Post-Game Talk: Regression! | Jets win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetkarma*

Also, can't help but love what the Leafs "truculence" entailed tonight:

-Colton Orr laying a beating on renowned punching bag Thorburn (good on Thorbs for stepping up)
-Cementhead Phaneuf going after (edit: nah that's too generous, more like jumped him, typical of the puke he is) Ladd and getting a roughing call for his troubles. Thanks for the PP goal, Dion!
-Kessel getting baited into a coincidental minor by Clitsome
-Orr taking an idiotic roughing penalty in a scrum around the goal, and not taking another Jet with him
-McLaren and Orr being sent out in the final minute to "send a message" :biglaugh:

Truculence, my ass. They've two goons, two guys who pick their spots (Phaneuf and Komarov), a physical guy that I like in Mark Fraser, and a bunch of small, soft forwards that the Jets D plowed into the end boards and dislodged from the front of the net with ease.

Not saying our lineup is about to challenge the Bruins and Kings, but then again, we're not trying to position like were some tough and fearsome team.

Neil Smith said tonight on Hockey Central that he liked and was surprised by how the Jets matched the physicality , especially to start the game against the Leafs.

Jets ( like most teams ) play better with emotion and I think a team, like the Leafs ( original 6 , crowd into it , most fights ) makes the Jets respond.

Looking forward to when the Jets add a couple players to the team that gets that emotion going for them on themselves.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
just wanted to say awesome game guys. Totally rooting for the jets in the east! Kaner's goal was sick!

Hope the jets make some noise in the next 20 or so games!

Good luck guys!

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
The only thing that annoys me is I know the Jets aren't going to sustain the energy and compete level they had tonight against other teams.

Something about the Toronto Maple Leafs that ignites a fire in many teams like it does every single one of us. You want to beat them, you want to hurt them, you want to embarrass them.

And it sucks because Antro played so well all over the ice tonight and I just know it's not going to stay that way.

Last edited:

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
The only thing that annoys me is the Jets aren't going to sustain the energy and compete level they had tonight against other teams.

Something about the Toronto Maple Leafs that ignites a fire in many teams and every single one of us. You want to beat them, you want to hurt them, you want to embarrass them.

And it sucks because Antro played so well all over the ice tonight and I just know it's not going to stay that way.

Agreed. Just goes to show how much we need more character guys. If we can get fired up like this every night, we can wallop most anybody.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The only thing that annoys me is the Jets aren't going to sustain the energy and compete level they had tonight against other teams.

Something about the Toronto Maple Leafs that ignites a fire in many teams and every single one of us. You want to beat them, you want to hurt them, you want to embarrass them.

Noel complains about it all the time.

Keeps talking about ways to get the team "emotional" and we have seen the results of when they play that way and when they don't.

His job as a coach to try and get them to that level.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
According to http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Southeast/Winnipeg.html
Winnipeg Jets Playoff Chances
Beat Toronto 5-2, playoff odds up 14.7 to 49.7%
28 points 13 11-2

Points Minus Games Played (Games Above .500 if you will)

TEAM | PMGP | Comments
Boston|13
Montreal|12
Pittsburgh|11
Carolina|6
Ottawa|5
Toronto|4
NY Rangers|3|11 ROW
New Jersey|3|10 ROW
Winnipeg|2
NY Islanders|-1
Philadelphia|-2
Tampa Bay|-3
Washington|-4
Buffalo|-4
Florida|-7

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
Money phoooooooone. I made a gif.

iIhAL6L24QCkQ.gif

Great job! I was hoping a gif was coming.. That kid was PUMPED.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It must be said... I don't think everyone had a good game...

Jokinen was suspect...
I think some of the lack of production is just luck (read: variance) but...
Only minus player on the team.
Against one of the worst possession teams in the league he was outchanced (or par) against every player on the entire Leafs squad except one, 2:0 vs Komarov.
Heck against McClement he was 1:6 and McLaren he was 3:6... he got out possesed/chanced by their terrible goon line....

Jokinen had two blatant turnovers, one led to a Leafs goal. I agree all the forwards played well except one, Jokinen, as some guys have said if they can bench Burmi for poor play than Jokinen should also be benched, never agreed until tonight.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I loved the crowd tonight! It was really nice to see the entire team bring it tonight! Pavs was absolutly unbelievable again! Bring on the Rangers! Go Jets Go! :handclap: :yo:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Dammit guys, I thought I told you last season to stop upsetting the visiting team and having fun at the games!:sarcasm:

It took me a while to figure out what they were chanting, but I had a pretty good laugh when it hit me.

Gaald

Mar 17, 2012
Had to PVR the game but I got to watch it with some friends, and oh man what a game! Antropov and Wellwood, lighting it up! I loved it! Kane with a sweet snipe! Wheeler playing with some emotion! WRIGHT, so close! And Buff, moving the bodies! It was beautiful! :)

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
According to http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Southeast/Winnipeg.html

Points Minus Games Played (Games Above .500 if you will)

TEAM | PMGP | Comments
Boston|13
Montreal|12
Pittsburgh|11
Carolina|6
Ottawa|5
Toronto|4
NY Rangers|3|11 ROW
New Jersey|3|10 ROW
Winnipeg|2
NY Islanders|-1
Philadelphia|-2
Tampa Bay|-3
Washington|-4
Buffalo|-4
Florida|-7

Whats really interesting is that we play the NYR, TOR and OTT in our next 3 games. Its conceivable if we win all 3 we could be in like 5th place come monday. But ill take 2 out of 3.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
except the Leafs will likely be on a 4 game losing streak, playing at home and it will be on HNIC.

going 3 for 3 is ridiculous. wouldn't bet the farm on it.
have to win at home vs the Rangers. that's a must win.
you HOPE they can beat the Leafs, but that is tough.

even more difficult?
they're playing against the Sens 18 hrs after playing against the Leafs. yikes.

so expect a 1-2 record. don't be shocked if it is 0-3. do cartwheels if it is 2-1. buy stocks in Halls if it is 3-0

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
When did Leafs fans start considering their team as elite? They've been overachieving till this point and are finally realizing they're cheering for a team of AHLers lol.

I've been wondering about that myself. They haven't made the playoffs in close to a decade, they manage to get into 5th place with smoke and mirrors half way through a shortened season and now they are elite? Their inevitable tumble out of contention will be sweeter than usual this season.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
that was one of the best games i've seen the Jets play. Definitly a shame we don't get an effort like that everynight.

man

Wright can't buy a goal. He's like me in rec league!

Wheeler looked really strong today i thought. I really don't get why so many people have gotten down on him. This goes for past games too, whatever the problem is, i'm not seeing it.

Kane = beauty. I'm so stoked on this kid. just a laser on that goal.

antrowelly = came oout to play against their old team in a big way. I was really impressed with how antro handled himself, the puck, and the leafs at the chippy moments of the game.

go leafs go = best chant yet. that was good, funny, clever, and mean. I especially liked the rage that came out about it. Every negative tweet/comment i found on it was from a toronto fan. News flash for leaf fans = lighten the **** up. if you were in the playoffs you wouldn't boo the opposing teams goalie? I feel bad for the good leafs fans, there's alot of dickheads ruining that fanbase for everyone else.

all in all, awesome game. Its a shame were leaving the conference, good rivalry building here.

icing on the cake? i love how "old school hockey" got shot down in a huge way tonight. the goons got worked on the ice, they got taken by the refs, it just worked out exactly how it should this day and age.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
I couldn't post last night... throat is still raw this morning.

That was one heck of a tilt. About half way through the third I heard the section over had started the 'Let's Go Blue Jays' chant. I knew instantly what it was and started in on it and it caught on to my section and continued to grow.

I had to laugh on the way home there's Rick Ralph asking Hainsey what he thought of the 'Blue Jays are better' chant (yes he messed it up) and Hainsey didn't get it either... He's a Yankees fan so they had this awkward exchange about it. Just really found that funny.

I know we had a great crowd, and a great effort by many Jets, and some are still in the pooper house. I love the Joker's efforts but he did look awkward.

Is it just me or did Antro have his game of the year?

I know I'm a fan of the raw ability of Burmie but if Noel is having maturity issues with him, how long til he gets traded? If this keeps repeating itself, I just don't see it ending well.

Oh, and Pav's with the high glove.... save! Not goal, save. That was pretty sweet.

Incredible momentum, a great feel in the air. Some Leafs fans took a good ribbing too. (Never out of towners but you know those locals that seem to wear every away jersey to every other game?)

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Dammit guys, I thought I told you last season to stop upsetting the visiting team and having fun at the games!:sarcasm:

It took me a while to figure out what they were chanting, but I had a pretty good laugh when it hit me.

Was there a "Pizzas Pizzas" chant in the first? is that what i was hearing? It sure seemed to fire up the Jets.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh what a great morning. Woke up, made some coffee and turned on sports center to watch the REGRESSION!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am at work and I turned on sports center and got to relive the REGRESSION again LMAO!!

Cannot wait to watch hockey central at noon ...... it is going to be a Toronto Meltdown show by those homers

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Jokinen had two blatant turnovers, one led to a Leafs goal. I agree all the forwards played well except one, Jokinen, as some guys have said if they can bench Burmi for poor play than Jokinen should also be benched, never agreed until tonight.
I agree re Joker, but benching an 'A' would be pretty bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad