Remembering E-town Bars that are no-more

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Forgot about Loonies and Barry T's

I remember there was large country bar just outside of the city that when it first opened up was very popular. The problem was of course, everyone getting shit faced and driving home and well crashing or other stuff. I remember one of ex girlfriends who worked there said one of the owners was someone with pool and they did not get into too much trouble---but it changed ownership and that is when they trouble started for the place
Was this the one on the west end?

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Just thinking about all the memories in these places. Good times and bad times. Is that after hours club The Y still around? Been there way too many times lol.
I remember going to The Y back in high school where my buddy was doing his business there. :naughty:

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Escape
Rum Jungle
Globe(Rockstars)
Union
Iron Horse
The Bank
Inferno(southside?)
On The Rocks(was thinking of this place 2 weeks ago)

I didn't realize how old this thread was.. sheesh.

Last edited:

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
I think it was this order:

Goose Loonies
Thunderdome
Inferno
Tonic

???
Some of the more knowledgeable posters would know... I wasn't able to keep track of names.

We spent more time in the West, Downtown area, and also Whyte Ave.

I would have been about 17, maybe 18 when it was called Inferno.

Myride

Mar 4, 2016
Edmonton
Older Bars? Then mentions places like H2O. 90's bars, Rough bars?!

You younger guppies ain't seen nothing.

Try oldtime places like the Klondiker, Saxony, Commercial, Cromdale, Yellowhead, Highway Motor Inn, Forum Inn, Ambassador, Corona, Vega on for size.

Whyte Ave as well used to be a different place as well before the 80's hit. It was far greasier and lots of Al Bundy type bars. nod. wink.

"Oldtime"......now THOSE were good times...have to add Beverly Crest to that list though...;-)

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Slumming at Santana nightclub was always fun. The same damn songs played every time you walked into the club. And my personal favorite.Side Track, is always a great time. and Overtime was fun to

OddManRush

Mar 22, 2022
What's sad is that so many of these places mentioned were at WEM. You look now and there are zero "club" type establishments at the mall. Bourbon Street is fine but it gets old after awhile. It also sucks for west end kids that have to go all the way to Whyte or downtown to get after it.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
What's sad is that so many of these places mentioned were at WEM. You look now and there are zero "club" type establishments at the mall. Bourbon Street is fine but it gets old after awhile. It also sucks for west end kids that have to go all the way to Whyte or downtown to get after it.

Even the last remaining one at WEM, Halley's Club, hasn't re-opened since the start of the pandemic.

One too many incidents at the places it did have, as well as Rock N Ride at Galaxyland, probably caused them to panic.

You'll notice they haven't taken a financial risk in WEM since maybe the early 2010s with the opening of the upside-down waterslide. Everything since is how can we make the mall more boring and less special.

Maybe the closing of the Mindbender is their first risk since.

Reactions: OddManRush

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Denny Andrew's then Cowboys

Overtime was a fun place
It was clicky, but I always had a blast in a relaxed way. I still recall Blue Rodeo playing at the Sidetrack and me and my wife dancing for the first time and our first kiss.

Reactions: Myride

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Davids. It was Davids. Postive of that one. it was on Argyll though afairc.

Somebody mentions it in this link and others. Interesting article and comments that fit this thread. So many establishments listed.

Christophers was a quiet spot that got some Oilers in there too. Semenko used to live here on the southside and the club followed him around a lot.
8407 Argyll Road. Alberta College of Optometrists is there now. I don't know why we were there one day but Dave Lumley was there at that time.

I don't recall seeing The Riv Rock Room mentioned in here but they used to have live bands and saw English band '999' there.

Saw The Ramones at the Convention Inn South (The Delta Hotel) off the Whitemud.

Also There was Club John's on the Fort Road (where Bartle and Gibson is) that had a great stage and live music.

Reactions: Myride

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I remember the Executive downtown. Usually had some kick ass bands back in the day.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
Red Baron at Meadowlark Mall was a place I grew up in. No bands, nothing notable, just a tiny little dive in the mall alleyway. Watched a lot of Oilers games in that place, and can’t remember a single one of them.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
If you go way, way back to the 60s, there was a Bermuda Triangle (+1) for serious drinking in edmonton. The Kingsway / Corona/ Riveira / Roslyn.
Each bar was large enough to be considered a municipality especially on weekends. And growlers were bar maids before you tipped them.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Red Baron at Meadowlark Mall was a place I grew up in. No bands, nothing notable, just a tiny little dive in the mall alleyway. Watched a lot of Oilers games in that place, and can’t remember a single one of them.
Now there's a name from the past i totally forgot about

Reactions: Kinibo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad