Return of Andrew Ladd

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
You gotta be careful around here.

Thanks Whileee!

All in good fun :)

Life is fluid like water, always moving and forever changing so to try to peg someone for their previous posts is just plain wrong period. The past is something we cannot ever change so all we really do have control of here is the here and now .....for tomorrow, will one day, never come.

The one thing we all have in common here at The Winnipeg Jets HF Board is a burning, thirsty desire to see our Jets fly further upward, until we all can reach and one day win, The Stanley Cup.

For isn't that why, we all chant:
Go Jets Go :jets Go Jets Go

Cheers

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Do we wanna start digging through old threads where people thought that 6x6 for Ladd was a fair deal? I see a lot of usernames in this thread now criticizing the NYI deal who were backing 6x6 last fall and winter.

I was all for Ladd signing 6x6 middle of last season.
I'd still be ok with him signing 3-4 years at 5 million.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I believe and still believe, Ladd was worth 6 x 6
at the time he was traded. Connor hadn't finished his season and lit the NCAA on fire and I think at the time of this original discussion we were about the 8th worst team in the league.
Our situation has changed, we won through pure chance the 2nd OA and
Connor destroyed the NCAA. Changing some of the Jets needs.

I still think Ladd is a good player and another team paid him an ave of 5.5 for 7 years. Not as good as 6x6 we supposedly offered him, but another GM seems to agree with me, Ladd still has some good years left in him.

Anyways point is I'll stand by what I posted. No shame here.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Some folks are counting out Ladd way too fast. I think last year's dip is far more likely to be an effect of his surgery than a super sudden and coincidentally timed age-related decline.

If he bounces back, even close, to his previous form, he's a legit solid 1LW. I don't mind this contract (given the usual expected July 1st overpay) for the Isles.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
They don't speak for most of us.
Ladd will be a great addition and will be contributing for quite a while.
Most of us would have liked him back at shorter term.
At the end of the day you have to look after your family and that's what he did.
NYI are a hard working team and the Jets always struggle against them.
Hope NYI and Ladd have an awesome season
Cheers

Exactl, that's how I feel. I think next to JT he will do just fine. Of course isles fans rather it been a 5 year 5.5per deal. That's just not how Free agency works though lol thanks, good luck to you guys as well.

burnoutberry

May 2, 2016
True North
There was never any chance that Ladd would be resigned by the Jets IMO. I appreciate everything Ladd did for us during his time here, but it was obvious that he was tired with the draft and develop model being applied by management. You can't have a captain leave as a rental and come back due to how it would ruin the new chemistry in the room. Good luck to him, but there was never a place here once gone

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
You actually think the Jets aren't trying to win a championship? Buff thinks they are. So does Scheifele. I think they are closer to a championship than the Isles, all things considered. That team just let Okposo and Nielsen walk and replaced them with Ladd and Chimera. Not exactly a big leap forward.

I didn't say that. I said you need to compare actions vs stated goals/philosophy and/or mission/values statements and see if the one backs the other up.

Take the average workplace... they probably have value statements about how valued and integral employees are and anti-harassment policies and "open door" for complaints and concerns but what really happens is usually (in my experience at least) quite different.

That's the only corollary I was trying to draw; statements and professed goals are great but do the actions lie in accordance with them.

In the case of the Jets... maybe they do and maybe they don't. The bad/questionable decisions have been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere.

Edit: and... Buff and Sheif could be wrong.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I didn't say that. I said you need to compare actions vs stated goals/philosophy and/or mission/values statements and see if the one backs the other up.

Take the average workplace... they probably have value statements about how valued and integral employees are and anti-harassment policies and "open door" for complaints and concerns but what really happens is usually (in my experience at least) quite different.

That's the only corollary I was trying to draw; statements and professed goals are great but do the actions lie in accordance with them.

In the case of the Jets... maybe they do and maybe they don't. The bad/questionable decisions have been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere.

Edit: and... Buff and Sheif could be wrong.

I think it's a matter of opinion. There are many that think that the way the Jets have built up their roster and prospect pool is exactly the way you would do it to become a top contender and perhaps champion. And the list of people or publications with that opinion goes well beyond Jets' fans.

I actually think they made a pretty tough but wise decision to move on from the original core and build through youth and the draft. I noted in another post that if you assume that Myers and Stafford more or less balance off Bogo and Kane, then the Jets have essentially added Dano, Armia, Roslovic, Lemieux and Stanley while losing only Ladd.

My concern is that they have a penchant for bad decisions with their roster, and that could actually constrain their progress. I don't think it has anything to do with being "cheap" (as some have suggested), but rather an unwise emphasis on gritty and unskilled veterans and an over-emphasis on being "big and heavy". I've seen some encouraging signs based on their roster and prospect list, but I need to see it reflected in the line-up before increasing confidence in the decision-making.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
I think it's a matter of opinion. There are many that think that the way the Jets have built up their roster and prospect pool is exactly the way you would do it to become a top contender and perhaps champion. And the list of people or publications with that opinion goes well beyond Jets' fans.

I actually think they made a pretty tough but wise decision to move on from the original core and build through youth and the draft. I noted in another post that if you assume that Myers and Stafford more or less balance off Bogo and Kane, then the Jets have essentially added Dano, Armia, Roslovic, Lemieux and Stanley while losing only Ladd.

My concern is that they have a penchant for bad decisions with their roster, and that could actually constrain their progress. I don't think it has anything to do with being "cheap" (as some have suggested), but rather an unwise emphasis on gritty and unskilled veterans and an over-emphasis on being "big and heavy". I've seen some encouraging signs based on their roster and prospect list, but I need to see it reflected in the line-up before increasing confidence in the decision-making.

I believe the answer to questions about bad roster decisions will be finally and completely all answered by the day after the 2017 NHL Trade Deadline for you will see some encouraging signs based on their roster and prospect list and definitely not completely at the first of the season but as time goes on.... it will slowly move forward and be finally set in stone after the 2017 NHL Trade Deadline.

Cheers

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Losing a soon to be UFA Ladd, who signed for a contract that would have handcuffed the Jets when having to sign their young players after their ELCs. More quality young prospects, and more cap flexibility. Losing Ladd was a good thing, IMO.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Ehlers will already be a better LW than Ladd this season. Laine will be very soon.

Maybe ...
Maybe not .,,
Ladd has a good track record, the other guys not yet but likely.
The overlooked issue is how well LLW played as a unit and how under rated that line was .
Little and Wheeler didn't carry Ladd or the other way around .
That's 3 damn good players that worked well as a unit.
I really like Ehlers and am looking forward to Laine
But they have some big shoes to fill at LW

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe ...
Maybe not .,,
Ladd has a good track record, the other guys not yet but likely.
The overlooked issue is how well LLW played as a unit and how under rated that line was .
Little and Wheeler didn't carry Ladd or the other way around .
That's 3 damn good players that worked well as a unit.
I really like Ehlers and am looking forward to Laine
But they have some big shoes to fill at LW

I think Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler was even better down the stretch than LLW has been. They dominated a lot of matchups and sometimes forced other teams to switch up their lines. Last season, Ladd was actually a bit of a drag on Little and Wheeler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad