Retro Winnipeg Jets Branding

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't follow the Winnipeg Jets too closely but has there ever been mention of going back to a Teemu Selanne era retro look for the franchise? The modern look has grown on me a bit but doesn't feel the same. I always thought the Jets looked best in that era, something just seems right about seeing those uniforms in a Smythe Division context...

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd like to see some more red back in the uniforms.

retro_with_new_colours.jpg

White Out 403*

zero mention. just another mistake chipman et all made. jets 90's jerseys are far superior.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
zero mention. just another mistake chipman et all made. jets 90's jerseys are far superior.

I seem to remember Chipman (or maybe someone else) mentioning that they were planning to slowly roll out some Jets 1.0 branding.

It does make sense that they wouldn't right off the bat. Wait until 2.0 merch sales start slowing down.

White Out 403*

I seem to remember Chipman (or maybe someone else) mentioning that they were planning to slowly roll out some Jets 1.0 branding.

It does make sense that they wouldn't right off the bat. Wait until 2.0 merch sales start slowing down.

If they went back full time to Jets 1.0 branding that'd make me even happier than the Bombers going back to royal blue. timeless and classy, the 90's are.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
If they went back full time to Jets 1.0 branding that'd make me even happier than the Bombers going back to royal blue. timeless and classy, the 90's are.

Me if the Bombers went back to their pre-1995 helmets and uniforms:

shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

As for the Jets, I would definitely like to see some Jets 1.0-themed alternate jerseys. That said, I loved our new logo from day one, and the jerseys (especially the whites) have slowly grown on me.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

That 90s Jets pattern is timeless and would look fantastic in any era. I hope they go back to that in the future. If the Islanders, Oilers, Capitals etc are any indication, going back to those classic designs would be a nice direction for the Jets to go.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
If they could go back to the old uni's with the new logo that would look beautiful.

White Out 403*

If they could go back to the old uni's with the new logo that would look beautiful.

the old logo is much nicer. bezel is a cheap photoshop effect that is a symptom of them putting together a jersey and logo in months when it normally takes a year, year and a half process

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Jets 1.0 were the worst selling jerseys of the NHL at the time. I completely understand the nostalgia factor for all of us around here, but there's reality to deal with as well. I'm completely supportive of the new design and also the notion of bringing in some retro alternate jerseys. But I am 110% supportive of the Jets new branding, since it brought in tremendous revenue to the team when it returned to Winnipeg - something I've not forgotten that the Jets 1.0 never really had.

I'm a strong traditionalist (I like all white at Wimbledon) but that said, whatever helps the Jets remain a financially strong franchise I'm supportive of so if they want to be like the more modern teams and regularly change logos/unis, I'm behind them. When I shed this mortal coil I hope the Jets are still playing in Winnipeg.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
That's just a market-size issue, no?

I don't think so. Certainly it contributes, but outside of Winnipeg there's no Sharks-like love for the logo. It just didn't sell. I'm way too lazy to go looking for it, but I think it was the worst selling logo of the "big 4" pro leagues when the Jets left for Aridzona. It just never really resonated with people either like the original six logos did or the newer logos like the Sharks did. It was kind of classic LA Kings (purple era) suckish I think.

Don't get me wrong, I'm overtly attached to all of them as many here are. I just don't think anyone else cared outside of the Jets main market. It's like the Oilers main logo - it just isn't appealing to the masses.

White Out 403*

Oh please. As if these new jerseys appeal to anyone but Jets fans.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Oh please. As if these new jerseys appeal to anyone but Jets fans.

Won't argue the point all that much. But that first season was huge merch sales-wise. If it was all in Winnipeg and surrounding area, so be it. I'm only after the success of the franchise. If you want to contend that the new logo sucks badly, fine by me. But if you want to contend the old logo was better, that's entirely subjective and sales, relatively speaking, sucked for years. That's not conducive to greater success.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
True North was pressured into naming the team the Jets. I don't begrudge them wanting to keep the branding distinctive.

It's a fair compromise, I think.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Not exactly true. The Heritage Jerseys are rumoured to pay tribute to Jets 1.0 but not sure how far back they'll go.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Fwiw, I've shown several non-NHL sport fans and several non-North American sports sport fans the range of NHL jersey colours and logos, and they all seem to think the jets have the best logo (for the most part) and the best colours

while I like the retro jerseys and logos a lot my self, the new logo is attractive in the sense of being simple and clean and the blue colours are very nice

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

Couldn't disagree more. The whole logo and uni screams 90's which is the opposite of timeless. I loved Jets 1.0 but let's be honest that logo was just a mish mash of words and a little plane. Oh, and a 70s style "hockey stick J".

It was still light years ahead of the 80's train wreck though.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think they should revitalize the old logo a bit. I love some of the mock ups I've found on the internet.
This one has a more modern feel to it while also paying homage to the old logo.

Barette_jets.png

I randomly found this logo once and loved it so much I will be getting it tattooed on my leg this coming spring. It's a mash up of the old and the new. I'll be getting it without the little gray Jet though.

jets.png

I think doing something along those lines could appeal to new and old fans alike.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm more of a fan of the 70's-80's Jets logo. Very similar to the Islanders of that era.

Oh, and the Bombers Royal Blue uni's weren't a 90's design, they were a 70's era design, with minor tweaks over the years. Still my favourite.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer the new Logo and uniforms. I think they look much sleeker and more modern. I know most people like the old ones better. (Yes I am old and I was around for Jets 1.0 :) )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad