Recalled/Assigned: Reese Johnson up, Kalynuk & Phillips down

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I think we have enough plugs in this lineup that re lying yet another stump seems utterly useless. Especially this guy.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think we have enough plugs in this lineup that re lying yet another stump seems utterly useless. Especially this guy.
Let's face it, there's nothing special about Hawks' bottom 6. They're pretty much interchangeable and nothing really changes good or bad. At least when Hino was here he created some offence on occasion. The current group just tries to stay afloat and not be dominated.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Let's face it, there's nothing special about Hawks' bottom 6. They're pretty much interchangeable and nothing really changes good or bad. At least when Hino was here he created some offence on occasion. The current group just tries to stay afloat and not be dominated.

Hino didn’t offer much except wheels, but that is something the bottom six is sorely lacking.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
You gotta churn these bottom sixers through the system so you don't end up having to pay low-skill guys bigger money because you don't have a younger guy waiting in the wings to replace them.

I don't think it's a terrible idea. We gotta work on our bottom sixth depth as well as top 6. Injuries happen, they need to be ready and you gotta do it when they're still waiver exempt.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
So I keep hearing.... Last season Hino came to a terrible Hawks team, had no PP time and recorded 12 pts in 17 games (projected 57 pts in 82 games). Nobody in Hawks bottom 6 is anywhere close to that offensively.

Given the rest of his career stats that's a 17 game outlier.

Reactions: ClydeLee

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
So I keep hearing.... Last season Hino came to a terrible Hawks team, had no PP time and recorded 12 pts in 17 games (projected 57 pts in 82 games). Nobody in Hawks bottom 6 is anywhere close to that offensively.
He doesn't have tbat level of offense close to his potential either. He had pdo of 104, he was hot and lucky for a short streak. But he also had more of a 2nd line role. Even with that he still was a plus 2 and had tgf, just 4 over how many allowed with him there. He wasn't a defensive solution and he had a nice start to Buffalo that's also dropping off lately.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He doesn't have tbat level of offense close to his potential either. He had pdo of 104, he was hot and lucky for a short streak. But he also had more of a 2nd line role. Even with that he still was a plus 2 and had tgf, just 4 over how many allowed with him there. He wasn't a defensive solution and he had a nice start to Buffalo that's also dropping off lately.
Oh yeah... just lucky. I wish someone, anyone in our current bottom six would get lucky once in a while.

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Oh yeah... just lucky. I wish someone, anyone in our current bottom six would get lucky once in a while.
The goal is for the top 6 to be productive, not just lucky. This team also had been the worst PDO team by far and wide this season. As bad as they've been, it's also been unlucky like Kubalik in the pits like Cat was 2 years ago, flubbing everything.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The goal is for the top 6 to be productive, not just lucky. This team also had been the worst PDO team by far and wide this season. As bad as they've been, it's also been unlucky like Kubalik in the pits like Cat was 2 years ago, flubbing everything.
Kubalik and Cat are top-6 guys. The bottom-6 guys can't produce a decent scoring chance. It's not bad luck. It's a lack of talent. They're too busy trying to keep up.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
our bottom 6 does not have to be so bad, IMO it had a lot to do with JC and the lack of setting up guys for success and I too am not a fan of letting HINO go and keeping a guy like Carpenter and signing guys like JK. Hino brought skill and speed and was effective when acquired last year.

honestly the only sure fire top 6 wingers and C on the hawks at this point in time IMO include:

Kane
Kubalik
Cat
Hagel

That is it! shocking but that it is what is...that said there are a host of other players that could be top 6 talent and they include:

Toews
Dach
Kurashev
Borgstrom

that is 8 guys for 6 positions, two of those should make up two thirds of the 3rd line with another skater...

if I was King I would role these lines when healthy:

Cat-Dach-Kane
Kubalik-Toews-Hagel
Borgstrom-Kurashev-Nylander
Entwistle-T Johnson-Gaudette

Carpenter/JK = 13-14 forwards that come in from time to time to replace 4th liners.
Strome = Bye bye, get the FUNK out of here like JC

I am really interested to see when King gets Nylander called up and how he utilizes him. I think that 3rd line could be pretty good.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
our bottom 6 does not have to be so bad, IMO it had a lot to do with JC and the lack of setting up guys for success and I too am not a fan of letting HINO go and keeping a guy like Carpenter and signing guys like JK. Hino brought skill and speed and was effective when acquired last year.

honestly the only sure fire top 6 wingers and C on the hawks at this point in time IMO include:

Kane
Kubalik
Cat
Hagel

That is it! shocking but that it is what is...that said there are a host of other players that could be top 6 talent and they include:

Toews
Dach
Kurashev
Borgstrom

that is 8 guys for 6 positions, two of those should make up two thirds of the 3rd line with another skater...

if I was King I would role these lines when healthy:

Cat-Dach-Kane
Kubalik-Toews-Hagel
Borgstrom-Kurashev-Nylander
Entwistle-T Johnson-Gaudette

Carpenter/JK = 13-14 forwards that come in from time to time to replace 4th liners.
Strome = Bye bye, get the FUNK out of here like JC

I am really interested to see when King gets Nylander called up and how he utilizes him. I think that 3rd line could be pretty good.

In that second grouping, I see only Dach as a top six. Toews is done, Borgstrom hasn't shown much of anything, and Kurashev is turning out to be the definition of just a guy.

Reactions: Pertti

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
In that second grouping, I see only Dach as a top six. Toews is done, Borgstrom hasn't shown much of anything, and Kurashev is turning out to be the definition of just a guy.

there in lies the issue, our top 6 lacks talent and that will only be exacerbated in the bottom 6.

Stan's reclamation projects of Borgstrom and Nylander MUST hit for this team and sadly I am not sure that either one will.

Kurashev plays the right way so IMO he will be fine and churn out a long career in the NHL as a top 9 guy, he has game breaking talent, he just needs to be placed in the correct position to succeed. I see him having success as a winger on a scoring line. (think Riechel-Dach-Kurashev) which will leave Cat and Kubalik as goal scoring wingers to play with others

Toews well, I can say that he is still a possession beast...

hope Riechel gets a look later this season to see how he has progressed in Rockford. IMO he should be with the hawks next season and be firmly planted in the top 9, stapled to Dach's LW IMO

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Toews is done...how bad and crazy understanding of hockey do some people have here. Dominating possession and chances when you're on ice... they had no shots on goal vs Toews in the game a couple games ago... is not anything like done or a bad player.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Someone explain to me how Kyle Beach didn’t see a single NHL game? An assistant captain at prospect games, yet no NHL action? Decent, not amazing numbers in the AHL, but we now know why…

before the assault Beach had an awesome last year of junior hockey…went to Rockford and lead team in playoff scoring, recalled as a Black Ace…only to never see the Hawks??? Should have been right there with Bickell. Kruger, Saad, Shaw and others…

and Reese Johnson gets what? His third or fourth call yo now?

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Toews is done...how bad and crazy understanding of hockey do some people have here. Dominating possession and chances when you're on ice... they had no shots on goal vs Toews in the game a couple games ago... is not anything like done or a bad player.

Part of being a top six forward is putting the puck in the net once in a while. He’s a $10.5M Kruger.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Someone explain to me how Kyle Beach didn’t see a single NHL game? An assistant captain at prospect games, yet no NHL action? Decent, not amazing numbers in the AHL, but we now know why…

before the assault Beach had an awesome last year of junior hockey…went to Rockford and lead team in playoff scoring, recalled as a Black Ace…only to never see the Hawks??? Should have been right there with Bickell. Kruger, Saad, Shaw and others…

and Reese Johnson gets what? His third or fourth call yo now?
Why are you discussing 10yrs ago?

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I’ve seen a lot of insults thrown at Toews over the years.

But none as harsh as “he’s a 10.5mil Kruger”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad