Return of Andrew Ladd

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I don't see a proud guy like ladd turning down 6X6 and then coming back with his tail between his legs for less. If he signs with another team for less it would be more easily explainable and less of a blow to the ego imo

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Went with No Chance. If there was a very very unlikely option, i would have went with that one. Just don't see it happening unless LADD takes a massive discount in terms of cash and term. Just really don't see the fit. Figured all along it would be one of Buff or Ladd and i think they made the right choice keeping Buff.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Taking less money. No Captaincy. Just a bad look overall. We have a lot of forwards. Laine and Connor coming this year makes the need for a guy like Ladd a lot less. Move on.

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
After last year's debacle, i don't think there is a chance management would want him back. If he does come back, there is no way he would be made captain: in my opinion his attitude / lack of leadership because of the contract issues contributed in no small part to the lousy year (but also to us winning the draft lottery...so thanks for that Laddy!).

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't see a proud guy like ladd turning down 6X6 and then coming back with his tail between his legs for less. If he signs with another team for less it would be more easily explainable and less of a blow to the ego imo

My thought exactly. 3 x 3 tops for a third line winger position.... and no letter on the jersey.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
After last year's debacle, i don't think there is a chance management would want him back. If he does come back, there is no way he would be made captain: in my opinion his attitude / lack of leadership because of the contract issues contributed in no small part to the lousy year (but also to us winning the draft lottery...so thanks for that Laddy!).

Just curious - does anyone know if there's been a scenario like Ladd's where a former captain returned in FA after being traded at the deadline?

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
LW
Laine
Connor
Perry
Dano
If he were to come back at a discount it would be because his wife wanted it for her carrier.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand

That was not attitude it was recovery from his injury and surgery from the pervious year. Which he played through.

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
No need to throw Ladd under the bus, a simple he's not coming back would be enough.

Ladd wasn't the only guy who had a tough year with the Jets this season, the whole team outside of the young guys and wheeler looked off for most of the year.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I voted "No Chance" because that's closer to my opinion than "Somewhat likely". If there were a "Somewhat UNlikely" then that's where I'd vote.

I think the organization respects Ladd's leadership and character - and value his contributions on the ice of course. His wife was on the board for the True North Foundation. Clearly well liked by his teammates (Wheeler, Buff, Little).

I think it's unlikely he comes back just because he's looking for something else. I think this team could be closer to contention than a lot of teams in the league, but if he gets a reasonable deal from a bona fide contender, that's where he goes. I really get the feeling he lost patience with the Jets' slow build.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I voted "No Chance" because that's closer to my opinion than "Somewhat likely". If there were a "Somewhat UNlikely" then that's where I'd vote.

Me too, though my actual feelings are that it's very unlikely.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
For what it's worth Mark Chipman said in an interview that he would definitely consider bring back Ladd, saying "I've got all the time in the world for Andrew Ladd."

Realistically, I don't think they'd bring him back. He'd have to take less money and accept a reduced role. The ego is a very powerful force.

That said, there aren't too many contenders that have enough cap space for him, unless he really took a huge pay cut.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Ehlers
Ladd - Perreault - Stafford
Lowry - Burmistrov - Dano

Not bad! We do have the cap space too.

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
No need to throw Ladd under the bus, a simple he's not coming back would be enough.

Ladd wasn't the only guy who had a tough year with the Jets this season, the whole team outside of the young guys and wheeler looked off for most of the year.

Fair enough...Ladd did a lot for this team. And I have no idea how he was in terms of leadership during negotiations. I just get a little salty he decided to leave after articles like this:

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-blackhawks/andrew-ladd-chance-play-contender-trumps-money

https://fansided.com/2016/04/28/chicago-blackhawks-andrew-ladd-willing-give-discount/

And darn it, I can't find the article that came out a couple weeks ago where he admits he was in a bad place because of the talks, but turned it around after the all-star break (and he did).

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg

How much heat do you think he would take from the city if it ends up that he turned down 6 x 6 to end up accepting 4 x 5m somewhere else in free agency? I imagine the jets would explore offering something around that figure, if he turns it down to protect his ego I dont necessarily see that sitting well with the average fan

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I think the organization respects Ladd's leadership and character - and value his contributions on the ice of course. His wife was on the board for the True North Foundation. Clearly well liked by his teammates (Wheeler, Buff, Little).

I think it's unlikely he comes back just because he's looking for something else. I think this team could be closer to contention than a lot of teams in the league, but if he gets a reasonable deal from a bona fide contender, that's where he goes. I really get the feeling he lost patience with the Jets' slow build.

I agree with this.

I actually think that he might well end up on a team that is further from contention than the Jets, but he's not at the stage of his career where I expect him to give a big discount to any team.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
We don't need Ladd, but when he's available as a rental in years down the road I would not mind and appreciate the Jets picking him up for a playoff run as a final thank you though!

Maybe even for a real True North Hollywood ending.

Last edited:

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Very unlikely he comes back. The Jets were comfortable moving on from Ladd and I think they're going to stick by that decision. We have some great young pieces coming in to fill his position and I think it's time we give the kids some bigger roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad