GDT: Rico'll Be Home For Christmas: Ducks @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
7 sellouts on the season in 16 games. We had 4 straight in November and could easily sellout the next 4. Thursday is a guarantee, the Christmas Eve Eve game should be a sellout, and the Christmas Break games always do great.

I was thinking of going to the game on Saturday. Looks like there are a lot of tickets still available because they priced the matchup against the Blackhawks like a matchup against the Rangers.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He didn't mention Hischier specifically, but he went on a rant about lack of Canadians picked after the draft.

Screen-Shot-2017-06-25-at-6.33.51-PM.png
Good god

I feel like I’m reading a Hitler recruitment speech.

I never had a problem with Cherry being Pro-Canadian or saying things like a certain team was better because they had more Ontario boys. If it weren’t for reading or hearing some of his other stuff, I would think it was probably in good fun and it would be like Americans cheering for Team USA at the Olympics or whatever games/tournament.

When he starts talking about European, that’s when I feel like I’m reading some nazi recruitment literature.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
:huh: no? I just told you, the old number of 17625 included Suites in it. The current listed capacity of 16514 is how many seats are in the bowls.

yep, so they are walking back the capacity.... dunno why you are sitting there scratching your head. the capacity is the capacity. not how many seats they sell in the bowl. the suites were the main selling point of the barn. ive been in the suites and the perks are great. dont act like they can just not count them. our capacity is not 16514. that is a fact.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Very fascinating, they announced the game as a sellout. Very impressive if close to true for a Monday night against Anaheim.

It was close enough - you could quibble about a few empty seats here and there but it certainly 'acted' like a sellout crowd, I happened to get in the building at around 7 and the entrances/box office was PACKED. I do think there were some giveaway tickets but still a good job of people actually showing up for this one considering three home games in a week and the other two are marquee (though I suppose Rico coming back made this quasi-marquee).

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Team is so much fun to watch.

Zacha looks spectacular. He and Wood are a very strong duo and feed well off each other. At this point, I'd just keep those two together.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Makes sense we are starting to sell games out or at least have more people. For some reason i fell like football always plays a part. As the season ends for the locate teams more people go to our games.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
He's been old since I've been a little kid.

Being American, I didn't have the exposure to him that Canadian's had with him. I don't think he was ever on ESPN.

I always thought he was like the Canadian Archie Bunker, brought to life. He even has the blatant mispronunciations and butchering of names and words. Bieska is one of my favorites of his, who we saw tonight. I almost typed Bieska instead of Bieksa, multiple times because Don Cherry's pronunciation of his last name is burned into my head.
there's a pretty funny special on netflix (or used to be) called the don cherry story, it's worth a watch

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
yep, so they are walking back the capacity.... dunno why you are sitting there scratching your head. the capacity is the capacity. not how many seats they sell in the bowl. the suites were the main selling point of the barn. ive been in the suites and the perks are great. dont act like they can just not count them. our capacity is not 16514. that is a fact.
Plenty of stadiums don't include their suites as part of the capacity. You can get a suite for 14 people and put 18 in there if you want, you know that right? There is no real seating capacity for a suite.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Makes sense we are starting to sell games out or at least have more people. For some reason i fell like football always plays a part. As the season ends for the locate teams more people go to our games.

Well the local NFL season is certainly helping the Devils attendance then :laugh:

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
Plenty of stadiums don't include their suites as part of the capacity. You can get a suite for 14 people and put 18 in there if you want, you know that right? There is no real seating capacity for a suite.

they included them in the first place so........ its a useless debate ill admit. the fact is the team is selling seats and the suites are populated. they just arent counting the suites when the numbers come out. maybe its some tax write off. maybe they are just pocketing the profits from the seats. but i will never buy the fact that 16514 is the capacity because its not. there are even more people there.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ

I mean, you clearly don’t follow the business of the sports industry... almost no teams count suite seats. It was dumb for the Devils to do it all of those years. And I have been to games at MSG, Boston, DC, and Philly that look like they are 85% sold at best but they call them sellouts. Let’s just accept the fact that sports attendance figures are BS and the Devils are no different in how they do their attendance... :dunno:

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
they included them in the first place so........ its a useless debate ill admit. the fact is the team is selling seats and the suites are populated. they just arent counting the suites when the numbers come out. maybe its some tax write off. maybe they are just pocketing the profits from the seats. but i will never buy the fact that 16514 is the capacity because its not. there are even more people there.
At least we aren't Detroit who hasn't had a legit regular season sellout in like 6 years but you wouldn't know that based on the attendance figures.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
I mean, you clearly don’t follow the business of the sports industry... almost no teams count suite seats. It was dumb for the Devils to do it all of those years. And I have been to games at MSG, Boston, DC, and Philly that look like they are 85% sold at best but they call them sellouts. Let’s just accept the fact that sports attendance figures are BS and the Devils are no different in how they do their attendance... :dunno:

This. Regardless, I think we can all agree that the atmosphere at the Rock is much better this season. Amazing what a little winning does.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's some very fuzzy accounting, whether just the devils do it, or the entire NHL does it.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017

nah i do. the fact is this is a small market team that is still filling the building. a small market team wedged in between the rags, isles, flyers, and whalers (when they were still around). this team made it and is actually profitable. despite what people may say. so if we dont sell out the suites you cant say its a sell out. now they go the route youre talking about and just dont include them. then they can say they had x amount of sellouts. its not about the devils its about the way owners do business. its basically lying that we just buy in to. its just a pet peeve of mine, i admit it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad