Red Wings gearing up for playoff push

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The ONLY take away from this article is that the Coaches and players don't want to give up. That's it.

And good on them; that's literally what they get when paid to do. I'd be awfully concerned if Mantha was talking about anything other than playing his best hockey.
Good lord.

Teams should be trying to play their best hockey regardless of whether or not they make playoffs.

The joke is that Regner even treats that as a serious possibility.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The joke is worrying this much about a fluff piece. If the idea bothers you that much just don't read the article.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Casual fans don't read articles on NHL.com.
They see headlines in the sports section while reading articles about football or basketball.

The article doesn't piss me off.

I was too busy laughing to be pissed off.

We'll call it buffer content then. NHL gets fed out to online news RSS feeds to sites such as Yahoo.com. So casual fans with a hint of interest in hockey do see the headlines show up if they use Yahoo. I mean NHL.com wrote a long article about Arizona Coyotes winning 3 games in a row. I'm sure it was read by less than 100 people and the article has a whopping 3 comments all by Toronto fans complaining refs handed Arizona the win in their recent game.

And you're surprised NHL.com popped out an article about Detroit? Detroit has a bigger market than Coyotes and they still produce content PHX when they won 3 freaking games. LOL!

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
We'll call it buffer content then. NHL gets fed out to online news RSS feeds to sites such as Yahoo.com. So casual fans with a hint of interest in hockey do see the headlines show up if they use Yahoo. I mean NHL.com wrote a long article about Arizona Coyotes winning 3 games in a row. I'm sure it was read by less than 100 people and the article has a whopping 3 comments all by Toronto fans complaining refs handed Arizona the win in their recent game.

And you're surprised NHL.com popped out an article about Detroit? Detroit has a bigger market than Coyotes and they still produce content PHX when they won 3 freaking games. LOL!

Am I surprised Art Regner, employed by the Detroit Red Wings, wrote a puff piece article that was nothing but fantasy?

That would be like being surprised that a Trump PR article wrote about how "America was great again," or an Obama PR article wrote about how "great Obamacare is."

Newsflash - when the subject of the article pays the writer for the story - don't expect anything other than sugarcoated trash.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I don't understand why some are so bothered by this. And why are people calling out the writer for writing a fluff/PR/fantasy piece. It seems to me that the Red Wings had a team meeting and when he asked them about the team meeting the players and coach talked about playing better and making a playoff push. I don't think he decided to write some pro-playoff push article and went hunting for quotes about it. The quotes came to him from asking about the meeting and he wrote the article.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't understand why some are so bothered by this. And why are people calling out the writer for writing a fluff/PR/fantasy piece. It seems to me that the Red Wings had a team meeting and when he asked them about the team meeting the players and coach talked about playing better and making a playoff push. I don't think he decided to write some pro-playoff push article and went hunting for quotes about it. The quotes came to him from asking about the meeting and he wrote the article.

Exactly this. It always baffles me how worked up some people get over things like this.

Players are bred to compete, you ask any team (players that is) that are not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and they will tell you that their goal is to get into the playoffs.

I think since a lot on here want the Wings to do poorly, reading something like this upsets them because it goes against what they want to happen. Personally I dont want the Wings to make the playoffs, because I would prefer a chance at Dahlin over getting killed in the first round of the playoffs, but an article that discusses the players wanting to compete is not going to upset me in the slightest.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Well you're one of the complainers, so obviously you see it that way.
Partisan hockey fandom.
:sarcasm:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The key word missing from the thread title is "players." The Red Wings players are gearing up for a playoff push.

Because that's what you do. Most pro athletes hate losing more than they enjoy winning.
Do people really think any of the players on that team want to miss the playoffs? Even when you're getting blown out in a game, you buckle down and try to convince yourself just to worry about getting the next goal.

I'd be a helluva lot more worried if there was a quote from Zetterberg saying "well making the playoffs is virtually impossible so these next games are glorified scrimmages to us."

Reactions: kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I feel like those complaining about other people getting worked up are, ironically, the most worked up of them all.

Highly doubt that lol. Look, speaking for myself, people can get worked up all they want, its not my stress levels rising. I just dont get it, seems silly to me. If anything I get a kick out of seeing the reactions. Kind of like watching Red Wedding video's on youtube. :laugh:

The key word missing from the thread title is "players." The Red Wings players are gearing up for a playoff push.

Because that's what you do. Most pro athletes hate losing more than they enjoy winning.
Do people really think any of the players on that team want to miss the playoffs? Even when you're getting blown out in a game, you buckle down and try to convince yourself just to worry about getting the next goal.

I'd be a helluva lot more worried if there was a quote from Zetterberg saying "well making the playoffs is virtually impossible so these next games are glorified scrimmages to us."

Exactly. You cant expect players not to play at 100% when they still mathematically have a chance, its this type of motivation and determination along with natural skill-set that got them here. If they did give up, whats from stopping them from giving up when they do have a chance X amount of years down the road. Is it fair as fans to ask the players "When we want you to tank because we feel you have no shot , you shouldn't really care, but when we think you have a chance, you're a bum if you dont put in 110%!".

Now management is a different story, this is the point where they should be trading some vets and playing kids. Also, when a good player goes on IR (think JVR in the year TO got AM), if he misses the season, oh well.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Highly doubt that lol. Look, speaking for myself, people can get worked up all they want, its not my stress levels rising. I just dont get it, seems silly to me. If anything I get a kick out of seeing the reactions. Kind of like watching Red Wedding video's on youtube. :laugh:
It's all a matter of perspective.

Some people get annoyed by seeing things in the media that they disagree with.
Some people get annoyed by seeing people complain about marginal stories that really have no impact at the end of the day(in their minds)

I get the anger at the headline, but the content is such.... uh non-content that it doesn't matter.
If it was an article with a quote from KH about thinking the playoffs was a possibility and they should do everything in their power to make it, I would be a lot more sympathetic to their woes.

Reactions: kliq

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
what a joke thread and overreaction by the usual posters. nowhere in this article does it say wings MANAGEMENT is gearing up for the playoffs. quite the contrary, we have seen other articles already mentioning the wings are selling at the deadline.

this was nothing more than a pointless fluff piece with cookie cutter responses by players.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Red Wings are getting set to run the table, 32-0 the rest of the way, let's go baby!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad