GDT: Red Wings @ Senators | Rematch! | Oct 31, 2015, 7PM EST | CITY TV, TVA Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Andy's game went south in a hurry after he took that stick to the head from Abdelkader. It seemed to rattle him and take him off his game. Andy has stolen countless games for us in the past, but last night was one where we needed a timely save or two from our starter that didn't materialize.

Yeah, I watched the highlights, and while 3 of the goals were almost unstoppable, 2 of them absolutely were, especially the wraparound. He barely reacted when the player skated around the net. Although to be fair, no dman covered properly.

Hopefully he gets back to full form on tuesday. We'll need him against the high-flying Habs.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I have always found it very hard to analyze goalie plays, because i dont get the position. But Larkins wrap around goal, first of all, it isnt what i usually think of when i think of a goalie having an issue with wrap arounds.

The issue in this case seemed to me to more be one of a poke check. Whenever a goalie lunges for a poke check and misses, he inevitably looks foolish. Was he wrong to attempt the poke check? EK looked like he had to protect against Larkin and Abdelkader for a back door pass, so I would've thought Anderson made the right call to protect against the wrap around with a poke check. And I actually thought he succeeded at the poke check until i heard them announce the goal. It was pretty close, and he woulda surely been called brilliantly aggressive had he succeeded?

I dont know if he was right or not try the poke check, but once he did, it doesnt seem the right analysis anymore to suggest that his failure on that play was the wrap around, does it? At least not in the way i usually think of goalies having wrap around issues.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Anderson plays low-angle shots with his short-side skate outside the post. This isn't unusual, and was in fact more common before butterfly and in early butterfly adaptations. This technique has had a recent resurgence.

Hammond would have been inside the short-side post, in reverse-VH, or at least wouldn't have played so low outside the post. He would have been more ready to push over to the far post to stop a wrap-around.

In some ways, I find Andy's style refreshing. In cases like this, I find he over-commits to the shooter, and abandons the net. Don't go chasing the shooter, Andy!!!

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
P.S. Does Erik even care to try defending here? Larkin didn't even have to go around the net on this drive. Alfredsson defended against Pominville in the ECF better than Erik did here.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Andy's game went south in a hurry after he took that stick to the head from Abdelkader. It seemed to rattle him and take him off his game. Andy has stolen countless games for us in the past, but last night was one where we needed a timely save or two from our starter that didn't materialize.

Bingo!

You think Andy didn't notice that incredibly soft call where Neil was tripped? And then he doesn't get a call for a bad hit against him?

Andy's body language changed completely after that. There's only so many times a guy can save the team, and be tossed around in his own crease with the calls going the other way before it drags you down.

Refs are protecting nearly every goalie in the league.....except ours (and whoever Montreal plays). It stinks. :rant:

Edit: I would love to see a stat of how many man games our goalies have lost to injury over the last 5 years, and compare it to the other teams in the league. I'd be willing to bet we are easily in the top 3.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
The issue in this case seemed to me to more be one of a poke check. Whenever a goalie lunges for a poke check and misses, he inevitably looks foolish. Was he wrong to attempt the poke check? EK looked like he had to protect against Larkin and Abdelkader for a back door pass, so I would've thought Anderson made the right call to protect against the wrap around with a poke check. And I actually thought he succeeded at the poke check until i heard them announce the goal. It was pretty close, and he woulda surely been called brilliantly aggressive had he succeeded?

I dont know if he was right or not try the poke check, but once he did, it doesnt seem the right analysis anymore to suggest that his failure on that play was the wrap around, does it? At least not in the way i usually think of goalies having wrap around issues.

1) Anderson attempts the poke check here because he has no other choice. He over committed on the player and knew that he was screwed otherwise. Poke checks are a last resort type play for goaltenders nowadays as it opens up more opportunities for the player shooting.

2) Anderson should have been inside his post in order to slide across and make the save.

I have no idea how Andy constantly gets beat on those wrap around goals. At the very least I'm sure Wamsley has worked with him on those. Hell, playing AA and Junior growing up we practiced wrap around with our goalie coach all the time.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
A couple of comments about the game:
- I'm voting for a rule to disallow wraparounds.
- I hate Ericsson. I'm ok with protecting your goalie and clearing the front of the net but he's the type of D that will always give the extra shot that drives me nuts, just like Adam McQuade, another one I hate. Looks like Neil agrees with me.
- Special teams was a big factor for the outcome of this game... a predictable PP and coverage issues on the PK.

I would like to see the Senator's defensemen play that aggressive physical style instead of the passive approach they take now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad