Red Wings gearing up for playoff push

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Oh good lord, no...this is continued Blashill & Holland insanity at its finest. :facepalm:

Thankfully, they lack the talent to actually be embarrassed even more.

upload_2018-1-31_10-20-23.png

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The appropriate response isn't "lol we suck," it's "we have to focus on developing our younger players and getting them going at the highest level."
"Playing at the highest level"...Also known as "trying to win games"

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not at all. Trying to win games is a very short term focus. Developing players to reach their maximum potential is a long term process.

And I would hope that the end results, and certainly aspirations, of bringing prospects along to maximize their growth, is much more than just trying to win games.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I wouldn't worry about these articles. The product on the ice can't back up their talk. Any remotely informed fan understands that the Wings aren't making the playoffs for at least three more years.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think your attempts at misrepresentation of other people's opinions are shockingly shallow.

The only thing shocking is seeing the people shocked that competitive athletes and coaches who are paid big money to be competitive are clinging on to their competitive pedigree through-out a time of hopelessness. I think it'd be more discouraging if our competitive athletes and coaches throw in the towel since trying to stay competitive would be too hard for them, resulting in a preferred method with opting for what's easier for a princess team.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nobody is asking the players to focus on next year. The team still trying to win each and every game is just fine.

The point being made is that it's stupid to write an article about it. There's nothing new or informative or even interesting about what was said. It's literally a handful of paragraphs to elaborate on, "still here, still trying".
NHL.com isn't exactly the bastion of hard-hitting journalism. But just like there's nothing new or informative in this piece, there's nothing new in saying "Wings are bad, need to draft and develop new players". There will be plenty of time for those articles when the Wings are either mathematically eliminated or at least after they've committed to selling at the TDL which effectively is pulling the plug on the team this year. Are we really going to go through a ~5 year rebuild freaking out everytime someone in the Wings organization says they want to make the playoffs?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
NHL.com isn't exactly the bastion of hard-hitting journalism. But just like there's nothing new or informative in this piece, there's nothing new in saying "Wings are bad, need to draft and develop new players".
Which means there was no need to write an article at all, which is my point. Update people when there's either new information, or at least a new take on existing information.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
The appropriate response isn't "lol we suck," it's "we have to focus on developing our younger players and getting them going at the highest level." Pretending like this team is going somewhere in the playoffs is nonsense and insults everybody involved. It's lazy propaganda.

Apparently the Wings org would rather lie and sell some tickets than tell the truth and face the music. That's gross. It might be good business, but it's dishonest and manipulative.

Settle down. They interviewed the coach and some of the players. Teaching young ones to not give up and try hard regardless is, in fact, how you develop them.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's like asking a team that's down 0-3 in a 7-game series to talk about what they're going to do to be better next season. We may have a 2% chance at playoffs but until we're technically eliminated the players and coaches simply can not talk as if they've given up. It's not about propaganda or lies it's just how sports works. You think Belarus talked about the development of their next generation when they went up against a superstar Sweden team in the 2002 Olympic quarterfinals? No, the bastards fooled themselves into thinking they had a chance and made history. You think Sweden gave up when they were down 1-5 after half the game against a dominant Finland in the 2003 WC Quarters? No, that team with among others Zetterberg didn't give up and they won that game 6-5 and every swede old enough to remember that game remembers it as fondly as any Gold Medal. Crazy things happen in sports. It will probably not happen for this team but the last thing you want is the players and coach throwing in the towel with almost half the season left.
I don't expect the players or the coach to do anything but try to win. That should always be their goal. I take issue with (1) that the Wings org is still publishing this stuff, and (2) that the article seems to suggest that management is looking forward to the playoffs as well, which is totally untrue.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Nobody is asking the players to focus on next year. The team still trying to win each and every game is just fine.

The point being made is that it's stupid to write an article about it. There's nothing new or informative or even interesting about what was said. It's literally a handful of paragraphs to elaborate on, "still here, still trying".

In the minute chance that they actually do go on a run, it would be relevant. But then again we're talking about sports journalism. It's just not that serious. Even if they straight up lied to his face and play out the stretch like they dgaf, he has nothing to lose by writing this.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The only thing shocking is seeing the people shocked that competitive athletes and coaches who are paid big money to be competitive are clinging on to their competitive pedigree through-out a time of hopelessness. I think it'd be more discouraging if our competitive athletes and coaches throw in the towel since trying to stay competitive would be too hard for them, resulting in a preferred method with opting for what's easier for a princess team.

Right.
This isn't about the players and coach.
It's about the story on NHL.com that looks f***ing ridiculous.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Settle down. They interviewed the coach and some of the players. Teaching young ones to not give up and try hard regardless is, in fact, how you develop them.

And the writer needs to have the f***ing common sense not to write this story at this juncture.

10 points out of a playoff spot with 4 teams in between?
Good Lord.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Are we really going to go through a ~5 year rebuild freaking out everytime someone in the Wings organization says they want to make the playoffs?
Until this organization proves they're actually going to go into an actual rebuild and stop trying to make the playoffs while they do it, yes. They've made dumb, short-sighted moves the last few years, so it's natural to be a little hesitant until we know they're really serious. Management has to earn the fans' trust again.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
To put a little math behind this - which would have made the article more informative - if Philly goes 0.500 in their remaining games, getting 33 points, Detroit would need to go 20-10-4 down the stretch to claim the Wild Card. Assuming no other team in the mix has a better stretch run.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
To put a little math behind this - which would have made the article more informative - if Philly goes 0.500 in their remaining games, getting 33 points, Detroit would need to go 20-10-4 down the stretch to claim the Wild Card. Assuming no other team in the mix has a better stretch run.

Yes, but it's much easier to go "heeeeey that one team did it that one year, sooooooo ... why not us?" Any team that's not mathematically eliminated can say that. Any serious analysis will show how little in common these teams or their circumstances have with the ones that pulled off a last-minute run. It's just a fluff piece about cloudy with a slight chance of meatballs. Read it (or better yet, don't) for what it is.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The ONLY take away from this article is that the Coaches and players don't want to give up. That's it.

And good on them; that's literally what they get when paid to do. I'd be awfully concerned if Mantha was talking about anything other than playing his best hockey.
Good lord.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Right.
This isn't about the players and coach.
It's about the story on NHL.com that looks ****ing ridiculous.

The article wasn't written for you or for me. It was probably written for the casual fan that doesn't really follow the Red Wings, but remember Red Wings use to be a dynasty, and now are going to miss 2 consecutive playoff appearances. Being it is NHL.com, they are writing for fans of the National Hockey League, not the Detroit Red Wings fans. Maybe to inspire more ticket sales next time Detroit visits random city [like Dallas or Washington], for example.

Why does an article posted on NHL.com piss you off so much? They also post articles about 'Yotes and other garbage teams from time to time just so they can feel relevant. Maybe NHL.com wants DRWs name to be read about every now and then since we're not doing anything else special. Regardless, the article wasn't intended for you.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I just don't see a situation where this team is good enough to win enough games to make the playoffs, and it's bad for the long-term outlook for the team.

To win that many games, you need to play good.
So, either the younger players play really well (I.E., they developed)
Or, the "crappy" players on "too long of contracts" are better than y'all think and played a half a season of dominant hockey. (I.E., good players locked up for several years)
...or, in reality to win that many games, both the kids and the crappy players play really well

It reeeeally just seems like people want to find ways to complain about everything

Reactions: SirloinUB

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I wouldn't worry about these articles. The product on the ice can't back up their talk. Any remotely informed fan understands that the Wings aren't making the playoffs for at least three more years.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
"I'm worried because Blash
I just don't see a situation where this team is good enough to win enough games to make the playoffs, and it's bad for the long-term outlook for the team.

To win that many games, you need to play good.
So, either the younger players play really well (I.E., they developed)
Or, the "crappy" players on "too long of contracts" are better than y'all think and played a half a season of dominant hockey. (I.E., good players locked up for several years)
...or, in reality to win that many games, both the kids and the crappy players play really well

It reeeeally just seems like people want to find ways to complain about everything

"I'm worried because Blashill said in a random interview they are going to try harder" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Without trying to sound too redundant, the Red Wings are aware it's now or never for them to string a significant number of victories together if they're going to make the playoffs.]

The first sentence summed it up. I don't see what the big deal is? They acknowledge that the team isn't good...

If you re-wrote it in one paragraph, it would be:

"Ken Holland believed the Red Wings could still compete for the playoffs, but they are well outside the #3 spot in their division and time is running out. The coach and players know they need to be better if they still want to make it. It's not completely impossible that they go on a run similar to the Hammond backed Senators from a few seasons back, but the Red Wings have yet to show they have the ability to do that this season. We will see in the upcoming 34 games."

This almost makes me hope they do make the playoffs, because the blow up in here is going to be hilarious.

On a somewhat related note however, I can't remember where I saw it but some type of fantasy site was ranking teams remaining schedules as of yesterday and Detroit was something like 3rd from last when going from easiest to hardest. Tampa had the easiest.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The article wasn't written for you or for me. It was probably written for the casual fan that doesn't really follow the Red Wings, but remember Red Wings use to be a dynasty, and now are going to miss 2 consecutive playoff appearances. Being it is NHL.com, they are writing for fans of the National Hockey League, not the Detroit Red Wings fans. Maybe to inspire more ticket sales next time Detroit visits random city [like Dallas or Washington], for example.

Why does an article posted on NHL.com piss you off so much? They also post articles about 'Yotes and other garbage teams from time to time just so they can feel relevant. Maybe NHL.com wants DRWs name to be read about every now and then since we're not doing anything else special. Regardless, the article wasn't intended for you.

Casual fans don't read articles on NHL.com.
They see headlines in the sports section while reading articles about football or basketball.

The article doesn't piss me off.

I was too busy laughing to be pissed off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->