Retro Winnipeg Jets Branding

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I've always hated the Jets logo, they can't change it to a 3rd fast enough for me. I never really said anything because I thought I'd come around to it, not going to happen it seems.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
If I remember correctly Chipman had said they plan on doing retro for the heritage classic but wanted to pay tribute to the WHA day's more then the NHL days of the previous team.

Personally i like the new logo. It doesn't wow me, but it's ok.

I wanted a new logo, I even would have preferred a new name but so it goes.

I don't dislike the old logo at all, I just liked the opportunity to make a fresh start.

The new jersey colors are ok, i've seen some redesigns floating around with different uses of the blue's and especially like the previously linked one with the red pants.

FWIW I REALLY like our whites. I don't know why, i think the colors just work better as accents.

Another thing i like now is the new jersey designs/color blocking that some teams are using. The av's new jersey is the one i like the most, but I think minnie uses a similar blocking scheme on one of their jerseys.

Its just a bit of a tweak on the retro jersey design

Seriously, if you look at what jersey's most people seem to always say look "the best" it's always the same:

Either A) two colors, White shoulder caps, and White elbows or pedastal on the bottom or
B) one color with just elbow striping/pedastal.

Granted they look good, but that's 80% of the jersey's in the league, i like seeing something a little different (hence the new Av's jersey design being a close, but not quite the same as the ones outlined above)

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer the new Logo and uniforms. I think they look much sleeker and more modern. I know most people like the old ones better. (Yes I am old and I was around for Jets 1.0 :) )

I tend to agree with you. It's not a knock against the old uniforms, they did a great job re branding the team with the new logo.

I would like to see a throwback that incorporates features from a few different eras, into one.

White Out 403*

for me the new branding is very last minute and thrown together. the wings look terrible. the bezeling is god awful. the logo is ok except for that i guess.

but in the end the 90s jerseys are much nicer. i realize its all taste.. but a poll on the main board is hugely in favour of the 90's jerseys to our currents.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I think if you showed the two to a control group that had never heard of nor seen either before the opinion split might be different.

"older is better" has been a mantra in design/marketing/branding for about the last 10 years.

Mostly due to backlash of the godawful "AWESOME FUTURE" marketing/design trends that came out in the mid 90's to mid 200's.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
The nostalgia factor already weighs heavily with jersey's Selanne's 90's version vs Hawerchuks 80's version vs Hull's 70's version. By virtue of the fact that most seen in the arena are both Hawerchuk and Selanne versions, the 3rd jersey brand should be the more Hull 70's version - also a tribute to Hull personally in the arena would be timely and appropriate

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Like the new uni's. Also liked the last renditions of the WHA uniforms. Didn't mind the 80's and 90's, but for me: they're showing their age. The colours/stripes of the '90s I dig, but I dislike the logo itself.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
We shouldn't go out of our way to show any attention to hull. Fortunately I believe this org shares most of that sentiment

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
That 90s Jets pattern is timeless and would look fantastic in any era. I hope they go back to that in the future. If the Islanders, Oilers, Capitals etc are any indication, going back to those classic designs would be a nice direction for the Jets to go.

LOL.
i lived through the 90s. the shuttlecock is NOT timeless.
i'd much rather have the kitsch of the 70s and 80s logo. look how much success the GS Warriors have their their retro unis.

i'm curious if the retro jersey we'll see in the next 2 years will be the word branding or the logo. i have a feeling it will be the word branding.

but if you use this exact jersey and just darken the blue up? you indeed have a perfect logo and jersey. the arm striping is great. the shoulder bar is great. you don't need the red in the neck V, but whatever.

156cea75d9c35ed5.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Jets 1.0 were the worst selling jerseys of the NHL at the time. I completely understand the nostalgia factor for all of us around here, but there's reality to deal with as well. I'm completely supportive of the new design and also the notion of bringing in some retro alternate jerseys. But I am 110% supportive of the Jets new branding, since it brought in tremendous revenue to the team when it returned to Winnipeg - something I've not forgotten that the Jets 1.0 never really had.

I'm a strong traditionalist (I like all white at Wimbledon) but that said, whatever helps the Jets remain a financially strong franchise I'm supportive of so if they want to be like the more modern teams and regularly change logos/unis, I'm behind them. When I shed this mortal coil I hope the Jets are still playing in Winnipeg.

This would seem to not be 100% true.
I'm sure there was a story about the Jets, Nordiques and Whalers merch being in the top 10 in NHL sales just a few years before the team came back. Perhaps this was just a short period of retro love but I remember seeing a couple of articles in the news about extinct franchises outselling the majority of the existing teams.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
This would seem to not be 100% true.
I'm sure there was a story about the Jets, Nordiques and Whalers merch being in the top 10 in NHL sales just a few years before the team came back. Perhaps this was just a short period of retro love but I remember seeing a couple of articles in the news about extinct franchises outselling the majority of the existing teams.

I won't argue the point that the retro look was popular AFTER the team left. I would actually argue 100% that it was never more popular than after the team was gone - as happened for the Nords/Whalers as well.

My point was referring to when the team was in residence in Winnipeg. Winnipeggers loved it heart and soul, no question. Outside the fan base, nope.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
zero mention. just another mistake chipman et all made. jets 90's jerseys are far superior.

No they are not, they are outdated and were nice at the time but the new ones are much better in every conceivable way. This hanging on to the past makes zero sense to me but to each their own. Thank god Chipman had the brains to move on and offer up a vast improvement and start with something fresh.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Thank god Chipman had the brains to move on and offer up a vast improvement and start with something fresh.
The problems is that this new and "fresh" feels and smells like something plastic. The original Jets was made of steel.

White Out 403*

No they are not, they are outdated and were nice at the time but the new ones are much better in every conceivable way. This hanging on to the past makes zero sense to me but to each their own. Thank god Chipman had the brains to move on and offer up a vast improvement and start with something fresh.

I appreciate your opinion but you're in the vast minority here. Go check out the poll on the main boards. Not even close.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
LOL.
i lived through the 90s. the shuttlecock is NOT timeless.
i'd much rather have the kitsch of the 70s and 80s logo. look how much success the GS Warriors have their their retro unis.

i'm curious if the retro jersey we'll see in the next 2 years will be the word branding or the logo. i have a feeling it will be the word branding.

but if you use this exact jersey and just darken the blue up? you indeed have a perfect logo and jersey. the arm striping is great. the shoulder bar is great. you don't need the red in the neck V, but whatever.

If you look at the uni that Ladd's in at the top of this thread, that's essentially what I did: used the new colours, with the old striping and logo. I think it's an interesting homage that ties the new into the old.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Like the new uni's. Also liked the last renditions of the WHA uniforms. Didn't mind the 80's and 90's, but for me: they're showing their age. The colours/stripes of the '90s I dig, but I dislike the logo itself.

Yup. I liked the old whites with the red pants. Classy. Logos are tough. They always look contrived because they are.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I think they should revitalize the old logo a bit. I love some of the mock ups I've found on the internet.
This one has a more modern feel to it while also paying homage to the old logo.

Barette_jets.png

I randomly found this logo once and loved it so much I will be getting it tattooed on my leg this coming spring. It's a mash up of the old and the new. I'll be getting it without the little gray Jet though.

jets.png

I think doing something along those lines could appeal to new and old fans alike.

The Jacob Barrette design is awful, IMHO. It's a wordmark within a circle, and an extremely dull one at that. I guess you could say it's a homage but it doesn't have any of the flair or character of the 80s or 90s versions. The font isn't even particularly nice. #stronglydislike

White Out 403*

Nostalgia has been known to influence opinion.

Okay? So what? Non Jets fans all highly agree our best jersey was the 90's. Nostalgia or not.. that's how it is. Attempting to discredit that by suggesting it's nostalgia 1) a guess 2) irrelevant. People like what they like.

IMHO if we polled non-hockey fans globally, the new logo would fare quite well. Also some of the 'classic, best-ever' logos of other teams would probably do poorly.

Well, that's equally if not more irrelevant. Hockey fans are who buys the merch. That's like saying "hey we need to re-design our Soccer kits. Let's go to the ballet and use their season ticket holders to make an informed decision on the direction we should take".

Hockey fans all around prefer the Jets 90's jersey, and with good reason. Blue and red just work, and the the logos bezel is cheap and amateurish.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Okay? So what? Non Jets fans all highly agree our best jersey was the 90's. Nostalgia or not.. that's how it is. Attempting to discredit that by suggesting it's nostalgia 1) a guess 2) irrelevant. People like what they like.

The opinion I'm offering is every bit as relevant as yours, thanks. What I'm suggesting is: there's an element of nostalgia in these votes that may or may not be relevant for new fans. When presented with something from our past, many gravitate towards it simply for nostalgic reasons. S'all I'm saying. If you look above, you'll note that I said I like the 80's and 90's stuff as well - simply offering my opinion on why polls may play as they do, not whether I like the unis or not.

Hockey fans all around prefer the Jets 90's jersey, and with good reason. Blue and red just work, and the the logos bezel is cheap and amateurish.

In your opinion. And that's fine. I disagree though. And that's fine too. That's the thing with visual design and graphics - it affects people in different ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad