Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So you agree he will CONTINUE to decline the way he has been.
It's more likely than not that a 33 year old NHL player will not be improving his play anytime soon. This shouldn't be breaking news to anyone.

I don't know why it's relevant to the conversation about whether or not past + current Rick Nash lived up to his contract (spoilers: he did).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nash's career points/gp by month:

October - 0.81
November - 0.78
December - 0.70
January - 0.80
February - 0.81
March - 0.73
April - 0.75

myth-busted.jpg

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It's more likely than not that a 33 year old NHL player will not be improving his play anytime soon. This shouldn't be breaking news to anyone.

I don't know why it's relevant to the conversation about whether or not past + current Rick Nash lived up to his contract (spoilers: he did).

Was he worth his contract + the 4 pieces the Rangers gave up to get him? No way. He was brought in after 2011-2012 to be the offensive X-factor that the team was missing. Besides his outstanding 2014-2015 season, he really wasn't, especially in the playoffs.

Whether its right or wrong, he'll always be remembered by the majority of Ranger fans for his flop during the 2014 final run.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
0 points in the last 10 games? How does that happen to a player of Nash's caliber? Is there a Ranger fan out there that will shed a tear when this guy goes?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Because he has been declining for years... all of them while wearing a NYR jersey.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Gonna guess one fan...

Personally, I realize Nash was a great player (and was pretty good with the Rangers, for the most part). But hes just a guy that did nothing to endear himself to the fan base. Vanilla personality, vanilla game -- by no means a fan favorite. That makes the decision to trade him even easier, IMO.

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Personally, I realize Nash was a great player (and was pretty good with the Rangers, for the most part). But hes just a guy that did nothing to endear himself to the fan base. Vanilla personality, vanilla game -- by no means a fan favorite. That makes the decision to trade him even easier, IMO.
It's unclear if you are speaking personally or for the fan base.

Reactions: Ail and Irishguy42

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
his entire ranger career summed up in one statement

enormously talented player who rarely brought his A game on a consistent basis. perhaps the poster child for the " do less with more" crowd.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Because he has been declining for years... all of them while wearing a NYR jersey.
Breaking news: Player over 30 years of age begins "declining".

Again, I question most of HFNYR's fundamental understanding about player contract value, how AAV is dispersed, and what to expect from players in the twilight years of their 8 year deals.

Take a step back from your playoff hatred, which I'm not going to argue with you about, and realize the player that Rick Nash was for most of his eight-year deal.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
with his ability to shoot pucks slowly along the ice and into the goalies 6 hole, im not so sure he would ever score 20 again no matter who he's playing with.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
I actually believe that if he were riding shotgun to a Crosby or a Toews, you would see a different player.

His opportunities have been of sufficient quality. I don't think riding shotgun with those guys would make a difference. You still won't score when you have open nets and can't elevate the puck. At this point, he would need a goalie completely out of the net to put one in.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For five years of that deal, you had an objectively elite 5v5 scorer.

This isn't hard to understand.
In his tenure, he has scored over 25 goals exactly twice. Does that smack of being "elite"? If he has been elite, then so too is Krieder.

For most of his tenure here, during the regular season Nash could best be described as solid.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Silverfish I suggest not wasting your time. It's hopeless.
I had a whole post replying to True Blue typed out, and just ctrl+A deleted.

You are right. I'm leaving this thread, but this echo-chamber of bull**** takes that are flat out wrong is infinitely frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ail

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
0 points in the last 10 games? How does that happen to a player of Nash's caliber? Is there a Ranger fan out there that will shed a tear when this guy goes?
That does not matter at all. You have to look at how many points per second while wearing blue laces and eating a hotdog. Didn't you learn that from Brandon Pirri and Adam Clendening? You may say 0 points in his last 10 games but how many of those games did he play scrabble before the game?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Again, I question most of HFNYR's fundamental understanding about player contract value, how AAV is dispersed, and what to expect from players in the twilight years of their 8 year deals.

Take a step back from your playoff hatred, which I'm not going to argue with you about, and realize the player that Rick Nash was for most of his eight-year deal.

Sorry, what is your point here? That Rick Nash was worth his 8 year deal, only the last half of which was actually with the Rangers? Combine that with confirming that players begin declining after the age of 30 (right before the Rangers obtained him, for 4 assets, I may add), and that seems to confirm the Rangers got the short end of the deal. Nobody really cares what he did in Columbus.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Sorry, what is your point here? That Rick Nash was worth his 8 year deal, only the last half of which was actually with the Rangers? Combine that with confirming that players begin declining after the age of 30 (right before the Rangers obtained him, for 4 assets, I may add), and that seems to confirm the Rangers got the short end of the deal. Nobody really cares what he did in Columbus.
I do not think either team got a bad deal. I think it was a fair deal for both sides. With that said the deal doesn't even matter to me now. Only the recent past, present and future matter for me in regards to Nash.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Disappointing overall aside from one season would be my answer.

It’s not hatred it’s dissappontement

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me Nash is a responsible player--there are times when he really seems to push the play but the entire league has his two moves figured out and it's really turned into an exercise in futility. The guy doesn't have it anymore as a for real offensive threat. He's turned into a third liner and his numbers lately are just f***ing pathetic. Kreider goes down and we need guys to step up and it should be clear now to all and sundry it ain't going to be him picking up that slack and as well he's taking up so much cap space that might have been better used elsewhere.

Anyway I find it interesting that people who hated on Girardi and Staal in at least great part for their cap hits will give Rick Nash a pass. When players stop being worth their respective cap hits then whenever and however possible they should be moved along. The argument could be made the Rangers weren't going to win a Cup as long as they had Girardi and Staal playing top pair minutes---I'll make the argument that we're not going to win a Cup as long as Rick Nash is relied on for top 6 offense.

The Rangers need to trade him ASAP--get what they can get. He has no real future as far as I can see with this team past this current year. I wouldn't re-sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad