Post-Game Talk: Reigning Stanley Cup Champions @ Blackhawks 12:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
After catching up 6+ pages some are making the case that Todd R wasn't ready for prime time as HC. I don't have a good counter.

Anyway they couldn't come to terms w/Barry and this is what we have, another rookie HC. Even when they were winning and atop the Metro, maybe some of the wins were sloppy and they received more good bounces than their opponents. However the Caps play has deteriorated markedly from their "fortunate to have that record" days. During this 5 game losing streak they played three good teams (Preds were not in top form) and two basement dwellers. They've been outscored 23-9 :help:

With the Sharks and Leafs next it's not improbable that Caps are in a WC spot before the AS break :whaaa?:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I didn't see the game (probably just as well). Can somebody please tell me if there was any kind of anger or emotion from the players during the game? As in, a sign that they are actually p*ssed off with what is going on?
Please tell me Reirden was losing his temper behind the bench, or at some point during this game we saw some kind of emotion from him?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I didn't see the game (probably just as well). Can somebody please tell me if there was any kind of anger or emotion from the players during the game? As in, a sign that they are actually p*ssed off with what is going on?
Please tell me Reirden was losing his temper behind the bench, or at some point during this game we saw some kind of emotion from him?

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Wow - almost no emotion from the guys in the box and Reirden looks like he's trying to decide if he should be p*ssed or just keep looking like a dolt - he opted for the latter
Well, tbh, Im sure they're pissed even if it doesn't look like. Especially Orlov, man, he must be mad of himself now.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Do some people just get amnesia every offseason? Remember when Trotz had to ask other coaches how to keep his team motivated during a long season? It happened a few times to his teams.

This time last season they were in the midst of a stretch that saw them lose 6 of 9 games, and they didn't really right the ship until mid-March. Hard to blame the new coach when last year's coach had the same thing happen.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The overreactions here are brutal. People here act like these guys are mutants and will just play their absolute best every shift of all 82 games. They are tired and frustrated - it happens. Nothing is going right right now - they're not playing committed team defense, the goalies aren't covering for their mistakes, the 5-on-5 offense is struggling, a bunch of guys are in a slump, every mistake seems to end up in their net. That's hockey, it happens. All they can do is ride it out and keep grinding... it'll turn around.

On the plus side... if they continue to stink it'll make the TDL a lot more interesting!

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
So instead of always being a nay sayer, here are some positives I'm focussing on:

The record up to this point is very good and won't take much to be back in 1st spot in the Metro.
The team has 9 days of rest coming up and they really need that time off to recharge, refocus, etc. I do think fatigue is a factor here, among other things.
We don't have any injuries - at least, not obvious ones. Unless Kuzy and Oshie are still not right. But at least they are playing (kind of).
Our goalies are the least of our worries - and Cup winning teams start with goaltending, right?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Has anyone seen any type of emotion from Reirdon yet? He may be losing the team already.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Reirden is not Torts. He's not Boudreau. He is a calm and even keel guy. He was mad at Reaves cheap shot on Tom Wilson because he complained. His complaint was calm. He got a post game misconduct recently. Never saw him screaming or see any witness report but he certainly said something to someone.

As far as the team showing some emotion. I imagine Brooks Orpik had a post game fit behind the closed doors.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
As multiple people have pointed out, the Caps were dog **** last year at times.

The question is, can they pull it together?

My guess is that they can...
Not denying that they had rough last year, but most of games are lost because of Holthree. This year opponent is outplaying us.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
In other news:

Toronto are also losing to really bad teams . 3-7 in their last 10. Love it! You can bet the sky really IS falling over on that board, haha.
Oh and Bura still has more points than Nylander and comes at a much much lower cap hit ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad