GDT: Red Wings @ Senators | Rematch! | Oct 31, 2015, 7PM EST | CITY TV, TVA Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The biggest problem with this team is that Karlsson uses the start of the season to train. Last year we blamed it on Methot being injured and his own achilles recovery but this year he has Methot but still gets beat easily in his zone. He's also more predictable so his shots are blocked, he misses the net or just passes when he gets the chance. Once in while he tests his speed by making a rush but most lead to nothing.

It's his own fault! Karlsson admitted again he chose to rest instead of training so he's not in game shape. He didn't push in preseason either. Could that have rubbed off on Z-Bad too who showed up overweight? I'm starting to think he's not a good example and should be stripped of the "C". Yes I know he'll improve as he gets his game in order and start to produce but if you are the captain of a team you don't waste 20 games playing yourself into shape! He is so talented but that alone shouldn't give him a free pass.

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder, myself. Seeing those pictures of him in his Halloween costume and other pictures/video in the preseason....dude looked like he was developing a keg in his belly! I don't know if this is his style or just complete idiots on the training staff telling him to do this or what.

All I know is, it's not working. We're not a dynasty team that can spend a good 20 games in warmup mode during the season like this.

Really disappointing.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Move Ryan back w Turris-Stone.

Free Wideman...sit Boro

Send McCormick back....bring up Robinson or Dzingel.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Prince is not adding much. He should sit when Hoff is ready. Smith was crap.. Sens PP was like 5 fence posts in a field...not enough movement...predictable

Crap call on Neil was turning pt

Mrazek was solid...nice to see him playing so well.

It was a Brap call on Neil and you ban't say the letter B.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think there's a decent chance Stone will get a game or two for the hit to Ferraro.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
They played very well for the first 2 periods but couldn't score on the PP whereas Detroit was more successful.

Some games you play poorly and win, other games you play well and lose. I wouldn't blame it all on Andy but 5 goals is a lot.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hoffman back on top line and Prince on second line with Mika and Ryan finding their game is promising.

Wideman back on with Cowen also promising.

Making a trade for a top 3 defender could change complexity of this team completely and allow us to legit contend for top 3 spot in division and top 5 spot overall in Conference.

I still would give this roster 5 more games, including Wier.

Let's see it. But I want Wideman in instantly after another game or next game.

Scatch Smith for Lazar down the middle.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They were playing until the third period

Baby steps, that this team didn't completely suck out of the gate in a back-to-back against a divisional rival is a good sign

Anderson needs to be better though, the dreaded 35 years of age is getting close

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Such a weird game. I thought the Sens were the better team, yet they were down 5 - 1 at one point. Special teams and individual breakdowns really was the difference.

Both the PK and the PP are in the bottom third of the league.

Karlsson needs to get his ass in gear. The team can't afford having him playing half-assed.

Cameron need to change things up. Prince should be playing with Zib and Ryan. Hopefully the setup for Ryan's goal gives Cameron the idea.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The biggest problem with this team is that Karlsson uses the start of the season to train. Last year we blamed it on Methot being injured and his own achilles recovery but this year he has Methot but still gets beat easily in his zone. He's also more predictable so his shots are blocked, he misses the net or just passes when he gets the chance. Once in while he tests his speed by making a rush but most lead to nothing.

It's his own fault! Karlsson admitted again he chose to rest instead of training so he's not in game shape. He didn't push in preseason either. Could that have rubbed off on Z-Bad too who showed up overweight? I'm starting to think he's not a good example and should be stripped of the "C". Yes I know he'll improve as he gets his game in order and start to produce but if you are the captain of a team you don't waste 20 games playing yourself into shape! He is so talented but that alone shouldn't give him a free pass.

all swedes are lazy yhihf :sarcasm:

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Not even close. Boys played a great, great game. Poor reffing, some excellent goaltending by Mrazek and perfectly capitalized chances by Detroit were the difference.

You forget one person. Anderson. I dont understand, how he even be in NHL. Is wraparound something new ? He sucks, and this is not even funny anymore.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
It would seem to me that the PP would be much better if they would stop passing the damn puck to each other and shoot the puck somewhere in the direction of the enemies net.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
It would seem to me that the PP would be much better if they would stop passing the damn puck to each other and shoot the puck somewhere in the direction of the enemies net.

True, that pissed me off a little too. Same with Karlsson pinching too much and not getting back, but overall it wasn’t too bad of a game, other than losing of course!

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

You don't shoot the puck if you don't have a shooting lane. Don't kill a penalty for the other team by being reckless with the puck. Our real problem is that we had 4 or 5 RH shots on the PP. Having Hoffman's lethal LH shot changes the entire complexity of the PP. Guys just need to have patience.

I thought the PP looked really crisp yesterday. It didn't end up producing a goal but at least it generated consistent zone time and shots on net and opportunities to score. If you can get PKers moving side to side and expending energy then you're doing yourself a favor as a PPer. Results will come, just need to get that last missing piece (Hoffman) out there on PP1.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You forget one person. Anderson. I dont understand, how he even be in NHL. Is wraparound something new ? He sucks, and this is not even funny anymore.

You mean the guy who has consistently stolen us games over the years between the pipes?

Last edited by a moderator:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
You mean the guy who has consistently stolen us games over the years between the pipes?

Yeah, that guy.

How has the goalie, whose performances have saved our bacon more times than we can count, still be in the NHL? We're such a soft organization, keeping around these cost-efficient guys who have significantly made our team better.

Boggles the mind, it does!

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Interesting that we are right in the middle in special teams shot generation/suppression:

shotPlot-25-specialTeams-cor.png

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

The reason for this is cause we don't have shooters on the PP.

Anyone notice how when Zibanejad was on top PP then all of a sudden we had a shooting threat and the PP seemed more dangerous?

Turris and Ryan don't have slapshots and need to take some bit of time for their wristers.

Keeping Zibanejad on top PP is instrumental for our success.

Also, the fact that Turris and Ryan can't snipe it or blast it also completely removes from Karlsson's ability to quarterback and have a lane to shoot himself.

It's like if Montreal didn't have Patches and Markov with good shots, Subban would almost never score on PP cause everyone would just focus on covering him.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Andy's game went south in a hurry after he took that stick to the head from Abdelkader. It seemed to rattle him and take him off his game. Andy has stolen countless games for us in the past, but last night was one where we needed a timely save or two from our starter that didn't materialize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad