Speculation: Rielly's Next Contract

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Doug Hamilton type money.

Do you think Calgary would trade Hamilton even up for Rielly, I say no.

Do you think TO would trade Rielly for Hamilton even up, I say in a heart beat.

People are insisting that Rielly is a star in the making, it's his 3rd year in the NHL and stars don't usually take 4 or 5 years to start impacting the games as the stars they're going to become. Rielly can look like a star for portions of a game here or there but what he can't do is consistently bring it.

At most sign him to a Gardiner contract even tho Gardiner is a better d-man than Rielly now. There's no need to rush to judgement, let him earn it.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
That's what I want- a short term deal to get more data to see if he's going to develop into a true #1, or more of Letang type offensive centric top pairing guy. Or worst case scenario he plateaus as a top 4 guy rather than a top pairing player at all.

This seems like the sensible thing to do. At this point, I just don't buy all the excuses for Rielly 's defensive woes and lacklustre offensive production. Show me and I will happily pay - much like how Kadri has been handled. The jury is still out whether or not he is top pairing material.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

People are insisting that Rielly is a star in the making, it's his 3rd year in the NHL and stars don't usually take 4 or 5 years to start impacting the games as the stars they're going to become. Rielly can look like a star for portions of a game here or there but what he can't do is consistently bring it.

At most sign him to a Gardiner contract even tho Gardiner is a better d-man than Rielly now. There's no need to rush to judgement, let him earn it.

umm, no thanks. Sideways move at best.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

I wouldn't trade Rielly for Hamilton and I doubt Leafs mgmt would. Giving him the 8 year contract your betting that he does become the #1 down the road so you can have him on a sweetheart deal, it's a risk but outside of DD, defenseman at Rielly's age usually aren't playing at the level MR44 is playing right now.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

Let me just remind you; he's 21 years old.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

Absolutely agree. Let this guy earn his paycheck. Sick and tired of this team overpaying to retain their players because the hope is they can eventually play up to their contract.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

Doug Hamilton 3 more points in 1 more game played. Doesn't kill penalties. Sounds like another Gardiner.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Would usually agree with that statement but the lack of power play time this season has hurt his point totals.

A few star/#1 defenceman who hit their offensive stride in year four:

Larsson
Subban
Keith

For now management can pencil him in as a #2 until proven otherwise. A 6 year/5.5m per is the type of deal I envision the leafs signing him to. Rielly gets above market value while the leafs buy two years of free agency at a bargain.

Next season will be the year which will decide whether he's a #1 or #2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad