Post-Game Talk: Reigning Stanley Cup Champions @ Blackhawks 12:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So now you're saying the players are responsible for the losing streak and not the coach. Which is it? Stick to a narrative buddy. You've got fellow fans to annoy.
I'm saying the players aren't playing with structure. Its not one player its everyone. And yes I believe it is a coaching problem.
I guess when I said I'm not sure what happened to the Orlov/Niskanen pairing this season after having a couple good seasons together, it went way over your head. Think about it. What has changed this year that may have affected their play? I'll spell it out for you. Coaching changed.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
I'm saying the players aren't playing with structure. Its not one player its everyone. And yes I believe it is a coaching problem.
I guess when I said I'm not sure what happened to the Orlov/Niskanen pairing this season after having a couple good seasons together, it went way over your head. Think about it. What has changed this year that may have affected their play? I'll spell it out for you. Coaching changed.
I might buy this if Rierden wasn’t the coach responsible for defense the last few years.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

Over my head? No it didn't. Just making sure you keep on message. Every mad scientist needs a handler and I would volunteer for such a role if it paid well and included therapy.

Actually Reirdon was here last year and many gave credit to him for turning this team around.

So look at the quotes coming out of the locker room today. Players owning up for being complacent etc. Sure, Reirdon made some decisions I haven't liked, but same with turtling Trotz. How many games did we lose because of the turtle? More than 5 I bet.

The Isles board is calling...get out there and be somebody!

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Over my head? No it didn't. Just making sure you keep on message. Every mad scientist needs a handler and I would volunteer for such a role if it paid well and included therapy.

Actually Reirdon was here last year and many gave credit to him for turning this team around.

So look at the quotes coming out of the locker room today. Players owning up for being complacent etc. Sure, Reirdon made some decisions I haven't liked, but same with turtling Trotz. How many games did we lose because of the turtle? More than 5 I bet.

The Isles board is calling...get out there and be somebody!
I watched all of those games last year and we didnt lose because of turtling. Turtling is dumping the puck in the offensive zone and keeping everyone in the neutral zone to slow your opponent down. We never did anything like that. Infact we were still giving up odd man rushes when we were protecting a lead. You call that turtling?
You just want a more offensive and less disciplined structure. Well that's what you got. We are playing like 5 individuals out there.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Never thought i'd see a day where our D's score 6 goals in a game and still looks absolutely brutal.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I might buy this if Rierden wasn’t the coach responsible for defense the last few years.
Woah just a minute. Reirden was responsible for the dcore only. He wasnt responsible for the forwards back checking or the system as a whole.
A defensive system isnt just the 2 defence men. Its all 5 guys. The forwards are just as important especially in today's game with dmen pinching at the offensive blue line so often. The best defencemnen in the world won't be successful without support from the forwards.
Your argument doesn't hold water.
I think what we are finding out is that our dcore probably isnt as good as we thought it was and it was more about the system.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Their play starting with that Preds loss on NYE told me what I needed to know about how this month was going to go. I've skipped most of the games because I've got better things to do than watch a bunch of goldbrickers coasting until April.

Looks like the GDTs are the same, tho. LOL

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Orlov, Bowey and Copley all really bad today.

Kuzy is getting chances but is developing stone hands.

Ovie's on vacation already.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Connelly’s was especially egregious.
3 of the Hawks goals came off turnovers by our forwards. Connolly at the blue line. Eller and Vrana in the offensive zone. There were several other similar turnovers that didn't result in goals. We have been doing that all year.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Woah just a minute. Reirden was responsible for the dcore only. He wasnt responsible for the forwards back checking or the system as a whole.
A defensive system isnt just the 2 defence men. Its all 5 guys. The forwards are just as important especially in today's game with dmen pinching at the offensive blue line so often. The best defencemnen in the world won't be successful without support from the forwards.
I think what we are finding out is that our dcore probably isnt as good as we thought it was and it was more about the system.
Nice try, but you were singling out two defensemen , not the D core as a whole. You clearly implied that those two defensemen took a dive as a result of trotz leaving and rierden getting promoted. You’re either changing your argument now or were using vague wordplay to bait someone into drawing a specific from your general points that you could refute

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
That says to me it’s less about the HC changing, and more about the change in assistant coaches responsible for Defensemen and Forwards. It’s widely known how closely Todd worked with the D corps in his previous job - something he won’t have nearly as much time to do now - but Lane Lambert was also described as a guy who had immense attention to detail and had a lot to do with getting the forwards to buy into the defensive structure. People can focus on the HC all they want - and they do play an obviously important role - but in reality 3 of the main 5 coaches this year weren’t in their current positions last year. A fourth (Scott Murray) wasn’t in that position before last year, and no longer has the benefit of Mitch Korn to help out when things get tough in net.

With that turnover over the last two years, and relative lack of stability, it’s no surprise the coaching staff is going to be disjointed at times and learning on the job. It’s one of the reasons people need to limit their expectations of a repeat - if teams honestly thought an assistant-turned-rookie head coach was in at least a good a position to help a team repeat as the last HC, why were teams not hiring Lambert and Forsyth as HC this year? Indeed, if it didn’t take a full coaching staff effort to build those successes, why would Trotz care so much about taking Lambert and Korn with him to NYI? To me the bigger fault of GMBM last summer wasn’t letting Trotz leave necessarily, but underestimating the significance of a losing Trotz, Korn and Lambert in one go. And while I wish Scott Arniel and Reid Cashman well and I hope they’re successful in their roles, I haven’t seen anyone make the argument that they’re at the same level of talent or ability at this point as the two members of the team they’re directly or indirectly replacing.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
All-star break can't come fast enough. Hoping they recoup and get the ball rolling in the right direction.

Every team has its ups and downs. We're so accustomed to their success that we can't take it when they hit a speedbump. No need to panic.

Yep, never did like the Allstar game. I guess it gives players a rest, but a waste of time.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That says to me it’s less about the HC changing, and more about the change in assistant coaches responsible for Defensemen and Forwards. It’s widely known how closely Todd worked with the D corps in his previous job - something he won’t have nearly as much time to do now - but Lane Lambert was also described as a guy who had immense attention to detail and had a lot to do with getting the forwards to buy into the defensive structure. People can focus on the HC all they want - and they do play an obviously important role - but in reality 3 of the main 5 coaches this year weren’t in their current positions last year. A fourth (Scott Murray) wasn’t in that position before last year, and no longer has the benefit of Mitch Korn to help out when things get tough in net.

With that turnover over the last two years, and relative lack of stability, it’s no surprise the coaching staff is going to be disjointed at times and learning on the job. It’s one of the reasons people need to limit their expectations of a repeat - if teams honestly thought an assistant-turned-rookie head coach was in at least a good a position to help a team repeat as the last HC, why were teams not hiring Lambert and Forsyth as HC this year? Indeed, if it didn’t take a full coaching staff effort to build those successes, why would Trotz care so much about taking Lambert and Korn with him to NYI? To me the bigger fault of GMBM last summer wasn’t letting Trotz leave necessarily, but underestimating the significance of a losing Trotz, Korn and Lambert in one go. And while I wish Scott Arniel and Reid Cashman well and I hope they’re successful in their roles, I haven’t seen anyone make the argument that they’re at the same level of talent or ability at this point as the two members of the team they’re directly or indirectly replacing.
It was Trotz system. No one else's. And now his system ius doing wonders in New York.
Its time to stop making excuses for Reirden.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Nah, it’s the Caps system to win! Caps were winners before trotz and long after!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad