Proposal: Redesigning the Canes

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Didn't want to post this in the News thread, because its not news, and I don't think we have anything like this currently going, so I decided to start my own thread because I've had some concepts periodically that come into my head that I put to design. And sure, enough, this morning I had an idea to tweak the logo I've been using as my avatar for a while.... What do you think?

CanesConcept2.png

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I like the right one more than the left; while the left may be more accurate visually and closer to the old logo I feel like the tails get lost.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I like the right one more than the left; while the left may be more accurate visually and closer to the old logo I feel like the tails get lost.
Yeah I thought I would like the one on the left more, but.... I don't know. I do kind of like how the tail makes it a bit taller, but it still feels off. My thinking is that, using the new 3d effects that Adidas now does with their crests, that you could texture in some visualization to show more bands like an actual hurricane when in use.
Not for me. But perhaps it's better on a jersey. Do you have that concept?
Not yet, but I can quickly throw some together. Give me 10-15 and I'll have a couple

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Here is my issue with it. The current design (worn out, old, or you just dont like it) is easily recognizable as a hurricane. These are not, not even close actually. Maybe these could be shoulder patches or no the pants but not as the main logo on the jersey. I think if the logo gets a refresh it should be something along the lines of the pirate logo that used to float around or the hurricane warning flags that we currently have as our 3rd jersey.

Reactions: cptjeff

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think it’s too close to the Cincinnati Cyclones logo to be honest. I like the concept though.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
My attempt at a home/away set with them using a mix of all of our previous styles. (home is current set... away uses original styling with current red stripes plus the numbers from the previous set)

UniformConcept1.png

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
My attepmt at a home/away set with them using a mix of our current style and the original

View attachment 527886
Thought you might go for a bit more of a re-design on the jerseys. I think it does look better on a jersey, though. For me, I don't see it being worth replacing what we have currently, but as a special event jersey or shoulder patch, there's potential there at least.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Thought you might go for a bit more of a re-design on the jerseys. I think it does look better on a jersey, though. For me, I don't see it being worth replacing what we have currently, but as a special event jersey or shoulder patch, there's potential there at least.
At the end of the day, I like our styling. Just wanted to show that pulling off the hidden C and H is possible with our brand and that it could actually be done. In my opinion, the logo doesn't need the tails, but it doesn't necessarily take away from having it with them.

If you ask me, I think our current alternate logo is perfect, and you really can't improve upon it. And as long as the current jerseys are more form fitting, it fits the current Adidas template perfectly. At this point, that should be our primary logo and the blacks should be our standard homes, and you could build out the aways based around them:

Canes2019ad.png

If we did that, the logo I put above could be a secondary that we would use as a patch on the shoulders and/or breezers, and could be used on merchandise, like hats. (I think mine is better suited for a baseball hat, to be honest)

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
+1 on making using our third jersey logo for home/away.

Personally not a fan of the proposed logo. It reminds me of 90's tribal tattoos.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I like the idea, but I don't like the execution of it. I would try to somehow modify the current logo to become the "C" and add the flags to make it happen.

That said, I like the current logo fine and don't feel the need to change it. I also like the idea of the alternate logo being promoted to the main logo more than trying to reappropriate the hidden letters like the Whale.

Reactions: LakeLivin

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
At the end of the day, I like our styling. Just wanted to show that pulling off the hidden C and H is possible with our brand and that it could actually be done. In my opinion, the logo doesn't need the tails, but it doesn't necessarily take away from having it with them.

If you ask me, I think our current alternate logo is perfect, and you really can't improve upon it. And as long as the current jerseys are more form fitting, it fits the current Adidas template perfectly. At this point, that should be our primary logo and the blacks should be our standard homes, and you could build out the aways based around them:

View attachment 527895

If we did that, the logo I put above could be a secondary that we would use as a patch on the shoulders and/or breezers, and could be used on merchandise, like hats. (I think mine is better suited for a baseball hat, to be honest)
Those aways look even better with the alt logo. Need to send that to Tommy D, I hear he's no a big fan of our whites!

Reactions: Svechhammer

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I posted this before, and I figured I might as well add it to this thread just to consolidate. I whipped this up last year, and my thinking is maybe we can replace the NC flag on the shoulder of the alternate with it, if not use it as a shoulder patch on all the jerseys
CHAlt2.2.1.png

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I like the idea, but I don't like the execution of it. I would try to somehow modify the current logo to become the "C" and add the flags to make it happen.

That said, I like the current logo fine and don't feel the need to change it. I also like the idea of the alternate logo being promoted to the main logo more than trying to reappropriate the hidden letters like the Whale.

Much of what I was going to say. I like the concept but the "C" would need to be much more stylized and "free flowing" in order to capture the "feel" of a hurricane.

I have to admit that I'm not at all a fan of our primary logo. I like the current "CANES" away logo much better than the swirl.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad