Revisiting Nico vs Nolan - 2nd Voting

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
On April 29th a poll was created to vote on who we want to be our Number Two Overall Selection... in other words, who we want the Devils to NOT select as the 2017 Number One NHL.

After almost a full month, 1,001 Posts and 319 Votes the results are as follows:

Nico..............195..........61.13%
Nolan............121..........39.92%
Other...............3............0.94%

Early on the voting favored Nico by over a 2-1 Margin (~66%-33%) but as time passed and discussions were had, the later voting closed the gap... This means that the late voters clearly leans towards Nolan.

With this in mind I am posting a new Poll to see how our votes have changed... if in fact they have. This Poll will remain open up until the NHL Draft on June 23, 2017 ... Everybody will have one Vote... If you have voted in the last Poll, please tell us through the proper Option if your Vote has changed... If you did not vote before, you have the opportunity to do so now.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Voted for Nolan Patrick early on before, I'm still voting Nolan Patrick now.

With that said, if we take Nico Hischier, I feel very confident in the player we'd be drafting to be a future first line scorer and fairly soon.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Voted Nolan before. He has serious #1 franchise center potential. Not that Nico doesn't, I just think Nolan is the more dominant player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Still have no preference.

Pros and cons for both.
Like how Hischier has better speed, Patrick has a better shot.

Both definitely have the potential to become our future 1C, so I don't think we can really lose here. We'll also never have to look back with regret and see people complain that we took the wrong one, that pressure is on NJ.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

Pros and cons for both.

Both definitely have the potential to become our future 1C, so I don't think we can really lose here. We'll also never have to look back with regret and see people complain that we took the wrong one, that pressure is on NJ.

You have until June 23rd to make up your mind... After that you won't be able to post any I-Told-You-Sos going forward... without being called out on it, anyway. ;)

EDIT: I have no idea why that quote is so screwed up... Looks fine on my end s I post it... messes up when I view it. haha

EDIT2: Never mind... solely on my end... Netbook screen sizing bug. :shakehead

Last edited:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
changed mine from Nico to Nolan. i feel like he may be the better option, but Nico will be nice as well. i wonder if Nolan might be the guy Hexy secretly wants as well. nevertheless, no pressure on us. it's a win/win.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You have until June 23rd to make up your mind... After that you won't be able to post any I-Told-You-Sos going forward... without being called out on it, anyway. ;)

EDIT: I have no idea why that quote is so screwed up... Looks fine on my end s I post it... messes up when I view it. haha

EDIT2: Never mind... solely on my end... Netbook screen sizing bug. :shakehead

Can't say "I told you so", but also can't be wrong.

reece.JPG

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I was Nico first, but now after doing some research I think I want Nolan Patrick. Not really worried about the injury history, he's going through puberty, and bones still growing, breaks and bumps and bruises are expected.

That being said, I would be fine with Nico. i am just very happy we moved up.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Seems the Devils fans are still leaning Nolan... but like we are, not really all that upset with whichever Player Shero & Co. opts for.

The difference of course is that while they debate... and desire a particular Player of the other... their Team does call the shots. I a way, they are like us in that whomever Shero selects is who they have... and whomever he selects, we have the one left -- unless Hextall goes temporarily insane -- So both Fan-Bases are at the mercy of Shero.

Two sets of helpless fans debating something that is almost completely out of their control... unless their thoughts and desires somehow miraculously influence the Devils GM.

The good thing that I can see is that neither Team's Fans seem to be all that upset if they don't get the Player they want most... because it really seems like a crapshoot between the Final Two... and Lady Luck has already smiled on each Organization... and she may once again... Maybe each will fit in well on their respective Selecting Organization.

... Maybe the Pens will be swept... AMac will be selected by Vegas... and each Team will get their perfect fit #1C.

... Or else Lady Luck is preparing to pull that rug out from under us and say, "Gotcha once again, suckers". ;)

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Pros and cons for both.

No vote here either. No need to get worked up cause we take whoever is left after jersey picks. I like them both.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
FWIW: Understanding that it is still very early... less than a sixth of the responses of the total of the initial Poll... presently the reversal shift is pretty much what I was expecting, based on the late trend of the last Poll... and the Posts of those who had already voted.

That said... things can certainly change as we continue on. :popcorn:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
While I doubted what Devils fans suggested with our last vote -- that we preferred Nico because we didn't think we'd get Nolan -- it seems more true to me the other way now. I don't doubt all the hullabaloo and smoke from the Devils's camp about preferring Nico has had an effect on votes switching to Patrick. I know in my head I almost am operating like he's who we are getting.

I voted Nico before, but I am also on Team Don't Care at this point. I really don't have a strong preference now; and it's going to be awesome either way. My overwhelming sentiment is still shock that we have pick #2.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Nolan before, staying Nolan now. Guy reminds me of Getzlaf/Kopitar.

I've said in previous threads, our 1C is on the smaller side, it'd be great to groom a big talented center behind him that plays well in all 3 zones. Win/Win Nico is going to be a good player too, but I've wanted Nolan, I still don't think Devils management will pass on him.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Staying with Nolan as well -- it seems very close. If Nolan can "be Nolan" with all that upside plus high floor, could be an amazing talent for 2nd OA.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Would still take Nolan. We'll most likely get Nico, which is great too ofcourse.

I don't know, it's honestly a total toss up.

Either way the Devils went you could say it was the correct decision. This is the toughest call at #1 I can remember. Even with Hall vs Seguin you could see that Hall was the clear cut choice, even though it didn't pan out that way.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Pretty interesting that, so far, 90% of vote changers changed to Nolan.

I think a whole lot of that is due to adjusted expectations. That's not to say everyone, and it's not to take anything away from Nolan, but I think once we heard Button say the Devils were leaning toward Nico, people got on board with Nolan en masse, and I'm fine with it - it's perfectly natural.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I haven't voted in either poll, but I started off leaning Nico, with the thinking being that we really needed more high-end skill and skating. Then I watched some Patrick highlights and it's tough to pass up that combination of skill & size, with what looks to me to be the best shot we'll have had on the team since Jeff Carter. I'd be stunned if Nolan Patrick isn't a perennial 30+ goal scorer. Meanwhile, while he'll be a dynamic player, I just don't know how well Hischier's goalscoring ends up translating at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad