Retro Winnipeg Jets Branding

White Out 403*

The opinion I'm offering is every bit as relevant as yours, thanks. What I'm suggesting is: there's an element of nostalgia in these votes that may or may not be relevant for new fans. When presented with something from our past, many gravitate towards it simply for nostalgic reasons. S'all I'm saying. If you look above, you'll note that I said I like the 80's and 90's stuff as well - simply offering my opinion on why polls may play as they do, not whether I like the unis or not.

In your opinion. And that's fine. I disagree though. And that's fine too. That's the thing with visual design and graphics - it affects people in different ways.

I'm really not sure what this post was getting at? Yes, taste varies as you've mentioned. But the overwhelming sentiment is that the 90's jerseys are preferred by hockey fans. So if you had to try and "decide" which jersey was best, I can't think of a better litmus test.

If the Jets made the secondary light blue red, lightened up the blue, got rid of the ugly shoulders patches and the bezel on the current logos, I'd be very happy and I think it would look many times better. If you want to find a middle ground.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm really not sure what this post was getting at? Yes, taste varies as you've mentioned. But the overwhelming sentiment is that the 90's jerseys are preferred by hockey fans. So if you had to try and "decide" which jersey was best, I can't think of a better litmus test.

I'm trying to address your point about the poll on the main boards. The only thing that's overwhelmingly true is that a poll conducted on a rabid hockey board with fans who have a tendency to be nostalgic resulted in a lopsided result. You'd have to do something a bit more scientific to convince me that the older stuff would sell better than the newer stuff.

Again: I myself like both the old stuff AND the new stuff. I have no stake in this game.

If the Jets made the secondary light blue red, lightened up the blue, got rid of the ugly shoulders patches and the bezel on the current logos, I'd be very happy and I think it would look many times better. If you want to find a middle ground.

That might work. Or you could take the new colours (which I prefer) and apply them to an older look, and that might work as well. I created an image that someone posted earlier in the thread that takes the new blue colour and subs is in for the old blue, and adds red pants. I think it's fairly classy, and pays homage to both old and new.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I appreciate your opinion but you're in the vast minority here. Go check out the poll on the main boards. Not even close.

A poll that absolutley means nothing, zilch. My opinion does not need to be validated by some unscientific poll done on a hockey fan board. My opinion is not wrong because I'm in the minority which seems like what you're trying to imply.

Run a poll that goes beyond hockey fans and open it up to people who may have never seen the two uniforms/logos before and I would bet the results would be vastly different.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
The problems is that this new and "fresh" feels and smells like something plastic. The original Jets was made of steel.

Completely disagree, the old ones were the ones that looked like plastic. With the red pants and shuttlecock to the giant wordmark that took over the logo, so glad they moved on.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
If you look at the uni that Ladd's in at the top of this thread, that's essentially what I did: used the new colours, with the old striping and logo. I think it's an interesting homage that ties the new into the old.

you keep on drawing me back to the Ladd jpg and i hate you for it because, when initially posted 1-2 years ago (?), i realized that it was absolutely perfect. and i have a pretty good eye for design.
literally, zero flaw to it. well, other than your logo being a tiny bit too big (a la the Avalanche 3rd jersey logo) and it bleeding onto his left arm in your jpg. :)

and i would want to re-visit the waist stripe you have. unsure if it's too thick or not.

but yours is so much better than that horrible Jacob Barrett thing. it reminds me of a half-arsed Winnipeg 1990s stucco building you'd see when driving down Corydon.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I prefer the late 70's look. When we won championships. That's Anders Hedberg on the left, not N. Ehlers...

1zr0sjt.jpg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am always humbled by how into Jersey design people are. For the most part I don't tend to like sport jerseys. My first purchase ever was a Jets 2.0 jersey when the team came back but I still have not committed to a name on the back :laugh:. I have to admit it makes it away easier to get ready to attend a game.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Completely disagree, the old ones were the ones that looked like plastic. With the red pants and shuttlecock to the giant wordmark that took over the logo, so glad they moved on.

let's look at the 3 logos:
winnipeg-jets-old-logo.jpg

1297202858706_ORIGINAL.jpg

Kavanagh-Moose-Front.jpg

first, one must realize that there is a chance, albeit not overly likely, that 1990s-era design will become cool again. again, not likely.
the problem with the Jets' 1990s logo is pretty simple. it is dated, and not in a good way:

-overuse of drop shadows
-shuttlecock spaceship plane (you just have to use imagination to see it as an airplane)
- the 1990s' futuristic font used
- the connecting of letters in Winnipeg making it hard to read
- the jet trail through JETS that you kind of have to imagine being there

otherwise? it's a great logo. hah.

now, is the 1980s' logo any good? Not really. compare it to other NHL logos, like the much-beloved Whalers' logo (which is quite brilliant) and the beautifully kitschy Nordiques logo (an igloo holding a hockey stick? what??). it really is a weird piecemeal logo that a child probably drew and gave to their parents to put on their fridge. but that's what makes it endearing. what's great about it?
-the perfect retro font used back in the 1970s. the stylistic connection of the E and T in JETS looks great. The sexy curve of the S in JETS? *swoonz*
- the half-moon curve of WINNIPEG, especially that lovely truncated G. how many teams have the city's name in the logo? Islanders, Rangers, Leafs. so that's unique.
- the colours used in the 70s and 80s look great now. maybe in 10 years, the 1990s' Jets' jersey colours will be great, but we're back to jerseys looking rich and lush and not flat and dull.
- the airplane flying with the sun/moon silhouetting it. okay, so i have no idea what someone was smoking when they designed that. but i remember what my first microwave looked like and i think of it and my parents' red valoure couch they had back then and the jet makes sense.
-the NHL version of the logo has the top and bottom tip of the J poking into the circle border. i love that.

i can promise you that a retro 1980s jersey would easily outsell the 1990s jersey. again, use Golden State Warriors as an example of how to properly release retro.

the only question i'd have is: what about the JETS logo?
it's neat but a bit boring. word marks vs logo? logos always rule.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad