GDT: Rico'll Be Home For Christmas: Ducks @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
As much as I'd like it emotionally, I don't see any realistic way that Rico comes back (at least now right now).

The impetus for the trade was that Shero wasn't going to re-sign Henrique to a market value contract. If the Devils do the Hradek deal for EK (or something similar) and are in desperate need of a 2C in a couple of years, maybe that changes. But until then, I don't see how $6+ million a year for Henrique fits into the current salary structure.

Btw, I also think Henrique puts up 30-30 in the next couple of years. He's got something to prove, and I think he's going to take his game to another level because of that.

A lot would have to happen for us to have a need for Henrique when his contract expires. I'm just glad the two parties left that door open, for morale's sake. When you have jolting trades that leave bad tastes in everyone's mouths (a la Hall or Subban), it's nice to see one where both sides part on good terms.

Side note - what's the "Hradek deal" for Karlsson? I must've missed that.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
A lot would have to happen for us to have a need for Henrique when his contract expires. I'm just glad the two parties left that door open, for morale's sake. When you have jolting trades that leave bad tastes in everyone's mouths (a la Hall or Subban), it's nice to see one where both sides part on good terms.

Side note - what's the "Hradek deal" for Karlsson? I must've missed that.

they were debating which teams could put together a proposed package for Karlsson

from the Devils, it was something like Severson, Zacha, McLeod, and two firsts for Karsson and a 2nd or something like that

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
they were debating which teams could put together a proposed package for Karlsson

from the Devils, it was something like Severson, Zacha, McLeod, and two firsts for Karsson and a 2nd or something like that

Karlsson looks like trash/hurt this season and that deal cripples the Devils future.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Jesus.

I just don't think the organization is quite in the position to make a blockbuster like that. We've finally achieved quality depth; I'm not interested in turning right around and decimating it.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

Right. Severson, Zacha, McLeod, and a 2018 first.

We swap a (hopefully late) first for a (hopefully early) second in 2019 *if* EK resigns. I tend to agree with those that say parting with Zacha *and* McLeod is a big ask, but it is a tempting offer.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
You're slacking man. I need wallpaper material. Get your **** together.

:laugh: go check RG's thread, I've thrown a few in there. Will have to do some searching within the next week as I'm sure there are more available with more games played since the last time I posted them.

I know some people give him flack around here, but John Moore played one heck of a game. By far our best defenseman. I think he's taken strides defensively and he's much more aware and more physical. When he puts it all together like that, with his skating he can look so good.

I have had similar thoughts regarding Moore as well. Still has his issues, but he has taken plenty of steps in the right direction and looks more well rounded this season.

Very good, detailed article. Found this quote to be relative to our current situation regarding our own management and ticketing department being so out of touch and run by people not even working solely for this organization.

"If you talk to season-ticket holders now, they feel like where the customer service is now ... they’re ecstatic,” Waddell said. “They know who to call. Every season-ticket holder has a personal rep. If they need something, it gets taken care of quickly. I’m not sure where we’d be with season tickets. I think our ticket department has done a tremendous job of being able to raise our numbers under more of a difficult situation.”

Waddell routinely has dinner with season-ticket holders to personally address their concerns and hear suggestions on how the organization can be better. He stays in contact with the team’s Boosters Club, an unofficial fan club with a significant number of season-ticket holders.
“I think this current regime of management is doing a pretty darn good job of finding ways to create other revenue streams,” said John Gallagher, the president of the Boosters Club. “There are still a lot of diehards that do go every single time, and if you look at our attendance over anyone else who has sustained losing as much as we have, I think you’ll see it’s probably pretty comparable.”

Having reliable ticket sales people has been an issue before this management group got here, however the corporate 'give me your $$ and get out of my sight' vs mom and pop 'let's find something that works and please be in touch' treatment is the big difference. Waddell understands that as did Lou. Shero doesn't seem to be involved at all in this side of things, but the guys that have been running it here time and time again have shown their disillusions to our situation.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Right. Severson, Zacha, McLeod, and a 2018 first.

