Post-Game Talk: Rested Jets 6 - Dead Wings 2

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
This year is different.

The tank for Bedard is real. Chicago, Anaheim, Columbus, and San Jose are losing at an insane pace. The players are trying, but management isn't exactly going to pressure any injured starts to return, or call up any prospects from the minors who will help the team win.
Again respectfully I have to disagree

The tank for mcdavid still had teams playing hard down the stretch

It’s the same every year

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Again respectfully I have to disagree

The tank for mcdavid still had teams playing hard down the stretch

It’s the same every year

The four teams that are in contention to finish last (last 10 games):

1. Chicago 2-8-0
2. Columbus 3-6-1
3. Anaheim 2-7-1
4. San Jose 2-5-3

In 2014-15, Buffalo arguably did a "soft tank" going 4-13-3 in their last 20. They also traded away Myers and Stafford to Winnipeg, when they knew Evander Kane was out for the season. They also gave away a slew of players near or at the trade deadline for draft picks.

Players never play to lose, but management can manipulate a team, so they don't perform well. Even though the Sabres lost the lottery, they did end up with Eichel, who was the 2015 equivalent of Adam Fantilli.

Reading the Chicago HFBoards forum is interesting. Absolutely nobody want the Blackhawks to win. They are all of the opinion that the Hawks should do everything to ensure they come in last.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Jets have a 2 point cushion on Calgary , Vancouver useless to us by the way, we play Calgary next week, we win that game and i think that's all she wrote for Calgary and we are at home and Calgary plays the night before, i like our chances especially if we play like last night.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That was nice. Liked the wave!!

I might watch the jersey game but i saw our special guy abandon all the good side of his game halfway thru the second

Ehlers deserves nino on his line

Go Brad Lauer!!! The West FEARS the Jets
Connor was worse than Scheifele defending last night, there was a couple of times in the 3rd, i went back and watched, where Connor literally was covering absolutely nobody the entire time in our zone. Scheifele deserves criticism alot but he's not the only one with defensive issues, just saying.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Enjoyed the game. This team is completely different to watch when it clicks. I thought sliding 55 to the wing with PLD was a savvy move. PLD can be such a driver when he is on and he has great chemistry with Connor, it kind of forces 55 to not be a passenger because he is not the one expect to drive the line.

Namestikov with 27 and 26 looked good and I only hope they can keep that

I love Nino in the top 6 but him and Lowry together is just a menace to deal with for other teams. I would prefer Barron on that line

Samberg showing that he will be top 4 for this team. He kind of reminds me of Brett Pesce or even DeMelo. An overlooked asset that is not usually a name that is dropped when talking about a teams best players, but actually kind of is.

Solid win. Now let's keep it going. The next game will tell the tale IMO on what this looks like for here on out including post season. Will we be competitive and be a handful or just more flatness and inconsistency?

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
That's why he's best used as a winger. Minimize the likelihood of him having to deal with that situation.
Agreed but he was also making poor passes and this was against a nonplayoff team that looked tired and bored. We will see how they do vs NJ

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Calgary’s schedule is a cake walk for the rest of the season. They should win all except one or two. Meanwhile, the Jets have games against New Jersey, the Preds and the Avs. Their “easy” games are against Calgary, Nashville and the Jet-killer Sharks. Ugh.
Jets have a game against the wild which is a guaranteed loss too uggh. Anyone notice the 4th line play on the pp in the 3rd? It led to a Pionk penalty and the wings getting their 2goals so all those wings fans could have their moment 🤣

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Flames schedule:

77April 2AnaheimCalgary
78April 4ChicagoCalgary
79April 5CalgaryWinnipeg
80April 8CalgaryVancouver
81April 10NashvilleCalgary
82April 12San JoseCalgary

We have to defeat the Flames in regulation, and hope a weaker team defeats them.

Theoretically, the Flames should beat Anaheim, Chicago, and San Jose.

The big two games are against Winnipeg and Nashville.
Can’t sit and spend so much time worrying about the Flames. We played much better last night and we are up 2 points on them and have the tie breaker. If we go 4-2 and one of those wins is against the Flames they can run the table the rest of their games and we are still in. And the Flames are too shitty to do that.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Can’t sit and spend so much time worrying about the Flames. We played much better last night and we are up 2 points on them and have the tie breaker. If we go 4-2 and one of those wins is against the Flames they can run the table the rest of their games and we are still in. And the Flames are too shitty to do that.

otoh...we may entirely be too shitty to go 4-2. lol.

But here's hoping!

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I was hoping maybe the Jets could catch the Kraken but they have 2 games in hand a 3 point lead and a pretty easy schedule after the Kings tonight.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
otoh...we may entirely be too shitty to go 4-2. lol.

But here's hoping!
Probably right but for me at least I’m getting tired of all the analysis of what is wrong with the organization. There will be a long offseason where those discussions will go round and round. For now we are a playoff race and we have a slight edge and we are coming off our best game in over a month. Last night I was at the game and it was probably the most fun I’ve had at a game all season. So for now it’s nice to just be a fan and cheer for your team.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was hoping maybe the Jets could catch the Kraken but they have 2 games in hand a 3 point lead and a pretty easy schedule after the Kings tonight.
Jets want to finish 8th so they can wrap up every series in the playoffs in game 4's on home ice and win the Cup on home ice in front of us great fans. :naughty:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well this is the type of game that gives hope that the first half team is still in there and we can get things on track.

It seems Lauer's absence was a major factor in our skid. Our offensive game and PP looked much different then it did the past few months while he was gone. Perhaps he also managed to bridge the gap between Bones and Scheifele because there were elements of both philophys on the ice in the ozone tonight. The players had more latitude to work the puck around the ozone and we opened some excellent looks as a result. We also put pucks on target quickly when the moment called for it.

Helle didn't have much to do but was good when called on.

Defense all played pretty well. Snerg continues to progress. I'd feel confident with him taking Dillions role next year. Pionk also had his best game in a while, loved his hustle and he was more active offensively.

Top line got a few which got a couple of guys off the snide. Other then that I thought they were pretty high event both ways. Would like to see a bit better play in their end. I doubt the plan is to leave Mark as wing long term though.

Second line: Ehlers was on fire, excellent game from him. Name is a smart player who compliments him really well. Wheeler worked hard and ended his streak. I would like to see Blake shoot more when he gets the puck in prime spots a bit more. Was quilty of passing off when the right play was to shoot at times.

Third line: Best game Apples has played since he was with us the first time. Lowry was good but his stone hands shone through at times. Nino was a force and good hands on his goal.

Fourth line with a nice energy game.

As mentioned in the gdt I think if we can get our offensive guys going we have the pieces for 3 scoring lines when Cole gets back.

Calgary won again so our margin for error is non existent. We need more efforts like tonight the rest of the way in. We also need to pound them on Wednesday and end their chances.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Probably right but for me at least I’m getting tired of all the analysis of what is wrong with the organization. There will be a long offseason where those discussions will go round and round. For now we are a playoff race and we have a slight edge and we are coming off our best game in over a month. Last night I was at the game and it was probably the most fun I’ve had at a game all season. So for now it’s nice to just be a fan and cheer for your team.
Can't agree more, there will be lots of time to slice and dice the team if we don't make it in, right now i'd rather try and be positive that we will get to have a White-out for the first time in 4 years.:nod:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Can't agree more, there will be lots of time to slice and dice the team if we don't make it in, right now i'd rather try and be positive that we will get to have a White-out for the first time in 4 years.:nod:
I love those couple days between the regular season and playoffs when you’re in. At that point anything seems possible and IMO it is one of the best times to be a fan.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I actually think Name is the key guy on that line and why it looks so effective - the guy is smart and keeps things moving toward the net,
He dishes off these little passes all night and they open up so much ice. Both Ehlers and Wheels are working off him really well

Agreed, it's also why we miss Cole. We need more players who do little less flashy things that drive positive zone exits and keeps the play moving. I hope Chevy can convince Name to stay he'd be the ideal new age 3C we need.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
The win was nice last night. I saw lots of fancy schamanzy play last night. Well that translates well against a tired road team it will not against better teams at this time of year. Let's hope it is the start of better play.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well this is the type of game that gives hope that the first half team is still in there and we can get things on track.

It seems Lauer's absence was a major factor in our skid. Our offensive game and PP looked much different then it did the past few months while he was gone. Perhaps he also managed to bridge the gap between Bones and Scheifele because there were elements of both philophys on the ice in the ozone tonight. The players had more latitude to work the puck around the ozone and we opened some excellent looks as a result. We also put pucks on target quickly when the moment called for it.

Helle didn't have much to do but was good when called on.

Defense all played pretty well. Snerg continues to progress. I'd feel confident with him taking Dillions role next year. Pionk also had his best game in a while, loved his hustle and he was more active offensively.

Top line got a few which got a couple of guys off the snide. Other then that I thought they were pretty high event both ways. Would like to see a bit better play in their end. I doubt the plan is to leave Mark as wing long term though.

Second line: Ehlers was on fire, excellent game from him. Name is a smart player who compliments him really well. Wheeler worked hard and ended his streak. I would like to see Blake shoot more when he gets the puck in prime spots a bit more. Was quilty of passing off when the right play was to shoot at times.

Third line: Best game Apples has played since he was with us the first time. Lowry was good but his stone hands shone through at times. Nino was a force and good hands on his goal.

Fourth line with a nice energy game.

As mentioned in the gdt I think if we can get our offensive guys going we have the pieces for 3 scoring lines when Cole gets back.

Calgary won again so our margin for error is non existent. We need more efforts like tonight the rest of the way in. We also need to pound them on Wednesday and end their chances.
I hope Bones keeps the lines the same down the stretch. Last night was the best line chemistry we have seen in a very long time.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Jets want to finish 8th so they can wrap up every series in the playoffs in game 4's on home ice and win the Cup on home ice in front of us great fans. :naughty:

or they go on a little run...win a game or two, maybe even squeak through to the second round and Chevy (Mark) thinks "Hmmmm...this core? One more season?? They looked pretty good there....hmmmm..."

:laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would feel a whole lot better if Seattle went on a bit of a skid.

Nashville beating Calgary is probably our best hope too.
In many ways Calgary is similar to the Jets. More talented than their record but more than capable of laying a turd at the worst possible time. I’m not giving them any wins until after the games are actually played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad