Return of Andrew Ladd

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
He was already back here as a Blackhawk and got a huge standing ovation. I don't know why sentiment would shift now. Can't blame him for signing a 7 year deal for $38.5M - sounds like it's a lockout-proof/buyout-proof deal too?

Forgot he was already back! :laugh:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Thought Ladd and his agent left $ $ on the table when they turned down our 6x6, but I was wrong! Good for Ladd, well deserved contact.

Happy that we didn't participate though, that could be $$ spent on Ehlers and Connor

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
He got paid 2.5M more somewhere else. I don't think it was wise on the part of the Islanders but they should get least a few good years out of him.

I thought he and his agent were bluffing - but in the end he went from (reported) 36M (6x6) to 38.5M (7x5.5).

Did well for himself. No hard feelings. Getting Laine basically put the bow on this, wrapping his time here up nicely for all sides.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ladd's contract with NYI shows me one of two things: He (or his wife) never wanted to stay in Wpg. OR he was delusional and the reality cheque just came today. (I believe he never intended to stay)

6x6 = 36
7x5.5 = 38.5
That total number is important.
I think Isles start regretting that contract in about 4 years but I'm happy for Laddy. No negativity towards him whatsoever. He contributed a great deal to getting Jets 2.0 off to a good start.

I wouldn't quite put it that "he never intended to stay" but I think he was very disappointed with the youth movement. He wanted to win and win now. If Chevy had basically kept our playoff team together except for incremental improvements he would have stayed here. Tlusty out, Ehlers in. Pav out, Bucky in. Stu out, Morrissey in. The rest unchanged would have been about right. Chevy (and Maurice) decided that wasn't good enough. Ladd disagreed.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Congrats to Ladd on a cotract that i thought nobody would of been foolish enough to give him, unfortunately he is no closer to winning the cup as the Islanders got weaker today and the threat of Tavares maybe bolting after 2 years, but at least he and his family are set for life

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Congrats to Ladd on a cotract that i thought nobody would of been foolish enough to give him, unfortunately he is no closer to winning the cup as the Islanders got weaker today and the threat of Tavares maybe bolting after 2 years, but at least he and his family are set for life

Eh. He's already win two of those Stanley Cup things.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good for Laddy I always liked the guy!

Good for the Jets I would not want him here on that deal.

Pumped about today our only stupid signing is a one year deal.

Fools gold successfully dodged.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Eh. He's already win two of those Stanley Cup things.

Nothing against Ladd and i'm not going to beat this to death but one of the supposed reason he did not want to resign here was the direction the club was going and wanting to play on a contender and win the cup, i know he has 2 rings, but i just wanted to point out that he did not accomplish his goal. As others have said happy for him even happier he signed that contract elsewhere.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Only way I think I'd ever want him back on the Jets now is if the Islanders retain at least 60% of his salary or more.

Still can't wait to see all the Ladd proposals that come up in the near future.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Honestly, the contract is structured in a way where Ladd is essentially playing for 5 more years, then will likely retire. He's getting almost no salary, with the vast majority of his money coming in signing bonuses.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Good for Ladd, he got a well deserved pay day. Him and Johny T are going to light it up. Good luck to him.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Nothing against Ladd and i'm not going to beat this to death but one of the supposed reason he did not want to resign here was the direction the club was going and wanting to play on a contender and win the cup, i know he has 2 rings, but i just wanted to point out that he did not accomplish his goal. As others have said happy for him even happier he signed that contract elsewhere.

He had his last shot this year, and it didn't happen. He'll play out his retirement deal, and ride into the sunset.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Only way I think I'd ever want him back on the Jets now is if the Islanders retain at least 60% of his salary or more.

The bulk of it is in signing bonuses, and he gets 1m per year in salary. Retaining salary on that trade is pointless, as he's guaranteed the signing bonus money regardless.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Lawless and others had said many times that Ladd and the Jets agreed on term but not $$. The Jets may have offered 6 x $6M but I doubt ithe Jets offer ever contained the level of lockout/buyout protection or upfront money that he received from the Islanders.