We swap a (hopefully late) first for a (hopefully early) second in 2019 *if* EK resigns. I tend to agree with those that say parting with Zacha *and* McLeod is a big ask, but it is a tempting offer.

I would have done that trade 1-2 years ago. Right now with Karlsson awaiting a huge raise and no guarantee he'll sign in NJ coupled with his play declining no way I'd touch that deal. Something like Severson, Zacha and a 2018 1st is all I'd give up right now and I wouldn't be too happy about it as I think Zacha will develop into a very good player.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I would have done that trade 1-2 years ago. Right now with Karlsson awaiting a huge raise and no guarantee he'll sign in NJ coupled with his play declining no way I'd touch that deal. Something like Severson, Zacha and a 2018 1st is all I'd give up right now and I wouldn't be too happy about it as I think Zacha will develop into a very good player.

take out mclode and i would do that deal. have to give to get buuuuuuuuuuut the devils would have to do some homework and see if karlsson has serious interest in resigning here. if not then no deal.

i didnt catch much of the game outside the third but seeing it was 2-0 i didn't really doubt we would get at least one goal to make it interesting. miller helped our cause with 2 brutal cory type goals but good effort and no quit.

the arena did seem packed and rocking i was going come and ask if it was packed and glad to see that amount of people for a monday against the ducks.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

I think not. Hockey is a team sport. Don’t want him at that cost and Shero would be a fool to ever offer that much value for one player.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This board went.....

FROM: Henrique is useless and should be traded for a bag of pucks
TO: Henrique should be resigned after this season

And all after only a couple of decent games played with the Ducks.

That's pretty much the most HFBoards thing ever.
Well, if we're playing both angles, I haven't seen you call anyone a "fetus lover" in a few days, which seems to have overlapped with a few strong games by Zacha, so.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
There’s no way you even consider giving up 4 starting nhl players who you plan on being a big part of your next decade of hockey for one player who hasn’t committed to sign an extension. Any talk of this magnitude without an extension previously agreed upon is insanity.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Zacha is so important to this franchise. If he comes close to hitting his potential, we’re in a great spot. He had a play last night on the PK that most guys on our team just couldn’t make. He used his big frame to wreck a guy in the corner and then won the puck and cleared it. As good defensively as our super rookies are, they just can’t do that given their size.

Zacha’s two way game is already really good for a 20 year old. The question is clearly can he consistently control play offensively the way he did last night. If he ever puts it together, our forward core will be among the best in the league.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Zacha is so important to this franchise. If he comes close to hitting his potential, we’re in a great spot. He had a play last night on the PK that most guys on our team just couldn’t make. He used his big frame to wreck a guy in the corner and then won the puck and cleared it. As good defensively as our super rookies are, they just can’t do that given their size.

Zacha’s two way game is already really good for a 20 year old. The question is clearly can he consistently control play offensively the way he did last night. If he ever puts it together, our forward core will be among the best in the league.

Excellent analysis.

also, the way he kept the puck along blue line while not going offsides prior to Wood's 2nd goal was elite hockey.
Wood was quoted postgame that he likes to be on PZ's line, he's great to play with.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think "strong" is a bit overboard, it's not like he's lighting it up - I'd go with adequate for remaining in the starting lineup.

What we've been seeing from Zacha is his game to a T. He controls the game well when he's on the ice and ends up in the offensive zone for most of his time.

Next step is using his skill more to create more chances and building off the way he's playing right now.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This board went.....

FROM: Henrique is useless and should be traded for a bag of pucks
TO: Henrique should be resigned after this season

And all after only a couple of decent games played with the Ducks.

That's pretty much the most HFBoards thing ever.
He has 8 points in 9 games, that's better then just decent.

But what you are talking about is two different camps, and not a flip flop. Some fans have always liked Rico, while others were critics. Guess which ones want him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad