in the 24 hours since. They respect it, bigtime.

To point out Schenn's height/weight suggests that: a) Kovy purposely was picking on a smaller guy and b) they have the time to sort out fighting partners on the ice. Schenn wanted to fight Kovy. Kovy obliged. Good for both players for showing up. And the noob was taught a lesson.

PS - the "rookie" crap is just that. Must we always coddle the chilllldren? The rookie Rinaldo had no issues with giving the vet Parise a slewfoot.

Why not leave it at that?

To that point...

Really kovy is a *****. Let him fight someone like Jody. I give the Kid credit for showing up. But I would advise him to pick on someone his own size.

Riiiiight. Kovy should waste his time fighting a goon. Cool. Then your pretty boys Giroux and the concussed Briere should take on Eric Boulton. Hint: doesn't work that way in the NHL. There is a pecking order. The fact that a star stepped up is the story, regardless of the outcome of the fight. Good for him, good for the rook, despite the outcome for him.

Slew Footing is a joke now is it?

It is if you have never played the game competitively.

The dirtiest move in the book. And dangerous. But one can't appreciate that just playing EA sports.

Last edited:

Avec Fromage*

I dislike the leafs, so its natural i dislike schenn, thus it was easy for me to root for kovy in this fight against toronto's little brother. What a punch! in the face!

Ah, Vancouver's hate of Toronto... a classic case of Napoleon complex.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I watched the video of the so called slewfoot by rinaldo he gets fined for that what a joke everyone making more out of it.It wasnt that bad and as far as Schenn getting KO by kovy his fault he should have known better and rinaldo was in the scrum he could have took care of kovy schenn didnt have to jump in..:rant:

:huh:

Perfect definition of a slew-foot.

They'll probably use that video as an example of what not to do.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

LMAO someone said let the 100 million dollar man fight jody shelley? :laugh:

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
This, and I'm surprised it took this long to be pointed out.

People here are seriously underrating the skill that Kovalchuk displayed in that fight. It was vintage James Toney, the way he rolled his shoulder and came back with a counter power punch. Kinda like how Mayweather fights, but he doesn't counter with haymakers. But either way, only the best counterpunch that well.

hahahahah.. oh wait.. you're not serious are you?

This.. all over... 4 times.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
Agreed, this is a classic example of those extra years Kovy has had in the weight room over Schenn. He doesn't have that over a guy like Iggy.

I mean, just a for-instance, look back to the 04 Finals when Lecavalier challenged Iginla. Vinny is similar to Kovalchuk in size, about 220 pounds and actually having stood eye to eye with them both I would say Lecavalier has the more impressive physique.

Lecavalier showed up but Iginla laughed his way through the fight (literally) and didn't let Vinny give him so much as a paper cut. Lecavalier fights a little more regularly than Kovalchuk, too, though we are talking the difference between maybe once a year and three times a year there.

iHateDonovan

Feb 7, 2012
Philly
Being a Flyer's fan and knowing Kovy's strength and skill I cringed when I saw Schenn drop the gloves. Being Schenn is 19 and have been in his fair share of scraps in the NHL I thought he might be able to land a shot or two and just grab on to Kovy. That was not the case..Schenn got a taste of what it's like to fight the "big boys" and I thank Kovy for that. Jody was probably grinding his teeth...

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
And, you also have to keep in mind that Brayden Schenn has had concussions. To me, that was purely a chicken move by Zac Rinaldo to not answer the bell.

Rinaldo should have been suspended.

I like what Kovy did---his strength is really underrated...he is 230 pounds and is a point-a-game player now that he has fit in with the Devils.

mtxed

Aug 17, 2007
Rinaldo is a *****. His only job in the NHL is to fight and he shies away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad