Rumor: Rick Dhaliwal Sportsnet650- Heavy Heavy interest from multiple playoff teams on Edler and Tanev

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Hey @glucker question for you, do you watch every single Canucks game? Or just last night then go to the fancy stats?

As any Canuck fan who watches the team regularly Tanev is always 1 of our 2 best D, who always plays lots of pk. He doesn't make flashy moves, but he is steady and a good D to be paired with someone who likes to jump up into the offense.

Tanev would be a good add to a playoff team wanting to try to reduce goals against.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Tanev isn’t a good hockey player anymore. Vancouver would’ve gotten a lot more two years ago.

You watch the Canucks regularly too I bet eh. He may not lead the fancy stats like he did a couple years ago but to say he isnt a good hockey player anymore is just wrong. But each to their own the internet is full of know it alls or just people trying to stir the pot

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
You watch the Canucks regularly too I bet eh. He may not lead the fancy stats like he did a couple years ago but to say he isnt a good hockey player anymore is just wrong. But each to their own the internet is full of know it alls or just people trying to stir the pot

They are not “fancy stats”, it’s actually quite simple to understand his team is worse when he’s on the ice this year. Don’t even need to watch the Canucks regularly to tell his play has declined significantly.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Hey @glucker question for you, do you watch every single Canucks game? Or just last night then go to the fancy stats?

As any Canuck fan who watches the team regularly Tanev is always 1 of our 2 best D, who always plays lots of pk. He doesn't make flashy moves, but he is steady and a good D to be paired with someone who likes to jump up into the offense.

Tanev would be a good add to a playoff team wanting to try to reduce goals against.
You’ll have to forgive me for not taking Canucks fans’ words for player valuations. Been here long enough to remember how Luongo, Schneider, and Lack were all top-2 goalies in the NHL, and would cost the Leafs Kadri, a couple of firsts and then some.

Hell, just last season Tanev was Nylander + 1st at least.

And how could we forget Frank “Olympian” Corrado?

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
They are not “fancy stats”, it’s actually quite simple to understand his team is worse when he’s on the ice this year. Don’t even need to watch the Canucks regularly to tell his play has declined significantly.

Oh okay, every time Tanev has been injured the Canucks have played way worse. but believe what you want

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
You’ll have to forgive me for not taking Canucks fans’ words for player valuations. Been here long enough to remember how Luongo, Schneider, and Lack were all top-2 goalies in the NHL, and would cost the Leafs Kadri, a couple of firsts and then some.

Hell, just last season Tanev was Nylander + 1st at least.

And how could we forget Frank “Olympian” Corrado?

Ever team has fans, who make idiotic proposals or evaluations of their players, that wont change.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Ever team has fans, who make idiotic proposals or evaluations of their players, that wont change.
Hahahaha God you are clueless. How the hell can you watch him play and make that statement. Mind boggling.
ok- tell me what you think he’s worth, and why.

What quantifiable part of his game makes him worthy of the title of “elite shutdown dman”?

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
You can't just use 1 game against your favourite team to judge a player you rarely watch...especially if the team around said player is not good.
I’m not just relying on that game- but it confirmed a lot of what the stats show about him.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Now that it appears that Elias Pettersson will be out for just 1-2 weeks, it's very likely that neither d-men get traded while the Canucks are still in the playoff race. Would make a lot more sense for the Canucks to ADD another top-4 d-man rather than trade them; iirc, a right-handed shot d-man, that could be used on the powerplay, is GM Jim Benning's top-priority.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Now that it appears that Elias Pettersson will be out for just 1-2 weeks, it's very likely that neither d-men get traded while the Canucks are still in the playoff race. Would make a lot more sense for the Canucks to ADD another top-4 d-man rather than trade them; iirc, a right-handed shot d-man, that could be used on the powerplay, is GM Jim Benning's top-priority.
The Problem is that among Bennings many mnay weaknesses, putting together a competitive D corps is probably his weakest

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
ok- tell me what you think he’s worth, and why.

What quantifiable part of his game makes him worthy of the title of “elite shutdown dman”?

He’s worth a 1st and a solid prospect.

1) He’s right handed and on an amazing contract.

2) He plays big minutes against the other teams top line night after night.

3) He almost never turns the puck over in the defensive zone and has one of the best first passes out of his zone in the league.

There’s many many more reasons but I’d be here awhile. If you watch him play consistently you’ll see why he’s worth a ton.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
The Problem is that among Bennings many mnay weaknesses, putting together a competitive D corps is probably his weakest

True, but it's really something that has to be built through the draft, so I cut him some slack.

Very excited for Quinn Hughes to join the team, hopefully in 2 months. I'm tempering my expectations to slot him in as the team's 3rd best d-man right away, but if not, that's still ok. There has been a lot of hype though (from the media) that claim scouts/NHL personnel feel that he could instantly have an Elias Pettersson-esque impact as a d-man.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I think it’s the best time to make a deal.... team is ultra boring to watch without EP there.

18th in the league and about 10 teams behind the Canucks have 4-6 games in hand.

If EP misses two weeks, it’s likely the Canucks could drop down to the bottom 5 in the league when he’s gone.

Canucks are so close to having enough strong young pieces, but how many times did they hold onto a player for 1-2 years too long making that player untradeable because the value dropped.

For once, trade a player ie Edler when the value is really high. Playing great hockey but at 32 is he part of the long term plan?

Hell no. He’s 32. Get some pieces for him and resign him next year on a 1 year deal.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Vancouver Canucks 2018‑2019 Stats

Fyi, Canucks average age is 26 years 11 months.

They are above the average for league. Not even in the top 16 youngest teams. For anyone that thinks this is a youth movement is mistaken.

The Canucks have two d men 24 and younger.

Two great young Center men and a few young wingers, the rest of the team are not that young at all.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I think it’s the best time to make a deal.... team is ultra boring to watch without EP there.

For once, trade a player ie Edler when the value is really high. Playing great hockey but at 32 is he part of the long term plan?

Hell no. He’s 32. Get some pieces for him and resign him next year on a 1 year deal.

It would be wise to move out assets, JB has let other players walk as UFA instead of dealing them. Edler and Tanev moving hurts us to finish the year but will bring back decent assets.

If Edler waives, that would be great but he wont be signing a 1 year deal to come back. His next contract is gonna be 3-5years imo

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Not a chance the Canucks trade away a chance at the playoffs unless its obvious they'll miss it by the TDL.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
It would be wise to move out assets, JB has let other players walk as UFA instead of dealing them. Edler and Tanev moving hurts us to finish the year but will bring back decent assets.

If Edler waives, that would be great but he wont be signing a 1 year deal to come back. His next contract is gonna be 3-5years imo
Edler will sign a 1-2 year deal with Vancouver forsure.

Reactions: zaqq

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
He’s worth a 1st and a solid prospect.

1) He’s right handed and on an amazing contract.

2) He plays big minutes against the other teams top line night after night.

3) He almost never turns the puck over in the defensive zone and has one of the best first passes out of his zone in the league.

There’s many many more reasons but I’d be here awhile. If you watch him play consistently you’ll see why he’s worth a ton.
I don't think he is on an amazing contract at all. For what he brings to the table, you think 4.5 is amazing? Factor in the constant battle with injuries, his contract is very far from amazing.
I realize he is not as bad as people like to suggest to stir the pot, but every stat available to us fans suggests that his play is in decline. Analytics are all we got. The truth is no fan base is spending much time watching other teams players.... unless the have no life at all.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think there is any way ta ev could fetch a first and a prospect. I don't even think he could fetch a first.
They need to retain half salary. Then, they might get a decent return.

Reactions: glucker

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Vancouver Canucks 2018‑2019 Stats

Fyi, Canucks average age is 26 years 11 months.

They are above the average for league. Not even in the top 16 youngest teams. For anyone that thinks this is a youth movement is mistaken.

The Canucks have two d men 24 and younger.

Two great young Center men and a few young wingers, the rest of the team are not that young at all.

I'd argue that it's the bottom-6 forwards, and bottom-pair/depth dmen that increase the team's average age, and they're very replaceable. It's mostly youth in the top-6 forward group, and Quinn Hughes/Olli Juolevi could be on the team's top-4 d-man group soon. Most of the tougher-to-acquire assets are in place; and hopefully another blue chip prospect comes in the form of our 2019 1st-round pick (preferably a RHD or top-6 forward).

33yo Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson.
29/30yos Alex Biega, Brandon Sutter, Antoine Roussel, Sam Gagner, Michael Del Zotto, Tim Schaller

I expect one of Beagle, or Sutter to get dealt this year (or next) to make room for Adam Gaudette. Eriksson &/or Schaller could very easily get waived (like Gagner) if one of Will Lockwood or Zack MacEwan outplay them. Del Zotto's hopefully gone once Hughes arrives. And if the Canucks want to give Ashton Sautner, Evan McEneny, Guilamme Brisebois a look, then Biega could get sent back down to Utica.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strangelove

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I don't think he is on an amazing contract at all. For what he brings to the table, you think 4.5 is amazing? Factor in the constant battle with injuries, his contract is very far from amazing.
I realize he is not as bad as people like to suggest to stir the pot, but every stat available to us fans suggests that his play is in decline. Analytics are all we got. The truth is no fan base is spending much time watching other teams players.... unless the have no life at all.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think there is any way ta ev could fetch a first and a prospect. I don't even think he could fetch a first.
They need to retain half salary. Then, they might get a decent return.
Karl Alzner was just giving more money on more term. Zaitsev literally makes more money than Tanev and isn’t nearly as good. Though it does seem the league management groups agree they are willing to pay this amount to lesser players. I would bet dollars to donuts that he would get signed in July for more money than he’s making

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Tanev isn’t a good hockey player anymore. Vancouver would’ve gotten a lot more two years ago.

We're literally a train wreck in the D Zone if he's not on the ice but okay.

You watch the game yesterday? Literally our only D-man that wasn't at fault for a scoring chance against. Find me a clip of it if you disagree.

(and yes, I'm using this game as a 1-game sample size 'cause it's the only one you've watched of his this season)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad