Confirmed with Link: Rights of Jayden Grubbe to Edmonton for 5th rounder in 2023

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The part I don't get is that by most accounts, he has had good D+1 and D+2 seasons based on the injury he had. If he didn't meet the expectations of a 3rd rounder with the injury history he had, what were the expectations?

Reactions: RangersFan1994

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Where are getting this "tough physical" from? Him being 6'3"?
The report on him was always good leadership and defensively responsible.
Had about five fights total on Hockey fights. The latest being this past November where he got lit up pretty good by a 17 year old slightly smaller than him...
I haven't been able to find hit stats. Maybe he hits. Do you have stats?
And his numbers in the CHL for a 20 year old were nothing to indicate "skilled"...
I was hoping for a good bottom sixer, but who knows?
The tracking for hits is probably worse than the tracking on hits in the NHL. However, Brent Sutter said talked a little about him. I don't really think he developed much in a way that we're missing out, but if he sacrificed offense for defense, I guess his point production, or lack there makes sense. Oviously a lot has changed since we're talking about a 16/17 year old at that time.

"Sutter and Grubbe sat down for a meeting. They talked about what it would take for Grubbe to take the next step, to get to the next level. They talked about being a big, strong guy who's hard to play against. They talked about responsibility at both ends of the ice. They talked about the commitment it would take, the hard work it would take, the sacrifice it would take to get to where he wanted to be.

Then, for the next six months, Sutter saw Grubbe do each and every one of those things.

Grubbe sacrificed offense for defense. He spent countless hours in the video room with his coaches. He became something Sutter and his staff were always hoping he would be: a complete player.

"We knew right when he was coming back to camp that we were going to name him captain," "He's one of those guys that plays for keeps every night," Sutter said. "His intensity is through the roof. To me, he's going to be a real solid National Hockey League player that brings the toughness that you love down the middle, brings the two-way game down the middle - someone a coach can put in in any situation, if needed.

"He's going to have a role, and whatever coach who coaches him finds that role [to be], he'll be exceptional at it. He's so driven and so disciplined in everything he does. The sky's the limit for this kid.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Imagine if all future prospects all the suddenly stopped signing here. What are the chances that happens? Has it green that bad with young players here?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
The part I don't get is that by most accounts, he has had good D+1 and D+2 seasons based on the injury he had. If he didn't meet the expectations of a 3rd rounder with the injury history he had, what were the expectations?

Being injury-prone, or Rangers interpreting such as injury-prone, can be a factor.

One that I would accept.

You joke about this, but that has been brought up by certain family members of prospects :laugh:

tbf, is there anything more biased than family*?

*if you got the right kind of family

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Being injury-prone, or Rangers interpreting such as injury-prone, can be a factor.

One that I would accept.

But they drafted him AFTER his major injury. He hasn't had a major injury since, just took time to get back up to speed

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Weird to me that any 3rd round pick would decline any team. Its one thing to do if you are Eric Lindros but a 3rd round pick? Is this a generation thing?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Yes, not sure where that is coming from. @Amazing Kreiderman confirmed he wasn't offered a contract by the Rangers
I think it's a little of column A and a little of column B. Grubbe gets dealt to Edmonton where he can still be close to home and the Rangers get something back instead of nothing for his rights. Win/win for everyone.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
The tracking for hits is probably worse than the tracking on hits in the NHL. However, Brent Sutter said talked a little about him. I don't really think he developed much in a way that we're missing out, but if he sacrificed offense for defense, I guess his point production, or lack there makes sense. Oviously a lot has changed since we're talking about a 16/17 year old at that time.

"Sutter and Grubbe sat down for a meeting. They talked about what it would take for Grubbe to take the next step, to get to the next level. They talked about being a big, strong guy who's hard to play against. They talked about responsibility at both ends of the ice. They talked about the commitment it would take, the hard work it would take, the sacrifice it would take to get to where he wanted to be.

Then, for the next six months, Sutter saw Grubbe do each and every one of those things.

Grubbe sacrificed offense for defense. He spent countless hours in the video room with his coaches. He became something Sutter and his staff were always hoping he would be: a complete player.

"We knew right when he was coming back to camp that we were going to name him captain," "He's one of those guys that plays for keeps every night," Sutter said. "His intensity is through the roof. To me, he's going to be a real solid National Hockey League player that brings the toughness that you love down the middle, brings the two-way game down the middle - someone a coach can put in in any situation, if needed.

"He's going to have a role, and whatever coach who coaches him finds that role [to be], he'll be exceptional at it. He's so driven and so disciplined in everything he does. The sky's the limit for this kid.
Not going to lie, I was hoping NYR would sign him, but about a ppg in his D+2 in the CHL, his second after his injury, doesn't scream "sky's the limit"... I think the limit was pretty much 3C. More likely 4C or AHL. But still, I was hoping they'd sign him because of that hard work attitude, leadership, and defensive responsibility.
Time will tell. I'm sure if he does well, this board will let me know. Forever. Hahahaha.

Yes, not sure where that is coming from. @Amazing Kreiderman confirmed he wasn't offered a contract by the Rangers
In all fairness, if you talk to an agent and they are indicating he doesnt want to sign, you don't make the offer. But AKM also said he wanted an offer, so...

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
But they drafted him AFTER his major injury. He hasn't had a major injury since, just took time to get back up to speed

That's fair. Idk the path of Grubbe at all. I'll certainly believe the FO got scared because of some perceived injury-proneness.

In the end I'm not gonna lose sleep over Grubbe.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Sure, they talk from the perspective of a family member who sacrificed years of time and money to get their brother/son/grandson/nephew to where they are now.

They will be biased, but that doesn't change the fact that concerns about the Rangers' questionable development reach those family members and shape their opinion on the org.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Weird to me that any 3rd round pick would decline any team. Its one thing to do if you are Eric Lindros but a 3rd round pick? Is this a generation thing?
I don't know if he declined or if the organization wasn't signing him. Drury said in April they were unlikely to sign him so I don't think an offer was made.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's already been brought up.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
if it were me I would have signed Grubbe because I think he was progressing and there's still a path for him to the Rangers as a bottom 6 forward (but maybe that's not how Drury sees the situation).....most likely a 4th liner though. Looking ahead at least the moment the Rangers have 1C, 2C and 3C kind of locked up with long term deals to Mika, Trocheck and Chytil and I don't see any of our current prospects passing any of them by any time soon and I don't see any of them on the trading block for the next couple/three seasons anyway.

So basically for the center prospects we have it's 4th line or become a winger. McConnell-Barker IMO is really the only guy I can see who has a shot at even pushing for a top 9 spot in our lineup.
Speaking of our center prospects we have BMB, Edstrom, Trivigno, Henriksson, Rempe and Korczak and maybe in Drury's mind Grubbe would be just another guy with bottom line expectations and a somewhat similar as far as a grinding, physical game to Edstrom and Rempe. He and the Rangers scouts might also see someone like Edstrom as ready or close to ready to step into the 4c role and in that case Grubbe would just have been another lower expectations guy but without a path anymore. BMB has the highest upside. The Rangers have been looking to add someone of Edstrom's size to the lineup for a while. Rempe kind of falls into that same category though he needs more development. That said he's also got an agitator and fighting component to his game. From what I understand the Rangers really like Henriksson's play away from the puck. He's a low scoring but a smart player. Korczak needs to make the jump to the pros well. That might happen....that might not. Trivigno is sneaky good and a buzzsaw but he doesn't have a center path to the Rangers. He'll have to figure something else out.

Right now if we're looking at a in house 4c it looks like Edstrom's the guy.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i would have preferred he signed w NYR
but the baseless speculation, conspiracy theories and mudslinging here is so consistent and predictable, it ain't even interesting or amusing
we don't know why
but it probably wasn't "he was exactly what we needed, so we had to decline"

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Seemed like a good potential 4C. Nothing special but a decent prospect. I don't think his stock really improved since the draft though so a fifth is probably about right in a trade. In the upcoming draft that's about where I'd have expected he go this time, 4th-5th.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
btw these non-signings are not rare,

1685570912069.png

wonder if NYR should consider Ben Roger, 6'4" LD out of Q
he was -16, but 3 other regular D were also -12 or worse

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Ad

Upcoming events