16/17 $8M ($7M sb)
17/18 $7.5M ($6.5M sb)
18/19 $6M ($5M sb)
19/20 $5M ($4M sb)
20/21 $4M ($3M sb) - potential lockout season
21/22 $4M ($3M sb)
22/23 $4M (3M sb) -potential lockout season

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
There are a few things that age and experience have taught me;

1. Unless the player is a *********, don't worry about what he does off the ice (The Natural is a clear example of when you do worry about these things for example).
2. Realize that whatever the athlete says in interviews is just verbal (and quite possibly) mental diarrhea to placate the masses who indirectly transfer their money into his bank account.
3. What the wife wants, the wife usually gets.
4. Very few care about the market - they play here and then go live the good life in a place of their choosing for ~ 2-4 months of the year which is something the average fan has no frame of reference for (PK Subban may be one example of the exception to the rule here).
5. Cheer for your team and your players but don't expect loyalty for even a second longer than the contract mandates it (perhaps "loyalty" is the wrong word... contractual obligations perhaps).
6. Don't spend too long worrying about the money side of things. The teams do that and so do the players. If the fan gets overly absorbed into it, eventually the numbers of 000,000,000s flying around in comparison to your seemingly lowly 50k can make you depressed and resentful and ultimately destroys your enjoyment of watching and being a fan.
7. There's probably more but I seem to be in a mood this morning. Must be thinking about the screw job of November 17 2014 again.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The Islanders have been a top-10 team in the league the past 2 seasons with 100 and 101 points respectively. The 'contender' box was a check in this deal, just like the 'good place for his family'.
He reiterated post-signing with NYI that those two were among his major criteria and he attained them all.
Good for Ladd; I am very happy for him.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...

1. Unless the player is a *********, don't worry about what he does off the ice (The Natural is a clear example of when you do worry about these things for example).
2. Realize that whatever the athlete says in interviews is just verbal (and quite possibly) mental diarrhea to placate the masses who indirectly transfer their money into his bank account.
4. Very few care about the market - they play here and then go live the good life in a place of their choosing for ~ 2-4 months of the year which is something the average fan has no frame of reference for (PK Subban may be one example of the exception to the rule here).
5. Cheer for your team and your players but don't expect loyalty for even a second longer than the contract mandates it (perhaps "loyalty" is the wrong word... contractual obligations perhaps).
6. Don't spend too long worrying about the money side of things. The teams do that and so do the players. If the fan gets overly absorbed into it, eventually the numbers of 000,000,000s flying around in comparison to your seemingly lowly 50k can make you depressed and resentful and ultimately destroys your enjoyment of watching and being a fan.
7. There's probably more but I seem to be in a mood this morning. Must be thinking about the screw job of November 17 2014 again.

Good post. Good advice. Remind me again, what happened Nov 17, 2014?
Edit: was it the lock out? No, that can't be right.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Good post. Good advice. Remind me again, what happened Nov 17, 2014?
Edit: was it the lock out? No, that can't be right.

Personal screw job.

Add one;

8. Just because an organization tells you what their goals and guiding principles are, don't believe them until their actions are in accordance with the PR/advertising. In the hockey world - your team's management and ownership tell you they are dedicated to building a winner and winning a championship but do their moves (or lack thereof) support that stated goal or not.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
The Islanders have been a top-10 team in the league the past 2 seasons with 100 and 101 points respectively. The 'contender' box was a check in this deal, just like the 'good place for his family'.
He reiterated post-signing with NYI that those two were among his major criteria and he attained them all.
Good for Ladd; I am very happy for him.

I don't think that many consider the Islanders a contender after yesterday they lost more than they got, time will tell, but Ladd took the must most money and term that was offered to him and i don't blame him for that.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013

Hit the nail on the head., especially #5.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007

You wouldn't take him back unless he came at $2-2.5M ? lol okay.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You wouldn't take him back unless he came at $2-2.5M ? lol okay.

They don't speak for most of us.
Ladd will be a great addition and will be contributing for quite a while.
Most of us would have liked him back at shorter term.
At the end of the day you have to look after your family and that's what he did.
NYI are a hard working team and the Jets always struggle against them.
Hope NYI and Ladd have an awesome season
Cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad