Revisiting Nico vs Nolan - 2nd Voting

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Tangent, but if we're adding Patrick into the fold, on top of Couturier who is likely our other top 6 center for a long time, on top of Vorobyov and perhaps Rubtsov and some others in that mold.......I hope that the Flyers, like they identified and targeted some size and physicality last year and have always honed in on the 2-way guys, make it an initiative to add more pure speed and skill. Hextall really tries to diversify the system, and I think that is a need so the team doesn't get too one note offensively.

I love Patrick and Couturier and all those guys, but they're in essence facilitators and space generators. They work best with guys who they can give the puck to with that space, though obviously Patrick can do more himself than Coots. But Patrick isn't one to hold onto pucks for a long time. He loves give and go plays and creating holes and spacing issues. He's the type of guy who would bring out the best in creative, fast, high skilled guys who fill that space. He'd probably work really well with TK. We need more TKs. Frankly, those guys are hard to find outside the top 2 rounds. It's easier to find intelligent, 2-way guys with skating issues or something. A lot of the flashy guys in the mid-late rounds are pretty one dimensional and busts in the making. So I at least hope our 2nd rounder is an interesting one.

I agree with what you said but not everything needs to be accomplished in this draft. If Patrick is the pick, which I still don't see New Jersey passing on him, Hextall will just need one highly skilled forward to complete a nice future top 6: Rubtsov, Patrick, Konecny, Lindblom and Allison. I still see the Flyers as a bubble team so next years pick will be likely be in the teens. Hextall can go bold and move up if need be in the 1st and get that last player. So as far as later round picks, just take the best player even if it's a future two way forward. It builds the war chest for a future trade if need be to get that skill.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Tangent, but if we're adding Patrick into the fold, on top of Couturier who is likely our other top 6 center for a long time, on top of Vorobyov and perhaps Rubtsov and some others in that mold.......I hope that the Flyers, like they identified and targeted some size and physicality last year and have always honed in on the 2-way guys, make it an initiative to add more pure speed and skill. Hextall really tries to diversify the system, and I think that is a need so the team doesn't get too one note offensively.

I love Patrick and Couturier and all those guys, but they're in essence facilitators and space generators. They work best with guys who they can give the puck to with that space, though obviously Patrick can do more himself than Coots. But Patrick isn't one to hold onto pucks for a long time. He loves give and go plays and creating holes and spacing issues. He's the type of guy who would bring out the best in creative, fast, high skilled guys who fill that space. He'd probably work really well with TK. We need more TKs. Frankly, those guys are hard to find outside the top 2 rounds. It's easier to find intelligent, 2-way guys with skating issues or something. A lot of the flashy guys in the mid-late rounds are pretty one dimensional and busts in the making. So I at least hope our 2nd rounder is an interesting one.

Hextall's supposed aggressive pursuit of Drouin is good evidence that he sees that as a need. You need guys that are still dangerous in the playoffs when the checking is much tighter and the hitting and intensity gets ramped up.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh, for sure. But the point is that it's not terribly strange to rerank players despite no games taking place in between.

Yeah, not strange for fans, but I think it's a little odd for guys like Button or McKenzie.

Fans are just coming to terms with having a top 2 pick available, so initial opinions can definitely change after doing more research. But I think those media guys, who watch these guys all year long, should have a better understanding and a more solid opinion on them before the season ends.

Like, for example, if at the end of the year someone on this board, person 1, laid out their opinion on Provorov and praised the job he did all year, then you could assume they developed that opinion based on many months of watching. If they suddenly, in the middle of the summer, changed their mind and said he wasn't that good and they're no longer impressed by him then we'd probably find that strange and wonder what caused them to change their mind.

Opposed to a random fan of another team, person 2, who at the end of the year said that they thought Provorov had a mediocre rookie year, but that they hadn't watched him too often. Then, over the summer, they go through highlights and full games and changed their mind, now saying that he did have a very good year.

Obviously I'm trying to create parallels from person 1 to the draft guys, and person 2 to us fans. Don't know how much sense this makes when typed out, it seems a lot more clear in my head. :laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
In the end, it really doesn't matter. But I do think both reporters AND fans like to feel "right" and certainly indications have all been that NJ is taking Nico. So I do think that sways people.

I am just happy as hell we are getting one of them and that guy might help us this coming year instead of 2-3 years from now.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Here comes the rumors of VGK trying to get the #2 pick.

Flyers NEED Hischier/Patrick. That NEED that player.

Trading it for lower odds of replacing them, would absolutely throw me into a fit of rage.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
mynhldraft now has Nico going #1. And Suzuki at 11.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

The pickings at 13 look pretty slim. Let's take a minute to thank Dale Weise for scoring two goals in the final game of the season and getting the Flyers to the lucky 13th position in the lottery. :handclap:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Here comes the rumors of VGK trying to get the #2 pick.

Flyers NEED Hischier/Patrick. That NEED that player.

Trading it for lower odds of replacing them, would absolutely throw me into a fit of rage.

I understand your feelings, they speak directly to my super-fueled hate furnace, but I think if we see NJ pick Nico and Hexy trades that pick, we can safely assume that he didn't like what he saw in Patrick's medical reports. I think there is almost no chance this is going to happen, but if it did, that would explain it as far as I am concerned. He isn't a stupid or flaky guy and he will have had all of these thoughts like we have. He will do the right thing.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I understand your feelings, they speak directly to my super-fueled hate furnace, but I think if we see NJ pick Nico and Hexy trades that pick, we can safely assume that he didn't like what he saw in Patrick's medical reports. I think there is almost no chance this is going to happen, but if it did, that would explain it as far as I am concerned. He isn't a stupid or flaky guy and he will have had all of these thoughts like we have. He will do the right thing.

Never going to convince me and when we watch those two score 80 pts a year while we wait on year 3 for our player, I'll basically just shake.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Carchidi was also the guy asking Nico questions at the combine like it was a foregone conclusion he was going #2.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
The only way Hextall can look bad is if he trades the pick and the player goes on to have a great career. For that reason alone he will stay with the #2 pick imo. Of course there are other reasons to keep the pick as well

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
and Dreger on Sirius XM NHL Network Radio said “It sounds like Nico (Hischier) is likely going to the Devils and (Nolan) Patrick will go to the Philadelphia Flyers.â€

One question I have and I know that players are different and that you never know .. so I'm not holding anyone to anything they say. But opinion-wise I heard someone mention that Patrick isnt near last years top 10 caliber of player and that last years surprise Matthew Tkachuk is better the Patrick. Anyone have thoughts on that.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
@mattsekeres
Not sure if this is out there, but rumblings that #VegasGoldenKnights could acquire #2 overall pick from #Flyers via their expansion bounty

Please Ron, no no no no no.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well there you have it. 100% guaranteed we don't get Hischier.

Anything Carchidi believes is sure as **** not going to be accurate.

One of the least intelligent humans I've ever seen.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
and Dreger on Sirius XM NHL Network Radio said “It sounds like Nico (Hischier) is likely going to the Devils and (Nolan) Patrick will go to the Philadelphia Flyers.â€

One question I have and I know that players are different and that you never know .. so I'm not holding anyone to anything they say. But opinion-wise I heard someone mention that Patrick isnt near last years top 10 caliber of player and that last years surprise Matthew Tkachuk is better the Patrick. Anyone have thoughts on that.
People only bring that up because he barely played this year. If he is in last year's draft he definitely goes top 5, but probably 3rd, and plays in the NHL at 18. Tkachuk had a really good rookie season in the NHL. He's playing at a different level of hockey. Will Patrick have a similar impact, we'll see.

We'll see if this season was a blip on the radar or part of a trend.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If for some reason Ron traded the #2 pick to Vegas you better believe it would be for a King's ransom. I'd still prefer Nico/Nolan, but at least there isn't speculation that we are going to take Cale Makar. :laugh:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If for some reason Ron traded the #2 pick to Vegas you better believe it would be for a King's ransom. I'd still prefer Nico/Nolan, but at least there isn't speculation that we are going to take Cale Makar. :laugh:

#2 to take Amac of our hands, get Grubauer and more. Tempting

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
@mattsekeres
Not sure if this is out there, but rumblings that #VegasGoldenKnights could acquire #2 overall pick from #Flyers via their expansion bounty

Please Ron, no no no no no.

What could they offer that would be attractive enough? 6th and next years 1st plus a goalie?

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
#2 to take Amac of our hands, get Grubauer and more. Tempting

Not tempting at all for me.

I want MacDonald gone as much as the next guy, but what is the hurry to do so and do it at the expense of getting a potential 1C? So Hextall can use that money to go sign a UFA? Re-sign another player to an age 35 contract? Based on Hextall's track record of UFA work, IDK if I even want him having money to play with in UFA.

We are in such an ez situation here. All the pressure is on NJ, if our pick pans out then great! Free 1C! If the pick doesn't pan out then, whatever it's not gonna set us back at all because it was a free #2 pick! It's not like we tanked for this pick and it was the pot of gold at the end of the WOAT season rainbow.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Getting rid of MacDonald I don't see as a priority. They can always buy him out. If I have to give up the number 2 pick to get rid of him plus get a few 1sts back, theres no way I do it. The biggest need is a center that can take over 1C once Giroux is declining. We were gifted this. Lets not give it away.

This would be more of an issue it was 2 years ago when we were in cap hell, but we're not. With all the ELCs that they will have on the roster, we can deal with the contract..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad