Confirmed with Link: Reimer to San Jose - Stalock+Smith+conditional 4th for Reimer+Morin

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
An additional 10-20 games really isn't the difference between an NHL starter--or a backup, for that matter--and not a hockey player in America.

Not for a starter, no but that was never really the point being made that you want to mock. It was that if you ever expect a goalie to get better, he needs to play. He would have improved if he played more.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was never that big on him. Even in the AHL he posted "meh" #'s.

IMO Stalock had low-end starter potential before his injury. I feel really bad for the guy, but I think his injury really derailed what could have been a solid NHL career. I'll continue to root for him wherever he plays next season, whether that's Europe or the AHL.

Reimer has been phenomenal. Don't get me wrong, I love Jones and I have no problem with that trade, but I think Reimer should have been the guy we went after jn the first place. I wish we could sign him this off-season and roll with a high-end Reimer-Jones tandem, but Calgary needs a starter and Reimer makes sense for them. I just hope for Reimer's sake he gets a offer for a starter's position somewhere else. The Sharks are an excellent team at limiting the quality of shots/scoring chances that the goaltender has to face, so thats certainly something to consider (and tbh it's something I worry about with Jones). But regardless, I love Reimer.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Like I've said before, I am pretty sure Reimer will have SOMEONE offer him a starter's job this offseason. I expect it's likely he'd take one were it offered to him. So, much as I would also love to run with a Jones/Reimer tandem next season, it's probably unlikely.

The main reason I could see him not doing so is if he didn't like the team he'd have to be playing behind. He just got out from being the unappreciated backstop behind a terrible team in a media fishbowl, I can't imagine he's fired up and eager to go right back to that kind of environment. I kind of get the impression he's really enjoying having a quality team and D-core in front of him for what is basically the first time in his career.

So, if he gets an offer from Calgary or Carolina, he might turn them down if he doesn't think the teams will be competitive. I have no idea what teams will be needing a starting goalie in 2017, but if there's a good team that will need someone then, I could definitely see Reimer taking a 1 year deal to stay with us, and then signing somewhere good as a starter in the 2017 offseason.

As for Stalock, I don't think anyone is disputing that playing a lot might well translate to improvement in play. However, improvement doesn't mean he'd actually reach the level of a quality NHL starter. Or even a quality backup. He wasn't even playing at an AHL backup level, so even if he improved a fair bit, he'd still be bad for the NHL team. On top of that, how many more losses would we have had if we were starting him regularly as we waited for him to show improvements? I think it's very likely we'd be outside the playoffs right now if we'd tried to play Stalock for 20+ games this season, even if he did start improving. Obviously, the Marlies didn't even see enough potential or promise there to keep him around the team. I feel bad for the guy, he seemed like a great teammate, and he had that tragic injury, but his career in North America is absolutely done. Deservedly.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Barring my pipedream of him signing here for cheap, I think I'd like him to go to Carolina cuz I really like a lot of what that team's doing right now. Great young defense and I love me some Jordan Staal, Lindholm, and Rask. I have no real reason to like them but I just do.

I'd hate to see him get shelled in Calgary.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think James will avoid Canada after the bs he dealt with in Toronto. One thing that hurts him is that his durability is a definite question mark so he may not get a huge contract. He's never started 40 games in a season.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Barring my pipedream of him signing here for cheap, I think I'd like him to go to Carolina cuz I really like a lot of what that team's doing right now. Great young defense and I love me some Jordan Staal, Lindholm, and Rask. I have no real reason to like them but I just do.

I'd hate to see him get shelled in Calgary.

I agree, he might get shelled in Calgary. I like Reimer and hope he finds a good spot to land. Might be a good option for him to stay here another year on a cheap contract and fluff his stats and find some more options.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Like I've said before, I am pretty sure Reimer will have SOMEONE offer him a starter's job this offseason. I expect it's likely he'd take one were it offered to him. So, much as I would also love to run with a Jones/Reimer tandem next season, it's probably unlikely.

The main reason I could see him not doing so is if he didn't like the team he'd have to be playing behind. He just got out from being the unappreciated backstop behind a terrible team in a media fishbowl, I can't imagine he's fired up and eager to go right back to that kind of environment. I kind of get the impression he's really enjoying having a quality team and D-core in front of him for what is basically the first time in his career.

So, if he gets an offer from Calgary or Carolina, he might turn them down if he doesn't think the teams will be competitive. I have no idea what teams will be needing a starting goalie in 2017, but if there's a good team that will need someone then, I could definitely see Reimer taking a 1 year deal to stay with us, and then signing somewhere good as a starter in the 2017 offseason.

As for Stalock, I don't think anyone is disputing that playing a lot might well translate to improvement in play. However, improvement doesn't mean he'd actually reach the level of a quality NHL starter. Or even a quality backup. He wasn't even playing at an AHL backup level, so even if he improved a fair bit, he'd still be bad for the NHL team. On top of that, how many more losses would we have had if we were starting him regularly as we waited for him to show improvements? I think it's very likely we'd be outside the playoffs right now if we'd tried to play Stalock for 20+ games this season, even if he did start improving. Obviously, the Marlies didn't even see enough potential or promise there to keep him around the team. I feel bad for the guy, he seemed like a great teammate, and he had that tragic injury, but his career in North America is absolutely done. Deservedly.

A goalie (Stalock) should know by the time he gets to the nhl level that you NEVER turn and face your own net when the play is going on. He shouldn't need more playing time to teach him that.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Too bad Stalock was cut. I was hoping he would get back to backup NHL status.
Smith was also cut by the Leafs, I think. So trading with Toronto has been great for the Sharks.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think Buffalo should go hard after him. Most improved team this year and with a guy like Reimer in net, they aren't far away from a playoff spot.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think Buffalo should go hard after him. Most improved team this year and with a guy like Reimer in net, they aren't far away from a playoff spot.

I doubt they will with Lehner there. They will probably give him another shot next season since this one began so badly for him with that ankle injury he got in game 1.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
3rd round pick for a goaltender that got barely more than a period's worth of playoff action?!:sarcasm:

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
What the hell DW. First you trade an unprotected 1st for a starting goalie then spend a 3rd for a better goalie that doesn't even play? That 1st could have been Mathews. :rant:

Do I need to say /s?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I think James will avoid Canada after the bs he dealt with in Toronto. One thing that hurts him is that his durability is a definite question mark so he may not get a huge contract. He's never started 40 games in a season.

Durability was a big question for Martin Jones at the beginning of this year. Every hockey writer and TV analyst was lamenting over that false point. I would have thought we've learned not to do that any more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad