News Article: Report: Seabrook aiming to return for NHL's 24-team playoffs

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Via the Athletic, what do you guys think of this Seabrook quote:

“I don’t think I was playing bad,” Seabrook said. “I think I was playing well enough to play the games, and (Colliton) obviously saw something in me that he didn’t like. I’m not going to be too worried about that. I know what I can bring to this team, I know what I can bring to the ice. I still think that I’m one of the best defensemen in this locker room, and if given the chance and given the opportunities that some guys get, then I think I would definitely be able to live up to those expectations and exceed them. I’ve done it my whole career. And a lot of people want to make a lot of my contract and my age, (but) if given the opportunity and feeling like a big part of the team on the ice, you’ll get everything I got. And I got lots left. I got lots left.”

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He seems totally oblivious to how he's been performing.

He did say today that he's had shoulder pain bad enough that he can't sleep on that side and he's had a fair bit of back pain, both over more than 5 years, so you would think he'd admit that him not being close to 100% made him struggle last year.

Instead, he thought he played fine and is electing to blame the coaching staff.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

“I don’t think I was playing bad,” Seabrook said. “I think I was playing well enough to play the games, and (Colliton) obviously saw something in me that he didn’t like. I’m not going to be too worried about that. I know what I can bring to this team, I know what I can bring to the ice. I still think that I’m one of the best defensemen in this locker room, and if given the chance and given the opportunities that some guys get, then I think I would definitely be able to live up to those expectations and exceed them. I’ve done it my whole career. And a lot of people want to make a lot of my contract and my age, (but) if given the opportunity and feeling like a big part of the team on the ice, you’ll get everything I got. And I got lots left. I got lots left.”
He's in denial.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
He's in denial.

He really completely is. It makes me sad, because hes always been a warrior, and continues to push it all to the limit and give it all, but you cant be this oblivious...

This is going to be a problem isnt it... Not the first time hes angling JC either.

This is no good example for the young guys. I hope he comes to terms with things because he could a great vet locker room guy, but you have to accept the facts first.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Was that a recent quote? It sounds very similar to what was said when he was a scratched during the season.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
He seems totally oblivious to how he's been performing.

He did say today that he's had shoulder pain bad enough that he can't sleep on that side and he's had a fair bit of back pain, both over more than 5 years, so you would think he'd admit that him not being close to 100% made him struggle last year.

Instead, he thought he played fine and is electing to blame the coaching staff.
You either go out with grace, or you embarrass yourself because you just can’t go anymore but you refuse to believe otherwise.

Lidstrom and the Sedins went out with grace. Seabrook is not.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

This scares me. I 100% respect him for what he has done and how much of a warrior he is but this is straight delusional.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Sounds like he’s waving that NMC, baby! Wooh!

It cost Toronto a 1st round pick to trade Marleau and his 1-year 6.2 M cap hit. How much do you think it will take for 4 years at 6.8?

I think he will be the 7th dman next season, come to the realization that his playing career is over by the end of the season and then go LTIR for the next 3 seasons.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It's only 4 more seasons with every other contract the Hawks have expiring before then.

Simply keep him and use him as a 7th defender.

We can work with his cap hit.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Can he still just go on LTIR? Is there a danger of forced retirement and losing the remainder of that money?
You can’t force a guy to retire. They can send him to the AHL assuming he has a NTC and not a NMC but that’s a whole different kind of animosity between the organization and the core that doesn’t end well for anybody.

He’s getting his money unless he’s an absolute idiot and agrees to a mutual contract termination with the thinking that he’d get a chance to play somewhere else.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I’d like to see how he does next year following nearly 12 months of rest and training... The quote he had earlier brings a lot of hope he’ll be the Seabrook of old

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I’d like to see how he does next year following nearly 12 months of rest and training... The quote he had earlier brings a lot of hope he’ll be the Seabrook of old
That would be great but I can’t think of a single player that was so mediocre for as long as Seabrook has been getting a surgery and turning back the clock at 35.

It sucks for everyone involved, but I think the guy is just toast.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
We give Seattle our 2021 1st, Alex Vlasic, and Michal Teply as an "incentive" for taking Seabrook in the expansion draft.

A dream come true.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
We give Seattle our 2021 1st, Alex Vlasic, and Michal Teply as an "incentive" for taking Seabrook in the expansion draft.

A dream come true.

Seattle won't do it. They want to compete not take the league's worst contract. Plus Vegas is in a cap crunch and it only took a couple of years. Why would Seattle put themselves in a bind like that? No way they take this contract.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
That would be great but I can’t think of a single player that was so mediocre for as long as Seabrook has been getting a surgery and turning back the clock at 35.

It sucks for everyone involved, but I think the guy is just toast.
Maybe he’s just saying these things in the forecast of compliance buyouts so he can change the optics of whoever might consider him after the fact

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad