Rumor: Red Wings nearing a trade involving Berggren?

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
1- DETROITS NOT GETTING NEAR THE CUP THIS SEASON 2- BERGGRENS STOCK OBVIOUSLY CAN GREATLY RISE FROM WHERE IT IS NOW = (caps by accident) foolish to trade bergy now . plus detroit isnt deep at forward in the first place

Reactions: letsgowings9999

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The players like Hanas, will be just fine. These players have to develop. It’s very rare to see this many 22 and under players on an AHL roster, playing every night. There’s a few 20 year olds. Hanas is a far superior prospect in Detroit’s eyes.

Berggren is NOT Yzerman’s type of forward, who slashes, plays in traffic, and creates space. So it’s safe to say, he’s not going to be around for years. Kostin frankly, makes a bigger difference shift to shift right now. So they’d much rather Berggren play an important role in GR.

Just FYI as well… This up and down thing with Berggren can’t go on much longer. He only has about 5-6 NHL Games left, before he has to start clearing waivers. So we will likely see him come up for good, or they’ll start calling Soderblom or Mazur up instead of Berggren. At least this year. I think it’s a pretty good bet, Berggren isn’t Detroit property by the deadline though..
This whole post just gives off massive "I haven't watched the players in question" vibes. That or you're looking for far different things than what makes effective hockey players.

Mixed with a healthy dose of excusing the fact that coach doesn't know how, or probably more damning doesn't want, to best utilize a skilled player. Remember this is the guy who was trying to talk Cooper into running Kucherov out of Tampa...

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
With all due respect who gives a shit about pre season. Hanas being a regular in the lineup is far from a sure thing

Yes I been watching games and most of the kids are in bottom 6 roles. I'm hopeful someone like lombardi pans out as some steal draft pick but again not guaranteed. We didnt have a young player come out and explode and have a nice season as a rookie like kuluch did bourque last year had 47 pts and now is at the top of the scoring race.

We dont have those guys. Berggren is capable of putting up numbers and is young. Dealing him at this point with so many question marks on guys is nonsensical

It's all nice and dandy to back check and all that but again you need to score. Yay were scoring after 25 games big shit. Theres better odds we go back down than keep up this scoring pace. Berggren is way more talented offensively than a veleno,sprong etc... he needs to be on this team. I'm not saying he'll be a career redwing with all the prospects and draisaitl coming soon(ya that's right lol) but he should be playing here for a few years and at the least boost his trade value cause hes a 50+ guy in my book with an opportunity

Lol I know this isnt the nba I also know we had alot of promising prospects who Turned out to be busts and I'm not getting my Hope's up cause yzerman drafted them. He already f***ed up bigtime by listening to Osgood and taking cossa over wallstedt

People wont like to hear this but I'd much rather keep berggren over fabbri. Guys going to get hurt again sucks to say it but he will and I'd be trying to take advantage of his hot streak and insert berggren in. He wont last the season

What value does he have exactly? A 2nd if were lucky? much rather keep him. Ya let's use him in a package deal for another veteran we dont need. Let's please chris illitch

With all due respect who gives a shit about pre season. Hanas being a regular in the lineup is far from a sure thing

Yes I been watching games and most of the kids are in bottom 6 roles. I'm hopeful someone like lombardi pans out as some steal draft pick but again not guaranteed. We didnt have a young player come out and explode and have a nice season as a rookie like kuluch did bourque last year had 47 pts and now is at the top of the scoring race.

We dont have those guys. Berggren is capable of putting up numbers and is young. Dealing him at this point with so many question marks on guys is nonsensical

It's all nice and dandy to back check and all that but again you need to score. Yay were scoring after 25 games big shit. Theres better odds we go back down than keep up this scoring pace. Berggren is way more talented offensively than a veleno,sprong etc... he needs to be on this team. I'm not saying he'll be a career redwing with all the prospects and draisaitl coming soon(ya that's right lol) but he should be playing here for a few years and at the least boost his trade value cause hes a 50+ guy in my book with an opportunity

Lol I know this isnt the nba I also know we had alot of promising prospects who Turned out to be busts and I'm not getting my Hope's up cause yzerman drafted them. He already f***ed up bigtime by listening to Osgood and taking cossa over wallstedt

People wont like to hear this but I'd much rather keep berggren over fabbri. Guys going to get hurt again sucks to say it but he will and I'd be trying to take advantage of his hot streak and insert berggren in. He wont last the season

What value does he have exactly? A 2nd if were lucky? much rather keep him. Ya let's use him in a package deal for another veteran we dont need. Let's please chris illitch
With all that said, it’s still just a lot of complaining and frustration surrounding Berggren, and impatience over prospects not being where YOU want to see them 21 and under…. You’re complaining over a 21 year old goalie with a .905 save percentage in the AHL? Why? He’s right on track. He’s a goalie. Nobody has any idea at this point, whether he was the better pick or not. I would’ve taken the Swede over him too, but nobody knows at this point. I wouldn’t have taken a goalie in the 1st Round. It’s a 4-5 year process before you can tell anything.

A lot of your complaints are 2-3 years early. Four years ago, they didn’t have any prospects to develop. They now have more 200+ NHL prospects than anyone else. Let them develop.

As for Berggren, the reality still remains, who’s he taking a spot from??? Fabbri? Veleno? Rasmussen? Kane? Perron? Debrincat? Compher? Larkin? Sprong?

Every single one of those guys, is a better NHL player right now.

They simply don’t need what he’s currently offering. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad player and I’m saying trade him for the sake of trading him. But if he’s asking to be traded, that also changes things. Plus, because he isn’t designed to play a checking role as well, his opportunity is different than a Mazur, Hanas, or Soderblom. Even a Savage or Danielson.

The goal is to win NHL games. You need players like Fischer and Kostin on your 4th line. So it limits where Berggren fits. He has to be better than those top 9 players I mentioned. He’s just not right now.

There’s a lot of great things coming in Detroit. You have to have patience with prospects though. They have to be put in positions to succeed when their time in the NHL comes. They did the right thing by adding vets right now. Maybe they over did it on the backend, but that will all clean itself up, sooner than you may think.

Detroit fans were spoiled for a long time. They didn’t have to deal with waiting for players to develop. Nobody sat on pins and needles, waiting for Dastyuk, Zetterberg, etc. They just appeared on good teams. Holland left this team in a disaster state. Literally empty of talent. It’s come a long way in 4 years. It takes time though, and a lot of Detroit fans aren’t used to that.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This whole post just gives off massive "I haven't watched the players in question" vibes. That or you're looking for far different things than what makes effective hockey players.

Mixed with a healthy dose of excusing the fact that coach doesn't know how, or probably more damning doesn't want, to best utilize a skilled player. Remember this is the guy who was trying to talk Cooper into running Kucherov out of Tampa...
What on earth are you even talking about? This isnt a video game where you SIM seasons in 5 minutes and an NHL player appears. It’s not the NFL or NBA either, where kids play right away.

You draft types of players with certain skill sets, and hope you’re good enough to help develop them into NHL players. Throwing in the towel when kids are 20-21 screams, of having absolutely no idea how things work.

Reactions: sepster

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
detroit isnt deep at forward in the first place
Detroit is down it's two top Cs and still holding it's own against playoff teams. Detroit forward depth is really damn good right now.

The issue with Berggren is he isn't waiver exempt much longer and the Wings are still weak at D and G. His value is high based on recent performance but he's still below average defensively and gets pushed around.

If not for Husso allowing four goals per game and Chiarot/Holl/Petry being terrible NHLers the Wings would be a lock for the playoffs already.

Raymond/DeBrincat/Kane are all small wingers and are pretty much locks to be here for a while (unless Kane's hip disintegrates). Berggren doesn't have a place.

Flip him for a mid-20s D who can help the team for six+ years and let him start his real NHL career.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
What on earth are you even talking about? This isnt a video game where you SIM seasons in 5 minutes and an NHL player appears. It’s not the NFL or NBA either, where kids play right away.

You draft types of players with certain skill sets, and hope you’re good enough to help develop them into NHL players. Throwing in the towel when kids are 20-21 screams, of having absolutely no idea how things work.
Im not talking about Hanas...

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
With all that said, it’s still just a lot of complaining and frustration surrounding Berggren, and impatience over prospects not being where YOU want to see them 21 and under…. You’re complaining over a 21 year old goalie with a .905 save percentage in the AHL? Why? He’s right on track. He’s a goalie. Nobody has any idea at this point, whether he was the better pick or not. I would’ve taken the Swede over him too, but nobody knows at this point. I wouldn’t have taken a goalie in the 1st Round. It’s a 4-5 year process before you can tell anything.

A lot of your complaints are 2-3 years early. Four years ago, they didn’t have any prospects to develop. They now have more 200+ NHL prospects than anyone else. Let them develop.

As for Berggren, the reality still remains, who’s he taking a spot from??? Fabbri? Veleno? Rasmussen? Kane? Perron? Debrincat? Compher? Larkin? Sprong?

Every single one of those guys, is a better NHL player right now.

They simply don’t need what he’s currently offering. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad player and I’m saying trade him for the sake of trading him. But if he’s asking to be traded, that also changes things. Plus, because he isn’t designed to play a checking role as well, his opportunity is different than a Mazur, Hanas, or Soderblom. Even a Savage or Danielson.

The goal is to win NHL games. You need players like Fischer and Kostin on your 4th line. So it limits where Berggren fits. He has to be better than those top 9 players I mentioned. He’s just not right now.

There’s a lot of great things coming in Detroit. You have to have patience with prospects though. They have to be put in positions to succeed when their time in the NHL comes. They did the right thing by adding vets right now. Maybe they over did it on the backend, but that will all clean itself up, sooner than you may think.

Detroit fans were spoiled for a long time. They didn’t have to deal with waiting for players to develop. Nobody sat on pins and needles, waiting for Dastyuk, Zetterberg, etc. They just appeared on good teams. Holland left this team in a disaster state. Literally empty of talent. It’s come a long way in 4 years. It takes time though, and a lot of Detroit fans aren’t used to that.
Ya that's it just alot of complaining. Who says hes on track? You? We don't know if he'll ever be anything. What we do know is the guy everyone said was the best goalie from Sweden since Lundqvist has a 935% as a 21 year old. Shouldnt even be up for debate who would have been the better pick

200+ prospects? More than other teams developing? Lmaoo don't know how you came up with that math . I do know outside our first rounders I'm not getting overly excited on other guys. Hanas for example will be 22 next month, will he make the team next year? Easy no ,that means he wont be ready till hes 24 ... how many players who make the league as a 24 year old turn out to be a impact guy?

I'm not as confident about all these guys as you are. We got excited for years with hakans picks and as much as I love the guy its been a long time since he hit a homerun

I told you already I'd have zero problems dealing fabbri. I dont care that hes red hot now is the time to move him. He will get hurt again,I'd be beyond shocked if he played every game till the end

Perron and sprong wont be resigned. Wouldnt think twice to deal one of them now. I'd take berggren over them

They over did it with the veterans not just the back end. I'm sorry but we also need the kids. We wont win the cup until our prospects show up and you keep talking about about needing to play a style of hockey to win but we also need guys with offensive talent which he has. More than veleno etc...

Has nothing to do with being spoiled with datsyuk etc... you've just convinced yourself our prospects will hit cause its yzerman. Think in his first year all we have is seider and possibly soderblom. It's far from guaranteed these guys after 1st round will not only make it but be impactful guys

Last edited:

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I was looking for younger more mobile player. But I doubt Berggren is offensive enough for what Hughes is looking for. We already Have that player in Roy.
Agreed. He’ll blend in with the team. I know HUGO are putting an emphasis on size and skill. I’m looking forward to clearing the roster with the old to actually see what the kids can do!!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Berggren is an offensively gifted player and will no doubt prove that when he becomes a NHL full timer. My complaint about him is he's too soft. While I like the idea of having a young healthy 22 year old offensive winger on the team, old man David Perron is a much better and more complete player and important part of the Wings winning games right now.

Wings may as well keep Berggren around on side duty until his Waivers expire. If SFY is pushing for a playoff spot then keeping Fabbri and Perron in the lineup is crucial. Berggren can continue being a PLUG.

SFY probably calls up Soderblom next time there's an injury. That's the importance of depth, even tho that hasn't worked out since the unfortunate event of losing all of Larkin, Compher, Kostin, Perron and Fabbri playing through injury. Too much loss of center depth to sustain a winning streak.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Agreed. He’ll blend in with the team. I know HUGO are putting an emphasis on size and skill. I’m looking forward to clearing the roster with the old to actually see what the kids can do!!
Just noticed on Habs board Zegras could be guy we after. He sounds like more offensive player we need. But I don't know west conf. well. Or what Ducks would want?

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Berggren should play in a top 6 role. That's where you get the most out of him. And to my knowledge he has never had a real chance to play in the top 6 in Detroit.
Correct but who are you going to kick out of the top 6 to make room for him?

And let's say you move someone down the lineup for him to play in the top 6. How long are you going to give him until you realize it isn't going to work? As @Petes2424 already said, he has like 5 games left until he is no longer waiver exempt, so he better show up in those 5 games or we get screwed and need to trade him from a position of weakness rather than strength.

I know you probably don't know, but I have been saying berggren needs top 6 minutes because that is what his game is. The problem is we don't have the availability at this point or the time to allow him to start getting comfortable in the top 6. Yzerman/lalonde have finally said they are hoping for a playoff spot this year which is crazy because they refused to say that at any point, even up to the first handful of games this year.

If he went to a montreal, chicago, anaheim, etc he could probably stay in the top 6 for quite awhile if not forever. I like berggren and his game except for his defensive ineptitude but he has tremendous skill.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Just noticed on Habs board Zegras could be guy we after. He sounds like more offensive player we need. But I don't know west conf. well. Or what Ducks would want?

Ducks aren't trading you Zegras. That's message board fantasy. Teams don't trade their young stars unless you're dealing back a better star.

Reactions: FlyguyOX and pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Ducks aren't trading you Zegras. That's message board fantasy. Teams don't trade their young stars unless you're dealing back a better star.
Apologies from sane Habs fans.

Zegras would cost Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf or Guhle (Anaheim's needs define who they might ask for) , as a starting point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad