Post-Game Talk: Rempire State of Mind

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Watched the game this morning. K'Andre had a dominant night, don't really care what an xG chart said on this one. Pucks weren't getting by him anywhere, and he and Schneider each had some great rushes. Schneider still isn't the most comfortable defenseman in his own corners and struggles with outlets especially, but they'll improve and Key being the Vet on a pairing clearly means something to him.

The third line looks like an instant hit. Not really surprising. They've got room to get more comfortable too. And Roslovic has some great and badly needed skills, even if you could see very clearly and quickly why he's been traded twice. He was clearly a better fit in that spot than anyone else so far.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
We all talk about Mika and how crappy he's been.

But hes a really streaky goal scorer.

Best thing is to see him blow up at the right time. Im not counting on it, but its a possibility.

And yes, you gotta give Jones a ton of credit.

Kid has been working his ass off and waiting and when he gets his chances hes making the best of them.
I want to like this post to pay respect to Jones but don’t want my like to be seen as an endorsement of Mika

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Watched the game this morning. K'Andre had a dominant night, don't really care what an xG chart said on this one. Pucks weren't getting by him anywhere, and he and Schneider each had some great rushes. Schneider still isn't the most comfortable defenseman in his own corners and struggles with outlets especially, but they'll improve and Key being the Vet on a pairing clearly means something to him.
I agree on this take. K'Andre seemed to relish his increased role. And that definitely boosted Schneider's confidence. Schneider is still having problems defending the crease. And I thought that would be one of his strong points. But more often than not he looks lost and out of position defending in front. Maybe I am noticing his errors more than his good D?

St Louis seemed to have packed it in after the first. That late goal at the end of the period, seemed to deflate them. Our opponents get tougher from now on this month. We should get a better read on how well we improved at the TDL, the next couple of days.

It's good our new additions had a very positive experience, before heading into this back to back against division rivals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Lindy

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
At the beginning of the season I was one of the supporters of Jones getting his shot. I'm happy more fans are wanting to see him play for this team now. Hopefully next season he'll get his full time shot.
He's going to replace Gus as the 3LD. The key will be who he is slotted with. Long run this year, hopefully it is Trouba because he should be there now.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
If Trouba was were Schneider is they would want his head. Sorrry but Miller hasn't been great this year either. So many times guys blow right by him for a breakaway. That whole 2nd pairing needs improvement. Wonder if Miller with Fox and someone else with Trouba would be better.
Miller may need help with skating - seems like he is not great at skating backwards & maneuvering/pivoting from there. He doesn't go fast enough/ turn fast enough & people get around him. Otoh he's good at going forward.

I would do the pairs like:

Miller - Fox
Jones - Trouba
Linddgren or Gustaffson - Schneider

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
excited to see what Roslovic can do with more time and practice with K and Z. his speed and puckhandling is very apparent. he also had quite a few down moments, hopefully those go away

Wennberg was an immediate upgrade to the PP and 3rd line. Cuylle and Kakko had 9 shots which I credit a lot to Wennberg's zone entries and passing. He sure as shit doesn't shoot but he enables two decent shooters to shoot more, which is great.

give me a good reason to not buy a matt rempe jersey
Warm weather is coming so it'll be too hot to wear a jersey. Buy his tee shirt instead!

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Wennberg did something I haven't seen Brodzinski or Bonino do all year last night- attempt and complete a backhanded pass. What's more- from the defensive zone.

It's one of those things, like kicking a ball left footed for footballers, that you sometimes see players go out of their way to avoid, even if it means slowing the play down. Was pleased to see he has that confidence.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Wennberg did something I haven't seen Brodzinski or Bonino do all year last night- attempt and complete a backhanded pass. What's more- from the defensive zone.

It's one of those things, like kicking a ball left footed for footballers, that you sometimes see players go out of their way to avoid, even if it means slowing the play down. Was pleased to see he has that confidence.

He’s a legit NHLer. We’ve literally played all year without an NHL 3C

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com

What stuck out to me about Wennberg is where he expected his wingers to be in the neutral zone.

Multiple times he tried a neutral zone pass to a winger who was coasting instead of skating with purpose without the puck.

I'm hopeful he is a good influence and the wingers start skating for his passes rather than the opposite where he stops leading the play and turns into a perimeter player.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Untitl999ed.png

The only thing missing is the biplanes circling overhead trying to shoot him down. LOL!

Last edited:

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
The anti Trouba sentiment is snowballing. Wild shit. The guy is the captain of the team and we all hate him.

Gonna be very interesting to see if Drury has the balls and is able to move him this offseason. That’s a lot of money to play with.
I absolutely do NOT hate Trouba, but I’ve come to hate his contract, and usage. Hahaha.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Roslovic also noticeably took a 'cut' to the near post rather than the far post last night that would have been completely out of character for any of our other right wingers to do.

It was a little on ice awareness thing- back post if he was able to get open would have been a tap in goal, but by cutting near post to a less auspicious area of the ice he simultaneously threw his defenseman off a little bit, earning him some space, but he also left the far end of the ice wide open for a third player to threaten whilst also keeping the goaltender doubly honest to the near post.

Sort of a small thing but adds a slightly different dynamic. I've always thought sometimes brand new players (be they trades or callups) score a little more in the playoffs because the kinds of choices they make aren't as well scouted or predicted by opponents.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
So true. If you watch him it’s very impressive. Silky is the best way to describe him

It isn’t often that he gets knock off the puck anymore, and his vision and newly found skating ability allows him to keep it on his stick and also steal it back.

He’s becoming a master at reading the play and everything he does with a purpose and a confidence. He is really something to watch.

Improving his skating did wonders for him. He plays with a pace and it doesn’t look forced, it’s natural. And that was the one big knock on him coming into the league. He’s figured it out.
Yup. And he’s just scratching the surface. I believe next year he takes another step.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Miller may need help with skating - seems like he is not great at skating backwards & maneuvering/pivoting from there. He doesn't go fast enough/ turn fast enough & people get around him. Otoh he's good at going forward.

I would do the pairs like:

Miller - Fox
Jones - Trouba
Linddgren or Gustaffson - Schneider
I agree with this and thats why I would love to see someone with Trouba who is better defensively. Jones kind of scares me in that role unless Trouba just focuses on defense which I am not sure he will do.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

The third line looks like an instant hit. Not really surprising. They've got room to get more comfortable too. And Roslovic has some great and badly needed skills, even if you could see very clearly and quickly why he's been traded twice. He was clearly a better fit in that spot than anyone else so far.

Roslovic is like one of those round thingies that bounces balls randomly in pin ball machines. You never know what you get, but... a bit of randomness along with speed might be helpful for the wonder twins. They are steady enough defensively to cover for most of Roslovic's controller disconnects.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
These types of posts are so… off-putting
Agree w/you and I don't like it either.
Howev, such posts are the lesser of 2 evils.

Tho most quietly respect my right to my opinion, as I do theirs, I get pilloried by some. These peeps ALSO do have the right to their opinion of my comments, even if same are critical.

Howev, each of us has the obligation to substantiate what we say.

For a while I have been saying develop the system, play da kids.
I specifically have called for Edstrom,, Rempe and Robertson to get signif time.

NO, said the win now crowd, no, etc etc
bern can't possibly be right b'c --- bern

Now that it is being proven I was right, and the conventional wisdom was wrong, it is fair to ask we remember who was ahead of the curve.
That's not unreasonable

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
And they have the opposite effect that posters intend. For me at least.

It makes them look like they're rarely right. Somebody who is often right, doesn't feel the need to announce to the world when they are.
You would think the bold

But others who want to insist on a given narrative may deny you credit where credit is actually, legitimately due

In such instances you either allow them to control or you confront

like I said, lesser of 2 evils

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You would think the bold

But others who want to insist on a given narrative may deny you credit where credit is actually, legitimately due

In such instances you either allow them to control or you confront

like I said, lesser of 2 evils

Another delusiinal post by bernmeister.

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
Love what Wennberg brings to the 3rd line and think they will be very effective in the playoffs cycling and doing damage down low. Thought Roslovic brought much needed speed and puck carrying ability to Mika's line and think he will be a nice addition.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
excited to see what Roslovic can do with more time and practice with K and Z. his speed and puckhandling is very apparent. he also had quite a few down moments, hopefully those go away

Wennberg was an immediate upgrade to the PP and 3rd line. Cuylle and Kakko had 9 shots which I credit a lot to Wennberg's zone entries and passing. He sure as shit doesn't shoot but he enables two decent shooters to shoot more, which is great.

give me a good reason to not buy a matt rempe jersey
Money.

That’s the list

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, the Blues are a case study into why it might makes sense to not take for granted finishing high in the standings and not hoarding picks and going for it if you can intelligently. Two seasons ago they were one of the best teams in the league. Last two seasons they were hot garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad