News Article: Report: Seabrook aiming to return for NHL's 24-team playoffs

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Crow is only disrespected by those that don't watch enough hockey outside of the Hawks. Or, if not a fan of the Hawks, don't watch him period.
IMHO this sums it up. You see a lot of those on a variety of social media platforms and it makes you wonder if they bother looking at what the players are doing when the puck is away from them--or if they bother to just watch hockey in general. It seems a lot of them are stuck 8 years in the past.

When it comes to Seabrook that I think the proof has to be in the pudding. If the 'hawks are trying to win against Edmonton, then they have to ice the 6 best D-men--and if that includes Seabrook once practice starts going again, the good for him. It's not like the 'hawks D is that good to begin with. If he's not, then he shouldn't be jamming a kid up who could use the experience--and it's not like he doesn't have an in-build medical reason to keep him off the ice if needed. The thing is...we won't know until practice starts going fullbore as to whether or not Seabs can keep up.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ Players can easily shed 5 lbs in a single game. That video showed quite clearly that Seabs takes conditioning as seriously as do most pro athletes.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
/\ Players can easily shed 5 lbs in a single game. That video showed quite clearly that Seabs takes conditioning as seriously as do most pro athletes.

That weight comes back....within a couple hours. lol

As HR said, it's nothing more than water weight.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
There have been 10 dmen at voluntary practice. Keith would make 11. I don't think the Hawks are making room for Seabrook unless they can switch him out at a later date? de Haan is there so that says they consider him ready. I feel like if Seabrook was close the team would be tweeting pics of him practicing.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I would think someone who a team invested $56 million dollars in, coming into camp 10-15lbs overweight would be inexcusable. Obviously he’s played a lot of games and his body is wearing down. But he’s a professional athlete who does intense cardio for a living. He can’t show up overweight. It’s unforgivable.

His cap hit has cost us many players and most likely a playoff run or two. Let’s not forget just how many mistakes this guy has made on the ice since 2016. Both from being clearly out of shape, as well as being just flat out lazy. So this “Seabrook gets no respect” crying is ridiculous. That’s some kid-table level nonsense. He’s supposed to be a professional and his conduct has been anything but.

I’ll save the respect for his jersey retirement and when I’m watching him score GWG’s in old Cup-run highlight videos. In the meantime he’s been a $7m waste of cap space who blocks other young players from getting a spot.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
As HR said, it's nothing more than water weight.[/QUOTE]
That weight comes back....within a couple hours. lol

As HR said, it's nothing more than water weight.
True but my point was that the video showed quite clearly that Seabs takes conditioning seriously. As I've said many times before, Seabs has never been fleet of foot - time will tell if the surgeries will be beneficial for him to return to the NHL and if he can't it is a sad thing and nothing to throw jokes at. What amazes me is how Stan gets off the hook. We all knew before it happened that an eight-year term was a huge mistake at that salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvaged Ship

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
...you know what this means boys

upload_2020-7-6_18-36-2.jpeg

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I think the Hawks need to bite the bullet and just buy out Seabrook. Maybe you give him the series vs the Oilers to prove he can still contribute.

100%. Its a sunk cost at this point. If owners extend the CBA and do not go with compliance buyouts this time around then its unlikely to be an option at any other point during Seabrook's deal. Just take the 300k in cap relief next year and give Mitchell his spot...

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Well, excuse me but I am not ready to say that Seabs can't be a bottom pairing Dman on this team ... who can move the puck with a good first pass and play the PP at times.

And as much as everyone wants to bring in inexperienced guys who may not be ready, you can't discount the fact that Seabs is loved by his teammates and is a big presence in the room. I know some love to dismiss the intangibles but they exist.

Last edited:

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Well, excuse me but I am not ready to say that Seabs can't be a bottom pairing Dman on this team ... who can move the puck with a good first pass and play the PP at times.

The problem is if he is only a bottom pair defender, you may as well give those minutes to a young dman who has a potential to be more. And I think that's where this team is headed or else why have guys like Regula as a black ace?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

And as much as everyone wants to bring in inexperienced guys who may not be ready, you can't discount the fact that Seabs is loved by his teammates and is a big presence in the room. I know some love to dismiss the intangibles but they exist.

His first pass is non-existent, because he never has the puck. Seabs was great for the Hawks, but the NHL has passed him by. It sucks, but it is what it is. I've seen enough of him over the last few seasons.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The problem is if he is only a bottom pair defender, you may as well give those minutes to a young dman who has a potential to be more. And I think that's where this team is headed or else why have guys like Regula as a black ace?
Isn't that why we have RFD? The American League is a great training ground for young players, especially for Dmen.
Not many guys in the back end can make the jump to the NHL, and that is a fact. Most guys need not be rushed into playing in the best league in the world. Some will learn fast but don't overmatch these kids by rushing them in when it isn't really appropriate.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Isn't that why we have RFD? The American League is a great training ground for young players, especially for Dmen.
Not many guys in the back end can make the jump to the NHL, and that is a fact. Most guys need not be rushed into playing in the best league in the world. Some will learn fast but don't overmatch these kids by rushing them in when it isn't really appropriate.

And if the young guys are ready but can't get a spot because Seabs has four years on his contract? They won't stay in Rockford forever.

Here's my issue, Seabs played 30ish games and was gawdawful on possession. He had three goals and one assist. I don't take issue with the goals, but one assist is bad.

So his play was bad and he got scratched. Huge drama ensued and he said he didn't understand why he got scratched.

Then he got scratched again and when it looked like he was going to sit for a while he gets a medical opinion and it's revealed he needs three surgeries. Three.

Before that the Hawks repeatedly described the scratch as healthy. Then you have Pat Foley saying oh his shoulder was so bad he couldn't play catch with his young child or whatever.

So why weren't any of these issues dealt with in the offseason, why wasn't a medical opinion sought before he was scratched?

When Seabrook said he was good to play earlier this season it was blatantly untrue and I suspect it's untrue now too but his pride won't let him admit it.

It's just a sad situation where I don't think the player accepts the true state of his play.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

It would take a pretty dramatic improvement for him to even be a decent 3rd pairing guy at this point. He's coming back from 3 major surgeries and he's 35. Its very unlikely that he comes back and is a decent contributor.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
I don't expect Seabs to be able to play to the level that we need him to play. I suspect that he will not beat out any of the other dmen. However, the guy was a warrior for us and deserves to take a shot. The insults and name calling is just childish and uncalled for right now. If he comes back and plays when he obviously shouldn't be playing, then have at it. Till then I feel that people should just hold their tongues. What I think happens is that after a day or two of practice, he decides that he needs more time and will put off the comeback until next season.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I hope he can come back and Play again. Then retire on his own Terms and Timing. Always hate to see it being forced by any Player. That being said, he won't Play a big role here anymore. He was a warrior and he gave his all for over 10 years being one of the main reasons of 3 Cups.

Reactions: BobbyJet

migi

Feb 25, 2015
True but my point was that the video showed quite clearly that Seabs takes conditioning seriously. As I've said many times before, Seabs has never been fleet of foot - time will tell if the surgeries will be beneficial for him to return to the NHL and if he can't it is a sad thing and nothing to throw jokes at. What amazes me is how Stan gets off the hook. We all knew before it happened that an eight-year term was a huge mistake at that salary.

Yeah no one has never give Stan any shit on that. Never.

Why do you have to type that because you know that isnt remotely close to being true? For your agenda?

UK Yote

Jun 28, 2018
Brent Seabrook’s albatross contract will soon be even more problematic for Blackhawks
I'm sure most of you guys saw this article, pretty much stuck with him whichever way you look at it. Its unfair to kick the guy now he is down, he gave a lot to the Organisation and was a very decent player in his day.
Bowman messed up with the contract. I honestly don't know where this is going to end up but Pope calls it an Albatross Contract and on that he is spot on. Personally don't see Seabrook figuring in this farce of a Stanley Cup playoff and if I was him I would be happy to sit it out, safe at home, watching on NBC collecting my huge pay cheque.
Next Season who knows what that will bring. Forget your ego Seabs accept your best is behind you don't make a fool of yourself, leave it to the young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad