Remembering E-town Bars that are no-more

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don’t remember that one having a name. I think it was just The Forum?

Forum Inn?

In 84 there was a picture in the Sun of the boys with the Stanley Cup and an 'employee' of said establishment with all her naughty bits hidden behind the Cup.

Man times have changed.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
People's pub!! now that one takes me back. I remember Nickleback playing there.

Rainbow Butt Monkeys opening for Sven Gali before they became Finger 11 and Sven Gali disappeared was a fun memory as they blew them off the stage. Lots of other great upstart Canadian bands played there.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
People's pub!! now that one takes me back. I remember Nickleback playing there.

Yeah...really liked the live music venues. Saw some interesting bands in Peoples Pub and elsewhere.

I go back far enough to remember a cover band called Click that used to play the Rex all the time...great band!

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Senor Frog's on 109th downtown, Club Malibu: The Morgue just off Whyte, Barry Ts... All memories (in retrospect, what happened there is pretty appalling by today's standards).

When I moved away, there was a new bar that opened up just south of Whyte on Calgary Trail North on the east side - what was it called?

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
Had a beer with Iggy & some of his buddies on the patio at the I-ho one evening back in the early 2000's.

Last edited:

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Bet people miss watching drunkasses fall down the curved stairs of Iron Horse. lol. Always an adventure since the washrooms were upstairs.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
The old boys on the bus had a lot of drinking/drug issues. Pretty sure they had more than one establishment. They use to frequent the forum as well

for sure. I think the Boiler Lounge, on the Boardwalk, was another one.

the Boiler Lounge was another one I miss.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
this idea started with a question I have for older E-town posters.

I was talking with a dude from Richie area, remembering bars like the Purple Onion, Pig n Whistle, H2O.

There used to be a rough local bar, more in the tavern style, on the corner of 99th and Whyte. there is now a newer strip mall there with a Mac's an a Liquor Depot.

Can anyone help me out with this bar? It was pretty rough; rougher than H2O.

And there was another Biker bar on 99th. more south, towards Argylle. an old Hotel. Not the Ambassador (that was downtown) but like it . Comadore, maybe? Columbus?

I still miss the P.O. though. before they expanded it with the Bamboo Restaurant. it was an institution.

I remember Garfields, which became Club Malibu. Right north of Whyte.

Corona Station, Barry T's

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I haven't read every page, but wasn't there a regular bar/restaurant the dynasty Oilers used to visit routinely in the south side? 97th street area or so. North of 34 ave? I remember reading about it in the paper.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Almost 38 so what do I remember. . .

Halo on Jasper was cool. They did have some techno nights which was my jam.

Decadance/Twilight Afterhours is something I miss. Catching a surprise 3½ Chris Liberator set there. Also one of the few places that would play gabber and hardcore.

New City I miss. Caught Combichrist and Front Line Assembly there. Bummed that I missed an Aphex Twin show there.

Escape was kind of lame. Not my kind of place to frequent though I did go there for a few shows.

Backroom Vodka Bar would sometimes have jungle/dnb nights that was nice.

I haven't read every page, but wasn't there a regular bar/restaurant the dynasty Oilers used to visit routinely in the south side? 97th street area or so. North of 34 ave? I remember reading about it in the paper.
Perhaps where Ferguson's is now? Or rather, that is north of Whitemud on 97th.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Davids. It was Davids. Postive of that one. it was on Argyll though afairc.

Somebody mentions it in this link and others. Interesting article and comments that fit this thread. So many establishments listed.

Christophers was a quiet spot that got some Oilers in there too. Semenko used to live here on the southside and the club followed him around a lot.

Reactions: guymez

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I have an affinity for things like this. Don't know why lol. Even looking up where Gretzky lived. I read he lived in the Arcadia condo building after he used to live on Whyte Ave

I always wonder where these guys lived or what restaurants they went to etc

I think I have driven by Peter pucks old mansion. All red brick or so. Had a big guest house on the property.

Lots of nice houses up where Katz and Connor live

The Hughes car wash gas guy lives or lived up there too. Orange u shaped house with gargoyles decorating the roofs lol

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Somebody mentions it in this link and others. Interesting article and comments that fit this thread. So many establishments listed.

Christophers was a quiet spot that got some Oilers in there too. Semenko used to live here on the southside and the club followed him around a lot.
I can confirm all of this. :nod:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I'm an 80's early 90's guy. These are places form my time and slightly before.
A couple closed before I could get into them.

Rock City
Limelight
dancing shoes
goose loonies
Franklin's rockies lounge
going to capilano motor Inn
The Rex hotel
going to Rusty's
Greenhouse bar on fort road
Tin lizzies
crackerjacks downtown
remember Scandals?
Flashback
Sidetrack Café
Boiler room

lots more that I can't remember.
This is my era. Rex, CI South, Goose Loonies, Barry T, etc.

the commercial.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is my era. Rex, CI South, Goose Loonies, Barry T, etc.

the commercial.
Forgot about Loonies and Barry T's

I remember there was large country bar just outside of the city that when it first opened up was very popular. The problem was of course, everyone getting shit faced and driving home and well crashing or other stuff. I remember one of ex girlfriends who worked there said one of the owners was someone with pool and they did not get into too much trouble---but it changed ownership and that is when they trouble started for the place

Reactions: gordonhught

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->