Rumor: Rick Dhaliwal Sportsnet650- Heavy Heavy interest from multiple playoff teams on Edler and Tanev

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Maybe. Definitely wasn’t on display yesterday

Find me video of where he was having trouble defensively or moving the puck?

There was one pass all game that went off a skate (Beagle's, in the bottom left quadrant of the D-zone).

All the scoring chances he was on the ice for were the fault of a teammate's missed assignment.

Let me know what you find.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I do.

And I understand that people who have no interest in advanced stats like guys who get labelled as defensive dmen, because they see them making “defensive plays”, like throwing hits, clearing the net, blocking shots, and getting into the lanes... but when you notice a guy doing that a lot... it’s because he’s in his own zone, a lot.

You don’t want to be in your own zone a lot. You want to be in the other team’s end. That’s where you score goals. But beyond that... teams waste a lot of energy when they’re trying to defend, and spending most of the game in your own zone is demoralizing- even to the players on the bench.

This is something the Leafs have struggled with for years, and there’s been a really noteable change in their place since late November, where it seems to have clicked, and they’re not spending as much time in their own end. Tanev seems like a big step back there. He’s not the type of shut-down dman you need in the new NHL, especially not in the East. Guys like Hjalmarsson and Pesce are the new NHL’s elite shut down guys. Not Tanev.

It has a lot to do with teammates and D-partners.

During Tanev's "better" years, we had many forwards that were good defensively and he spent a lot of time with Edler and Hamhuis on his left side. This year, most of our forwards are awful defensively (many young, skill players) and he's spent a significant amount of time with Pouliot and Del Zotto as his D partner (they are not NHL D-men) going up against the other team's top lines.

You really have to consider important context.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Karl Alzner was just giving more money on more term. Zaitsev literally makes more money than Tanev and isn’t nearly as good. Though it does seem the league management groups agree they are willing to pay this amount to lesser players. I would bet dollars to donuts that he would get signed in July for more money than he’s making
I think that would be an awful mistake. His body is already breaking down. Give him long term big money would be buffalo/edmonton level stupid.... and that also does not suggest he is on an amazing deal

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I don't think he is on an amazing contract at all. For what he brings to the table, you think 4.5 is amazing? Factor in the constant battle with injuries, his contract is very far from amazing.
I realize he is not as bad as people like to suggest to stir the pot, but every stat available to us fans suggests that his play is in decline. Analytics are all we got. The truth is no fan base is spending much time watching other teams players.... unless the have no life at all.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think there is any way ta ev could fetch a first and a prospect. I don't even think he could fetch a first.
They need to retain half salary. Then, they might get a decent return.
I respect your opinion but really disagree. I think he stays, or returns a 1st minimum. Right handed Top 4 dman are worth a premium. Just look no further than Larsson and Hamilton. His play is the same, even better offensively actually.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Find me video of where he was having trouble defensively or moving the puck?

There was one pass all game that went off a skate (Beagle's, in the bottom left quadrant of the D-zone).

All the scoring chances he was on the ice for were the fault of a teammate's missed assignment.

Let me know what you find.
He was hemmed in by the Leafs 4th line right at the start of the game, struggled to contain the top two lines basically whenever they were on the ice together. One of the aforementioned shifts(one of the really long ones the Leafs has in the Vancouver zone)- he seemed to follow Matthews to the front of the net in an attempt to cover him... and then completely missed Matthews just leaving, because his back was turned to him, and just sat there covering nobody.

And no, I’m not going to dig up footage of all the times I thought he did something wrong. Don’t have time for that. That being said, i would not be surprised if it was hard to find clips of him mis-handling the puck, because he barely had it all game.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
He was hemmed in by the Leafs 4th line right at the start of the game, struggled to contain the top two lines basically whenever they were on the ice together. One of the aforementioned shifts(one of the really long ones the Leafs has in the Vancouver zone)- he seemed to follow Matthews to the front of the net in an attempt to cover him... and then completely missed Matthews just leaving, because his back was turned to him, and just sat there covering nobody.

And no, I’m not going to dig up footage of all the times I thought he did something wrong. Don’t have time for that. That being said, i would not be surprised if it was hard to find clips of him mis-handling the puck, because he barely had it all game.
No evidence = you’re making shit up

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
He’s worth a 1st and a solid prospect.

1) He’s right handed and on an amazing contract.

2) He plays big minutes against the other teams top line night after night.

3) He almost never turns the puck over in the defensive zone and has one of the best first passes out of his zone in the league.

There’s many many more reasons but I’d be here awhile. If you watch him play consistently you’ll see why he’s worth a ton.
So, I vehemently disagree with your value for him.

1) he may be a rhd, but shut-down dmen generally aren’t worth a whole lot. I don’t believe his contract is good for what i feel(based on the numbers) he brings, and given how frequently he seems to be hurt.

2)So does Hainsey. Being relied upon to play against top lines doesn’t really matter if you don’t do it well.

3) he ranks 78th for giveaways(players with more than 300 minutes played). Not terrible given his usage, not great considering he’s not exactly skating the puck around. How do you quantify that he has one of the best first passes out of his zone in the league?

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I respect your opinion but really disagree. I think he stays, or returns a 1st minimum. Right handed Top 4 dman are worth a premium. Just look no further than Larsson and Hamilton. His play is the same, even better offensively actually.

Difference is those guys play all year. Im more interested in Edler on the leafs.cost?

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
The stats prove he’s a top pairing dman. Use a bigger sample size. Also stats are skewed when he has to carry Pouliot some times.
How far back do I need to go?

And why do I want to go back when I see that he’s playing poorly this year? He’s 31 and injury prone... he’s not exactly a prime candidate for a bounce-back

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Thanks for proving my point. Take the L and move along.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
So, I vehemently disagree with your value for him.

1) he may be a rhd, but shut-down dmen generally aren’t worth a whole lot. I don’t believe his contract is good for what i feel(based on the numbers) he brings, and given how frequently he seems to be hurt.

2)So does Hainsey. Being relied upon to play against top lines doesn’t really matter if you don’t do it well.

3) he ranks 78th for giveaways(players with more than 300 minutes played). Not terrible given his usage, not great considering he’s not exactly skating the puck around. How do you quantify that he has one of the best first passes out of his zone in the league?

1) Shut down and stay at home dman are different. We’re talking about Tanev here one of the best passers from the d zone, not Gudbranson.

2) Except Tanev does it very well...

3) He does skate with the puck a ton this year actually. Tanev is as good as I’ve ever seen him imo

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011

None of this happened.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
1) Shut down and stay at home dman are different. We’re talking about Tanev here one of the best passers from the d zone, not Gudbranson.

2) Except Tanev does it very well...

3) He does skate with the puck a ton this year actually. Tanev is as good as I’ve ever seen him imo
Seriously, how do you quantify this?

If you can't... how do you know he's one of the best? I know you guys brag about how you get to stay up late, but I'm assuming some of you have jobs, and aren't watching teams in the East play on a regular basis... or you know, even other Western teams.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Difference is those guys play all year. Im more interested in Edler on the leafs.cost?
I doubt Edler gets traded though I think the Canucks should cash in on him now. If he is traded and in a scenario where he will agree to go to a large number of teams (speculative), cost would be a first round pick plus a prospect. Since the Leafs first rounder will be so low, the prospect will have to be better than the prospects offered by other teams who will have better first round picks. I am not sure how mid-tier Leaf prospects are tracking (Bracco, Timashov, etc) but I suspect that would be the cost.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I doubt Edler gets traded though I think the Canucks should cash in on him now. If he is traded and in a scenario where he will agree to go to a large number of teams (speculative), cost would be a first round pick plus a prospect. Since the Leafs first rounder will be so low, the prospect will have to be better than the prospects offered by other teams who will have better first round picks. I am not sure how mid-tier Leaf prospects are tracking (Bracco, Timashov, etc) but I suspect that would be the cost.
To be fair, the only teams looking to rent Edler will be "contenders"....so the 1st round pick (Toronto's or otherwise) is going to be late.

Reactions: zcaptain

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Seriously, how do you quantify this?

If you can't... how do you know he's one of the best? I know you guys brag about how you get to stay up late, but I'm assuming some of you have jobs, and aren't watching teams in the East play on a regular basis... or you know, even other Western teams.
By watching him play! You don’t have to quantify everything. And A-lot of people nowadays have a PVR like myself, so I always watch every game that is televised.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
K, provide evidence he’s good. I haven’t seen it yet.
I provided you with statistics from the same game.
Tanev had 8 out of 10 zone exits against the Leafs. Can you provide me with anything similar from a leafs defenceman not named Reilly?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I provided you with statistics from the same game.
Tanev had 8 out of 10 zone exits against the Leafs. Can you provide me with anything similar from a leafs defenceman not named Reilly?
Does Tim Horton count? Oh....you mean currently.....

Reactions: mstad101

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
By watching him play! You don’t have to quantify everything. And A-lot of people nowadays have a PVR like myself, so I always watch every game that is televised.
So you watch all 31 teams consistently and can say without bias that Tanev is one of the best 1st pass dmen?

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
PlayerPosition TOICFCACF%CF% RelFFFAFF%FF% RelSFSASF%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Christopher TanevD20:25172045.95 8.77 12 13 48.00 11.79 7750.00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Did just fine in the shots and corsi department, especially compared to the rest of the team.

Not surprising, he's our best defenseman (and one of the tops in the NHL) at shutting down the opposition. Had some issues when he first came back from injuries but he's back to his usual stifling defence self.

Rather keep Tanev, he's the perfect player to pair with Quinn Hughes who will be with the team in March. If Edler is traded, the Canucks would definitely love to sign him back in the offseason.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad