Confirmed with Link: Rights of Jayden Grubbe to Edmonton for 5th rounder in 2023

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Closes the book on any nagging questions about how we managed him as far as I'm concerned. A 5th rounder is pretty fair value, even if we hadn't let it be known his rights would expire.
Not sure what you're saying...you think Edmonton didn't know?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Not sure what you're saying...you think Edmonton didn't know?

Didn't know that his rights were going to expire?

No, I mean that us letting his rights expire was still a little puzzling to me. But getting this return makes it all water under the bridge now. Doesn't matter why we decided to let him walk; we recouped about what he was worth.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Lots of people chiming in about shit they know nothing about here. We have no idea why he wouldn’t sign here, you can’t just pin this on the org with no evidence.

Drury, as usual, failing to keep his fans informed.

Everyone loses.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
People ran with the narrative that he didn't want to play here.. I guess it's possible.. probably just as simple as the Rangers didn't think he progressed enough to offer him a contract. We just got Berard in the 5th round.. I'll gladly take this pick

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
People ran with the narrative that he didn't want to play here.. I guess it's possible.. probably just as simple as the Rangers didn't think he progressed enough to offer him a contract. We just got Berard in the 5th round.. I'll gladly take this pick

Speaking of 5th Barbashev is another prospect I like a lot. I hope they actually sign him. He had a good year. I wonder if he gets signed this summer although has one more year left in juniors but progressing nicely.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yes. The Rangers did not offer him an ELC. They informed him in March about this.
Right. But there was some conjecture that Grubbe indicated he wanted to get away from the organization. Maybe it was more of a mutual parting ways.

I have no idea, just from what I’ve read here.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Right. But there was some conjecture that Grubbe indicated he wanted to get away from the organization. Maybe it was more of a mutual parting ways.

I have no idea, just from what I’ve read here.
I was one, perhaps the first, to speculate he may not want to sign here. That was mainly due to the unusual circumstance where (apparently) the team didn't think he was worth a contract but did think other teams would trade an asset for him. Guys go unsigned all the time but are rarely traded; it seemed to make more sense if it was done because Grubbe didn't want to sign. But, if that's not the case, then who knows.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was one, perhaps the first, to speculate he may not want to sign here. That was mainly due to the unusual circumstance where (apparently) the team didn't think he was worth a contract but did think other teams would trade an asset for him. Guys go unsigned all the time but are rarely traded; it seemed to make more sense if it was done because Grubbe didn't want to sign. But, if that's not the case, then who knows.

With McConnell-Barker, Henriksson, Edström, Rempe and Korczak all under contract, and the season Noah Laba had, he was just falling down the depth chart to the point where the Rangers didn't see a reason to sign him.

Usually teams want to just let a guy re-enter the draft and pick them late but Edmonton basically cut that off by trading a pick they otherwise would have used to select him. Eliminating the competition, so to speak.

With guys like Evan Vierling, Ryan Mantha and Brad Morrison (To name some random examples) teams were comfortable enough to let them go undrafted a 2nd time and they signed either an ELC or AHL deal with teams after that.

Maybe Grubbe was just higher on the Oilers list.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
With McConnell-Barker, Henriksson, Edström, Rempe and Korczak all under contract, and the season Noah Laba had, he was just falling down the depth chart to the point where the Rangers didn't see a reason to sign him.

Usually teams want to just let a guy re-enter the draft and pick them late but Edmonton basically cut that off by trading a pick they otherwise would have used to select him. Eliminating the competition, so to speak.

With guys like Evan Vierling, Ryan Mantha and Brad Morrison (To name some random examples) teams were comfortable enough to let them go undrafted a 2nd time and they signed either an ELC or AHL deal with teams after that.

Maybe Grubbe was just higher on the Oilers list.
I get all that, it was just the reports that the Rangers actively notified other teams they wouldn't be signing him and shopped him around. That to me seems unusual. I can't recall another report of a time where we had a draft pick that we weren't going to sign, but we actively tried to move them. Most of the time we hear absolutely nothing and on the signing deadline we find out that X and Y weren't offered contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad