Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
This new thing that all of a sudden he's playing well is meh to me. He's playing how he was playing for the last 3 years. The puck is going in for him as opposed to last year, where he was still a good player but was snakebitten. He's still the best two way player on this team and is streaky as hell, like most goal scorers. He just had a terrible down streak last year.

yup.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
There has never been a question whether Nash is a legit #1 forward or not. What has been clear though is, he's not a line carrier and thus not a franchise player.

Now that he has been given new linemates to play with, he has been reenergized. When he's on, he's on and of course you want all the players to succeed. I'm happy for Rick that he has found some new energy to his game and that he is given the moments to shine. Keep it up!

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
There has never been a question whether Nash is a legit #1 forward or not. What has been clear though is, he's not a line carrier and thus not a franchise player.

Now that he has been given new linemates to play with, he has been reenergized. When he's on, he's on and of course you want all the players to succeed. I'm happy for Rick that he has found some new energy to his game and that he is given the moments to shine. Keep it up!

agreed..mainly because hes not a shooter...franchise players almost universally have elite shots. nash has a pretty weak shot with a pretty slooowwww release.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This new thing that all of a sudden he's playing well is meh to me. He's playing how he was playing for the last 3 years. The puck is going in for him as opposed to last year, where he was still a good player but was snakebitten. He's still the best two way player on this team and is streaky as hell, like most goal scorers. He just had a terrible down streak last year. The criticism of Nash is basically the same schlocky nonsense over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again from ....... well never mind.
To be fair, that is not exactly accurate. His decreased production and offensive invisibility started around January of 2014. So that because 1.5 years of poor play. That coupled with his largely underwhelming playoff performance is what led me to state that I believe that he was on the decline.

And most people around here have always thought that while he has done just fine in the regular season, it is the playoffs where by and large, he has been a failure. But you know all of these arguments already. As they have been discussed over and over again.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
To be fair, that is not exactly accurate. His decreased production and offensive invisibility started around January of 2014. So that because 1.5 years of poor play. That coupled with his largely underwhelming playoff performance is what led me to state that I believe that he was on the decline.

And most people around here have always thought that while he has done just fine in the regular season, it is the playoffs where by and large, he has been a failure. But you know all of these arguments already. As they have been discussed over and over again.

Not scoring at a 40 goal a year clip is not equal to playing poor. I disagree even when he was scoring at a 15 goal a year pace he was playing how he normally does, the puck just wasn't going in. He's not a great playoff scorer, as was said before he's not an elite shooter but again does everything else well. Also my over again comment wasn't directed at you.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
This new thing that all of a sudden he's playing well is meh to me. He's playing how he was playing for the last 3 years. The puck is going in for him as opposed to last year, where he was still a good player but was snakebitten. He's still the best two way player on this team and is streaky as hell, like most goal scorers. He just had a terrible down streak last year. The criticism of Nash is basically the same schlocky nonsense over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again from ....... well never mind.

well if you didnt have eyes for the last oh...like maybe 100 games or so, then one might agree with you.

and without eyes you might not have been able to see his abysmal shooting % and his woeful goal scoring numbers for that same period. and dont get me started on his play in the playofsf when he enables his cloaking device.

but sure, he was just "unlucky" and "snakebit" and now he's been lucky and um... not snake bit.

and schlocky ? sure.

play well nick rash. play well and good bye.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not scoring at a 40 goal a year clip is not equal to playing poor. I disagree even when he was scoring at a 15 goal a year pace he was playing how he normally does, the puck just wasn't going in. He's not a great playoff scorer, as was said before he's not an elite shooter but again does everything else well. Also my over again comment wasn't directed at you.
I agree with you. I guess when the perception is that he is the franchise forward, playing a solid two-way game is just not enough. Was he playing poorly? No. Was he playing the role of the team's most important forward? Also no.

I am enjoying his seeming resurgence and hope that he nets 30 and I will happily have a course of crow. I guess for me, his playoff performance is what ultimately he is judge by. Which is not saying that playing well just to get to the playoffs is nothing by itself.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I agree with you. I guess when the perception is that he is the franchise forward, playing a solid two-way game is just not enough. Was he playing poorly? No. Was he playing the role of the team's most important forward? Also no.

I am enjoying his seeming resurgence and hope that he nets 30 and I will happily have a course of crow. I guess for me, his playoff performance is what ultimately he is judge by. Which is not saying that playing well just to get to the playoffs is nothing by itself.

He's difficult player to gauge. He's not an elite superstar but has the talents to be and his results vary from a season or 2 at that level but mostly a notch or 2 below. Maybe it's expectations, does he meet sky high expectations -> no.

If a player plays like crap I would be the first to say so. Honestly, I am not a huge Nash fan. I just appreciate the fact that even if he's not scoring he is the first guy back on defense and is always hustling in all 3 zones. Also, I happen to think he makes players that play with him better but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hossa is a complimentary player. All that means is that he doesn't have to play like the world was on his shoulders.

I guess

Hossa gets paid 5.5. Kane and Toews make 10.5.

Nash is the highest paid skater on this team. I mean he definitely plays like a 'complementary' player come April but if there's one guy you'd point to when you really need s goal, it'd have to be him.

Brassard was our best playoff performer, goal scorer and clutch offensive play guy. We'll see how that changes now that he's gone.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Well Hossa got paid $7.9M per for the first seven years of his deal.

True.

Hawks aren't exactly a small budget team that's concerned about actual $$. As long as his production and role more commensurate with his cap hit they're satisfied

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Hossa is a hall of famer, but he's a complimentary player on a Hawks squad with several other, slam-dunk hall of famers. No surprise the Hawks have 3 Cups recently.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Hossa is a hall of famer, but he's a complimentary player on a Hawks squad with several other, slam-dunk hall of famers. No surprise the Hawks have 3 Cups recently.

Hossa is easily the 2nd best forward on that team.

Yes toews scores clutch goals and has intangibles over 9000 but people seem to forget hossa is also an EXTREMELY good defensive forward and he's leagues better skill wise offensively than toews.

Guys like panarin are young and unproven i wouldn't put them over hossa.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Terrific. In a tiny sample, as when compared to the rest of his career, he did ok in a series that the Rangers got their doors blown off. Very good.

His entire playoff career is a small sample size regardless. I mean 40% of his postseason games came in one year where he was visibly not healthy.

There's no secret code to break here. When Nash is healthy he plays well. When he's hurt he doesn't play well. The same goes in the playoffs.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Going to be very interesting to see what happens to Nash before the deadline. It could literally go any way.

One thing that indisputable is its good news if he continues to rebuild his value.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Going to be very interesting to see what happens to Nash before the deadline. It could literally go any way.

One thing that indisputable is its good news if he continues to rebuild his value.

If the Rangers are in it and he's playing well, there's almost a 0% chance he gets dealt in advance of the deadline. That's an offseason trade at that point.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, I agree with most of the content in this topic concerning Rick Nash - he had such a great goal vs Oilers. R. Nash seems really sharp and he will be one of the reasons we will certainly reach Playoffs this year. And I think we`ve good chances to compete for the cup - so I like our chances with Nash on our team until the season is over with a Stanley Cup.
Hopefully we will get Buch going with some goals as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad