Post-Game Talk: Reigning Stanley Cup Champions @ Blackhawks 12:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
:rolleyes:

Fine. Be miserable if you prefer. It's a bad stretch. They'll be fine.

And if they aren't fine, then at least they won a Cup. Some of my fav players Ovie, Backstrom, Holtby got to raise the Cup and one day they can retire having accomplished something that many many NHL'ers never get to do.

I need to remember this when things aren't going well. It's all too easy to forget and just think the worst.

Then again if the Pens won another one I would probably choke to death on my own bile...

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Garbage team but 2 assists from Burakovsky. Exactly my point. Huge huge mistake to sell him low. He has talent

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
A loss is a loss but this one was more about lack of composure than lack of desire. Players trying to do a bit too much, ending up out of position defensively. Goalies didn't come to the rescue.

All in all, this is not a bad thing. Winning ways start with compete level and that level has been low for a little while now. That wasn't really an issue this game.

A couple huge games coming up and I expect us to get back on track,

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I don’t disagree that much of last year was hideous for the caps and they still won the cup, but I’m concerned the reasons for struggles last year might be different to this year.

For most of last season we had 3 top-4 guys and 3 #6Ds. We got exposed a bit because of that, but mostly it was the generally beast play of Nisky, Carlson and Orlov that saved us until Kempny was added and settled in. This year? Orpik’s another year and another injury older, Nisky looks a little slower and like he’s out of sync, and Orlov’s regressed to closer to 2016 form. Carlson and Kempny have been our only consistently good pair. Last year the problems were in part resolved by adding Kempny and playing an even more sheltered, rested Djoos on the third pair. Adding isn’t going to make Orlov or Niskanen better - we won’t be replacing any of the guys in our top five - so the solution will have to come from within this time. Keep in mind too that when Djoos returns, it’ll be difficult to keep Siegenthaler up unless someone’s traded or a forward (Jaskin) is waived, because there will be neither the roster spot or cap space.

Holtby had one of his worst seasons in the NHL, and by March was evidently a big part of why the caps were losing. Stepping him down and working on issues with Murray and Korn saved the season, but Korn is no longer here and that was only possible anyway because we had a starter-quality backup who could carry the Caps for a month. Copley is playing like an NHL-quality backup, but he isn’t an underworked starter like Grubauer was, and isn’t able to consistently string together wins game after game. With the metro so tight, we can’t afford to lose half our games in March at present and still make the playoffs, which means Holts will have to play the whole season and won’t benefit from being physically and mentally rested come playoff time.

Most importantly, we had a lot of guys stepping up last year with things to prove. Wilson, Djoos, Bowey, Stephenson and Vrana were all pushed to the max, while Eller had a career year and we found strong top-six combos by the end of the year. But it was also a gradual process of roster improvement - we injected speedy, motivated youth into the lineup over the course of the year to fill the last remaining holes. They weren’t in the lineup from day one. Other than Siegenthaler, our roster has so far been consistent all year - there haven’t been any Aaron Ness, Graovacs or Walkers to push out, and equally no mid-season call-ups/ additions to bolster the lineup. Instead, we’ve relied on guys like Stephenson all year, and whether he’s in the lineup or not his NHL roster place is secure. So we’ve instead ended up with a less motivated/determined player who isn’t being pushed to the max. We played Stephenson and Eller in the top six for parts of the playoffs and didn’t miss a beat - this year they’re average 4th and 3rd liners respectively, but are barely performing well in those limited roles. We’ve pretty much already graduated our NHL-ready call-ups.

So yes, the team might be complacent as a whole, but we also have greater complacency from individual players who have far less to prove this year than before, and few guys in the system to challenge for roster spots. I’m worried that coaching can only correct this to an extent - the personal motivations (contract years, the threat of being stuck in Hershey etc.) are just as important. We need to add depth pieces, and don’t currently have the room to do so.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Rewatching highlights right now. Orlov was so f***ing bad. Can't say that It surprises me at all, he's one of the most prone to being embarrassed 1 on 1 defensemen in the league but against the worst team in the league... That's something. Bowey should never ever get a sweater again for this team. Every time he's with the puck in the d-zone I expect a turnover and that happens at least 50% of the time. They have Priskie and Johansen coming next season, 22 should be on a trade block. Kuzy...I don't know, he's the key to teams offense. His effort last night was flatout pathetic. Reirden needs to do whatever it takes to wake him up. If he needs to be benched then be it. Copley is horrific lately. I don't know why but right after Holtby's injury he looks like he has no business being in the NHL. With that shitty performance by the team yesterday, they still could have won if they got a timely save once in a while. It felt that they played without a goalie.

On a positive side, I liked Jaskin very much. And actually liked Boyd too, he set that Niskanen goal up very nice. They both need to be in the lineup on a day to day basis. Guys are hustling and have good hands, they getting things going on that bottom-6.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Rewatching highlights right now. Orlov was so ****ing bad. Can't say that It surprises me at all, he's one of the most prone to being embarrassed 1 on 1 defensemen in the league but against the worst team in the league... That's something. Bowey should never ever get a sweater again for this team. Every time he's with the puck in the d-zone I expect a turnover and that happens at least 50% of the time. They have Priskie and Johansen coming next season, 22 should be on a trade block. Kuzy...I don't know, he's the key to teams offense. His effort last night was flatout pathetic. Reirden needs to do whatever it takes to wake him up. If he needs to be benched then be it. Copley is horrific lately. I don't know why but right after Holtby's injury he looks like he has no business being in the NHL. With that ****ty performance by the team yesterday, they still could have won if they got a timely save once in a while. It felt that they played without a goalie.

On a positive side, I liked Jaskin very much. And actually liked Boyd too, he set that Niskanen goal up very nice. They both need to be in the lineup on a day to day basis. Guys are hustling and have good hands, they getting things going on that bottom-6.
I dont think Johansen will be with the for awhile. His development has been slower than expected. Some if that is due to injuries. I think Hobbs willnget called up before him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Rewatching highlights right now. Orlov was so ****ing bad. Can't say that It surprises me at all, he's one of the most prone to being embarrassed 1 on 1 defensemen in the league but against the worst team in the league... That's something. Bowey should never ever get a sweater again for this team. Every time he's with the puck in the d-zone I expect a turnover and that happens at least 50% of the time. They have Priskie and Johansen coming next season, 22 should be on a trade block. Kuzy...I don't know, he's the key to teams offense. His effort last night was flatout pathetic. Reirden needs to do whatever it takes to wake him up. If he needs to be benched then be it. Copley is horrific lately. I don't know why but right after Holtby's injury he looks like he has no business being in the NHL. With that ****ty performance by the team yesterday, they still could have won if they got a timely save once in a while. It felt that they played without a goalie.

I love the little tank, but Orlov doesn’t seem like the sharpest guy on the ice, ever....

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I dont think Johansen will be with the for awhile. His development has been slower than expected. Some if that is due to injuries. I think Hobbs willnget called up before him.
I think Johansen is right there in the mix and players of Bowey's caliber should not be on the roster next season. The guy is freakin 24 years old already and gets pick-pocketed by fast teams like a donkey.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
orlovs play this season alone makes me wish to have trotz. one player cant just lose his ability from one year to the next. otherwise i could care less if reirden is the hc or not... its just what good does his tactical exp bring to the team if orlov cant be trusted... imagine him getting walked in the playoffs like that... he will reach scapegoat levels above semin.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
orlovs play this season alone makes me wish to have trotz. one player cant just lose his ability from one year to the next. otherwise i could care less if reirden is the hc or not... its just what good does his tactical exp bring to the team if orlov cant be trusted... imagine him getting walked in the playoffs like that... he will reach scapegoat levels above semin.
I wouldn't say he got walked on that play. He had ample opportunity to knock the puck away or even turn the other direction, he inexplicably whiffed trying go make a fancy play.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think Johansen is right there in the mix and players of Bowey's caliber should not be on the roster next season. The guy is freakin 24 years old already and gets pick-pocketed by fast teams like a donkey.
Bowey has had his issues but isn't playing any worse than the veterans in the team.
And I dont think Johansen is close to being ready.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Not for nothing but a lot of really good teams suck right now. That's why the Caps playing like trash hasn't moved the needle much in terms of the standings.

Parity in the NHL is a real thing.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad