Relocation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hickory

Brindfan said:
The craziest suggestion is Las Vegas. Huh? It's a small city in the desert where people care only about gambling.

Las Vegas' population is now over 1.1 million. Only a small percentage of the population gambles. Most gamblers are tourists. It is a sports starved town. NASCAR, NFR, and UNLV sports are well supported. NHL pre-season games held in Vegas, have always sold out.
Vegas' population is now close to 2 million

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Can we get a link to actual number of the top 100-200 markets in North America? (if not for my open purposes just because i like looking at lists like that)

Slapshot17

Aug 29, 2004
Prince George
The problem with Hamilton getting a team is not the leafs, when Edmonton wanted to move there, the leafs were going to take the payoff, but it's with Buffalo. Many of the people that watch Sabres games drive down the QEW and over the bridge to see them. I have many friends from St. Catherines who are huge Sabres fans. Best bet would be to move Buffalo to Hamilton, then there is no problem.

I do believe Mississauga could house a team that wouldn't affect either the leafs or sabres. They would just need to build a big enough rink because the Hershey centre is too small.

Would like to see the Jets get another team although a 15000 seat arena does seem small, it would draw more fans than many of the Smaller American markets that barely draw 11000 or 12000 fans per game. It could be made to work if the right CBA was in place. It would be nice for Quebec city to get a team back too.

I also think Portland, Kansas City, and Las Vegas are great untapped markets for hockey.

jb**

Jaded-Fan said:
A more interesting question to me. Assume the following:

1. CBA resolved.
2. New Arena deal.

Many owners, including maybe Mario I would think who only took over the team as otherwise the bankruptcy court would have given him almost $0 on the $30 million remaining on his contract, are looking to get out once franchise values rise.

Mark Cuban, who was born in Pittsburgh and was one of the suitors for the Pens when they went into bankruptcy, though I am not sure how serious a suitor he was, and now is openly coveting a franchise. I wonder if he could end up owning the Pens in a couple of years.
He would not buy a team that supposedly loses money every year, not his mo.There is not much upward mobility in the NHL for his taste imo. I don't see where he has openly talked about owning an NHL team, however I could have missed that.

Old Hickory

Slapshot17 said:
What about the biggest market in North America? Mexico City.
NY,LA and Chicago are bigger markets than Mexico City

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
kingsjohn said:

Mexico City is the largest city in the Western Hemisphere

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
kingsjohn said:
Vegas' population is now close to 2 million
Vegas is big....and getting bigger. Henderson, NV (for those of you who don't know, starts at the egde of the strip, near the aiport (think Mandalay Bay), and runs SouthWest) is growing at an unbeleivable rate...

....Vegas is also actively recruiting professionals such as myself. Henceforth, I will most likely be there as of June 1st.

....A good sign of growth? Property values rose 47% over the past year. They can't build houses fast enough to accomodate everyone.

....As said before....and I talked to Vegas residents when I was there this past week....most residents avoid the strip, and they desperately want a pro sports team.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
How is Orlando a larger TV market than St. Louis? Do people in St. Louis live without TV's or something?
Because it is not done the same way as the US Census Bureau. According to the Census bureau, I live in the 7th largest city in the US.......But over half the population is considered the LA market, even though they are 15 miles from Downtown San Diego, and 70 miles from LA.

Look at San Francisco...It is the 3rd largest city in California, but San Jose and Oakland are taken into account........That's 3 cities on 1....Getting from SJ to SF takes an incredibly long time.

....Another example...DC and Baltimore are listed together. Yes, they are close, but not exactly a stone's throw away.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
i believe nevada has been the state with the biggest population growth for 17 straight years now, or something like that. it might be a good market.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
craig1 said:
Look at San Francisco...It is the 3rd largest city in California, but San Jose and Oakland are taken into account........That's 3 cities on 1....Getting from SJ to SF takes an incredibly long time.

Actually San Jose (900K) is bigger than SF (750K) - it passed SF several years ago.

Most people don't realize San Jose is actually the 10th largest city in the US - it recently moved past Detroit into the top 10.

Anthony*

stadium to stadium would probably take longer yea

it took me 45 minutes the other day from sjc to sfo(airport to airport)

Slapshot17

Aug 29, 2004
Prince George
kingsjohn said:

Mexico City is the largest North American City followed by New York City, and Toronto, L.A., and Chicago. Although if you look at the Metropolitain area (suburbs included) then New York is just a bit bigger than Mexico City.

All of those cities have a team except for one. (Although I don't really believe Mexico City would actually support a team)

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Once the new CBA is set up and if the league doesnt' have to fold any franchises I'm sure they will still come to a situation where they might need to move a franchise.

If they need to move it I'd think the following cities would be good choices from a fan's perspective:

1. Seattle - I live near Vancouver and obviously love the Canucks but there really is no geographical rivalry for our team like so many other teams get to have. Calgary has Edmonton and Toronto has Ottawa but the closest NHL team to the Canucks is probably the Avalanche or Flames, which is no quick day trip. So because of that I would love to see a team in Seattle which could potentially create one of the better rivalrys in sports around.

2. Winnipeg - I actually might put it as my first but just don't expect it to happen because of the MTS Arena's capacity and the NHL's desire to no loose any American teams. I would love to see Winnipeg have a team again because those fans deserve it.

3. Las Vegas - Road trip!

4. Kansas City or Portland or Millawaki. (Portland probably #1 choice of these 3)

5. Quebec City

6. Another city in Ontario.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Can't just up and move...

I know a lot of people here talk about the teams in the south moving, but I can't see it happening.

The teams down there have pretty tight leases with the Gaylord Entertainment Center, Office Depot Center, RBC Center, Arrowhead Pond, Phillips Arena, etc. Most of these arenas were paid for with Public Funds, so I doubt the city would have built these rinks without an iron clad lease with the NHL clubs.

I recall that the Whalers paid something in the neighbourhood of 20 odd million to get out of their lease in Hartford.

I can't imagine any of the teams in the south paying that kind of number to get out. A new arena is probably going to cost them bundles to get out of a lease.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I think Las Vegas is a great market. That place is starving for a pro team of any sort and I think they'd back whatever they get. Plus, it is a tourist, entertianment based town. What better thing to add to all the attractions there than a pro sports team?

The gambling excuse is so freaking weak, not to mention completely paranoid.

#1 - NO ONE gambles on hockey (or baseball for that matter). At least not in large enough numbers to be a problem. The NFL or NBA would be of more concern.

#2 - Gambling, as we all know, is legal in Vegas. Why worry about it?

#3 - I don't buy, for one minute, that there are nefarious forces biding their time for Vegas to get sports team that they can infiltrate and corupt. Certainly not an NHL team.

I also like the suggestions of KC and Portland.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tb0ne said:
1. Seattle - I live near Vancouver and obviously love the Canucks but there really is no geographical rivalry for our team like so many other teams get to have. Calgary has Edmonton and Toronto has Ottawa but the closest NHL team to the Canucks is probably the Avalanche or Flames, which is no quick day trip. So because of that I would love to see a team in Seattle which could potentially create one of the better rivalrys in sports around.

They don't have an arena suited for hockey. Key Arena is a basketball only venue even though the WHL team plays there, but that's the WHL and not the NHL.

Kansas City is building a new, state of the art arena, without even having a major tenant. They wouldn't do this unless they had serious money to support a team. They are my first choice. They're the only market that's going to have a new arena already in the works (although Portland already has an arena, so does Houston). Everyone else has to build an arena.

If Las Vegas is as desperate as people say they are to get a team, they would put a lot of their own money into building an arena, and hockey market or not, that's a big deal.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Houston and Oklahoma City were the finalists in the last round of expansion who were not awarded franchises. Is it fair to assume they would likely court potential relocating teams? Plus, the league would have prior knowledge of those cities' plans, etc. Of course, this was 8-9 years ago.
Kansas City seems serious, and logical. Portland and Hamilton, too. Found a Bettman quote that said Hamilton's last expansion bid package didn't include an owner, main reason it didn't make finalists.
You've got to have political and corporate commitment, plus some sort of up front committment by potential PSL/ticket-holders.

Given all this, I don't think the league has as much say in relocation as expansion. Does this sound right? I mean, an individual owner might pursue suitors for his team that might not be on the NHL's list of target cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad