Rumor: Rick Dhaliwal Sportsnet650- Heavy Heavy interest from multiple playoff teams on Edler and Tanev

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
According to Rick Dhaliwal during his Sportsnet 650 Vancouver update:

There is plenty of interest being generated on Vancouvers Top Pairing Dmen Edler and Tanev.

He notes that the Canucks havent put Tanev on the block nor have they asked Edler to waive his NTC .

He also added that should Edler decide to waive the return will easily be a 1st rnd pick and a plus.

Finally he states that there is at least 4 teams wanting to sign Edler this summer when he becomes a UFA but Edlers priority is still to be a Canuck his entire career and loves living in Van .

Which teams do you think he is refering to that is interested in Tanev and Edler?

Dhaliwal is very very connected, especiallu w. Agents.

I will post the link to the podcast once Sportsnet makes it available.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Good timing to move them. Not seeing a lot of top-4 defensemen on the market right now, perfect time to exploit the market and see what kind of offers are out there.

Reactions: TheNewKid

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I have no idea if the money works because I didn't bother to look but Gardner first round pick Jeremy Bracco and conditional picks for both of them

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Edler is playing some of his best hockey right now. Tanev is rock solid as well. I don't see us trading either at this point, but they would be a huge boost to any team

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Wonder which 4 teams are lookin at Edler this summer

As a Canuck fan id love nothing more than to move him at TDL and then sign him again in July.

Hes one of the main reason that this Canucks team is at .500 hockey instead of bottom 5 in league. He hasnt dropped off whatsoever and is a clear top paring Dman still for sure.

I can see plenty of teams wanting to trade for him or sign him in July.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
As a Canuck fan id love nothing more than to move him at TDL and then sign him again in July.

Hes one of the main reason that this Canucks team is at .500 hockey instead of bottom 5 in league. He hasnt dropped off whatsoever and is a clear top paring Dman still for sure.

I can see plenty of teams wanting to trade for him or sign him in July.
Yeah, that would be a perfect scenerio. Even if we dont sign him back id be okay with moving on and acquiring assets. Curious to see how much he is signed for this summer.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Unless the Canucks get a solid dman back, they basically become unwatchable with both these guys gone.

When Edler/Tanev are out of the lineup, the Canucks go from competitive to bottom feeder.

It's the same story going back a few years, but this is the Canucks with and without Edler this year for example.

Canucks w/ Edler: 14-9-2 (60.0 P%), 3.08 GF/G, 2.64 GA/G

Canucks w/o Edler: 4-9-2 (33.3 P%), 2.87 GF/G, 3.93 GA/G

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I don't see either getting moved to be honest. Canucks are playing well and team chemistry is very important. They seem to be having fun as a team and are jelling let them grow together as a group. Edler will be re-signed this summer and hopefully Tanev gets extended. Now if anybody wants Gudbranson I'm sure most here would drive him to the airport !!

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If they are going to move these two, the Canucks will have to slump hard in January/February (maybe due to injuries or something) to show they aren't contending for a playoff spot.

The Canucks' winning stretches have been almost perfectly correlated with a "healthy" lineup, and you can consider they've had ~3rd most man games lost to injury this year:
NHL Injury Viz: 2018/19 team injury breakdowns (through 21 December)
Combine this all with having one of the worst first-half schedules (they have played the most games in the NHL to this point)

Unfortunately for Canucks fans and Edler/Tanev seekers, they will need to wait and see how the Canucks progress through the next month and a half before really having an idea of what they will do. You will whine about the Canucks not being a "true contenders" and bad asset management, but I contend that it's bad for a team's overall psyche and progression if your GM sells on you when you are showing well, and especially in a season where everyone was counting you out.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
If they are going to move these two, the Canucks will have to slump hard in January/February (maybe due to injuries or something) to show they aren't contending for a playoff spot.

The Canucks' winning stretches have been almost perfectly correlated with a "healthy" lineup, and you can consider they've had ~3rd most man games lost to injury this year:
NHL Injury Viz: 2018/19 team injury breakdowns (through 21 December)
Combine this all with having one of the worst first-half schedules (they have played the most games in the NHL to this point)

Unfortunately for Canucks fans and Edler/Tanev seekers, they will need to wait and see how the Canucks progress through the next month and a half before really having an idea of what they will do. You will whine about the Canucks not being a "true contenders" and bad asset management, but I contend that it's bad for a team's overall psyche and progression if your GM sells on you when you are showing well, and especially in a season where everyone was counting you out.

I agree w this.

The Canucks have also said before they have no interest in trading Tanev as they see him as the perfect pairing partner for Quinn Hughes next year

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Tampa had interest last deadline (before acquiring McDonagh). If Tampa wants to bolster their third pairing, we could do something like Coburn + 1st for Edler with whatever salary retention is needed. TB is already the retirement home for Canuck defencemen with Ohlund, Salo, and Garrison going there.

Hopefully we can trade Edler at the TDL for a late 1st + B prospect and re-sign him on a short-term deal in the off season.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I don’t have any insight but I could see the Avs having interest in Edler. They have 2 first rounds pick this year and I could see them hoping to get him resigned.

My thought process being EJ and Barrie are the #1 and 2 RHD, and Cole and Zadorov as their LHD. Edler would be an upgrade to both and help add a stabling influence on back end.

Edler for Col#1 and ?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks luck on the trade front is consistent, the Canucks will hold on to both of them (and they'll both down with injuries). It's happened before. Heck, it happened earlier this season when the team was in the throes of a 12-game winless skid. Then of course they wouldn't fetch anything.

Most of the teams with legitimate Cup aspirations would have to be interested in both, and yes, that includes both Tampa and TO. Doubt the Canucks would trade either one of them to a team in the West.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad