Player Discussion Rickard Rakell

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s not moving his feet nearly enough, he used to get away with all the dangles because he had enough speed and agility going to evade the Dman. This year he keeps getting the puck and gliding with it before trying to make his move which makes him so much easier to stop.

He’s also not going to the dirty areas enough.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He’s not moving his feet nearly enough, he used to get away with all the dangles because he had enough speed and agility going to evade the Dman. This year he keeps getting the puck and gliding with it before trying to make his move which makes him so much easier to stop.
Even back then it led to a lot of unnecessary turnovers. You could turn a blind eye because he had those goals to go with them.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Plus with his contract he has eternal trade value. Even if he gets completely eclipsed by our developing prospects at some point, we'll still get something out of him.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
As others have said at $3.8M it’s not an issue if he regresses to a 40-50 point guy. But the talent is still there he should bounce back.
My thoughts on Rakell are mixed. As many have said even if he doesn't reboubd his contract isn't a problem. For me it is less about his contract and more about his role. He is supposed to be our top winger of the future. If he doesn't rebound he is just another middle 6 winger when we need a top line one. If Bob Murray can turn him into a more established player or a a player who safely projects to be superior then im okay with moving him while he still has the value to get us that player. If the trade isn't there then you keep him.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
My thoughts on Rakell are mixed. As many have said even if he doesn't reboubd his contract isn't a problem. For me it is less about his contract and more about his role. He is supposed to be our top winger of the future. If he doesn't rebound he is just another middle 6 winger when we need a top line one. If Bob Murray can turn him into a more established player or a a player who safely projects to be superior then im okay with moving him while he still has the value to get us that player. If the trade isn't there then you keep him.
I still wonder if Rakell is the locker room cancer on the team.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I still wonder if Rakell is the locker room cancer on the team.
I think Cancer might be a strong word, but I do wonder if he is of the "new NHLer" of the millennials. I can't remember where I read it but there was an article talking about how coaches have had to adapt the way the communicate with players as the younger generation is filtering into the NHL full time. I could definitely see an old school coach like RC having issues with young players if he didn't feel like they were giving 100% effort. Pretty sure Rakell was even quoted saying that it was an effort issue. To me it screams that RC was telling them they need to try harder and those players had no idea what else they could do. I have a sneaking suspicion that Montour also suffered from this. Likely we will never know.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He is being used on the PK and already has 2 shorthanded points this season something of which he had 0 of in his career entering the season. I like what I am seeing of his this season so far compared to last season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's been night and day. He is competing and driving play, really really impressed.
I feel like people gave up a bit on rakell last year.... in a bad situation with a bad coach(and from what i understand a wrist injury).

Imo hes 1 of the top players in the league skill for skill... he doesnt have any real glaring holes in his game. Last year he didnt have much support at all. And it seems like RC tried to make too many players something they wernt. Eakins seems to embrace what you are.

Ive been a fowler critic the last couple years(after the nashville series)... but him and rakell have really benefited the most from the coaching change... fowler looks like a complete new player... eakins isnt making him take dzone matchups/faceoffs that hes just not meant to do, and instead allowing fowler to use his skating 90% of the time he is out there.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
It’s funny to read the talk on this page last year of Rakell possibly being a locker room cancer.

it seems to me like he’s becoming a leader out there this season

I agree, that boyish joy that he used to have is back and I think it’s being reflected in his play.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
It’s funny to read the talk on this page last year of Rakell possibly being a locker room cancer.

it seems to me like he’s becoming a leader out there this season

A very charitable interpretation would be that he was just so frustrated and sad about Carlysle that he couldn't perform last year.

A more cynical one would be that his resurgence last year just makes the case even stronger that he (and possibly other veterans) were throwing games to try to get Carlysle fired.

Which would be pretty awful, but I'm so happy that he's actually good again that I guess I'll just live with it.

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
I feel like it was very obvious last season that he never got right from the high ankle sprain he suffered. On top of being on a dumpster fire Carlyle led team. Seemed to finally get physically comfortable towards the very end of the season and he went on that heater. Now it’s carried over and it looks like he’s back on track to being a near star player in the league. It’s beautiful to see.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
An interview in Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.
Google Translate

"Yes, I'm very happy to stay here. I feel incredibly good and just because it's a bit difficult right now, both for the team and yourself, you do not give up. On the contrary, I want to be on the journey when we turn this around"

"Now it's different times, but it feels like we have something interesting going on with many young, promising players and as I said, I look forward to being part of the turnaround in the future."

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00