Red Wings at the Deadline II

Status
Not open for further replies.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Yea, and the fourth line is fine for the Red Wings. Do people want to roll four scoring lines :laugh:

What does upgrading the 4th line have to do with scoring? It's not like we have the best 4th line in the league. It's not a very big or intimidating line. It rarely comes up with timely goals. No one on that line will likely ever be able to claim an Olympic venture or a Selke award. I think the reason everyone is so obsessed with it is because we had an ineffective, vanilla hodgepodge of a 4th line for a few years running there. I do think it's a great 4th line, but it's not above a one-player tweak.

That said, and like I said above, there's no point in upgrading our 4th line unless someone falls into our laps on the waiver wire or the like. It's highly unlikely that we'll lose games because or 4th line wasn't up to snuff.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Yes this is a pipe dream but hear me out. The Sens are out of the hunt. He may want out. Them being in our division is a road block but that could be overcome by a mutually beneficial deal or a 3 way deal. They would be foolish not to listen to a package containing Mantha, Sproul, 2015 1st, Larkin,....more stuff....lol. I don't think it would take all of them but they are all valuable pieces with which to entice them. If they can put 3 young studs on their team and one is a big offensive defenceman they would have to consider it.

KH for president if he pulls off a deal that brings Karlsson to Detroit. Sen fans and every PO bound team in the East would be howling, but I can't imagine another single player that would give the Wings more cred as a serious contender.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Yes this is a pipe dream but hear me out. The Sens are out of the hunt. He may want out. Them being in our division is a road block but that could be overcome by a mutually beneficial deal or a 3 way deal. They would be foolish not to listen to a package containing Mantha, Sproul, 2015 1st, Larkin,....more stuff....lol. I don't think it would take all of them but they are all valuable pieces with which to entice them. If they can put 3 young studs on their team and one is a big offensive defenceman they would have to consider it.
I hear ya but Karlsson has arguably more trade value than OEL

What does upgrading the 4th line have to do with scoring? It's not like we have the best 4th line in the league. It's not a very big or intimidating line. It rarely comes up with timely goals. No one on that line will likely ever be able to claim an Olympic venture or a Selke award. I think the reason everyone is so obsessed with it is because we had an ineffective, vanilla hodgepodge of a 4th line for a few years running there. I do think it's a great 4th line, but it's not above a one-player tweak.

That said, and like I said above, there's no point in upgrading our 4th line unless someone falls into our laps on the waiver wire or the like. It's highly unlikely that we'll lose games because or 4th line wasn't up to snuff.
Nothing, any scoring the fourth line does is icing on the cake. No, they aren't very big or intimidating but when was the last time the Red Wings had a fourth line like that? I can see your reasoning behind timely goals, the grind line certainly came up with them.

All this fourth line talk just seems silly to me. Yea, in a perfect world you want an upgrade everywhere you can but it isn't a perfect world. Bring up Callahan for a look. He has 30something points in GR this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actual Thought*

I hear ya but Karlsson has arguably more trade value than OEL
Unless he wants out. Any player can get traded. He may quietly say to management "Please trade me".

KH for president if he pulls off a deal that brings Karlsson to Detroit. Sen fans and every PO bound team in the East would be howling, but I can't imagine another single player that would give the Wings more cred as a serious contender.

That is exactly why you go after him. He isn't another project. He is young. In the Wing's system he would flourish. Go get em Kenny!

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Just curious, why? I only browsed through the thread but it seems most Red Wing fans don't understand what a fourth line should be composed of.

They are the lunch pail brigade. The playoffs reward hard work, will, and tenacity. That's typically your 4th line's bread and butter. You rely on them to set the tone and bring the energy. And eat minutes. And take a few punches. And get their kidneys beaten to a pulp when they keep possession along the boards.

So yeah, if your 4th line isn't up to the task, you're pretty ****ed.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
They are the lunch pail brigade. The playoffs reward hard work, will, and tenacity. That's typically your 4th line's bread and butter. You rely on them to set the tone and bring the energy. And eat minutes. And take a few punches. And get their kidneys beaten to a pulp when they keep possession along the boards.

So yeah, if your 4th line isn't up to the task, you're pretty ****ed.
But you just described the Red Wings fourth line, whether you want to admit it or not. Glendening is a scrub all of a sudden? The same player than can draw a penalty a game in the playoffs? Then you have Miller, who is arguably the least appreciated player on the team around these woods. You rarely, rarely see him make a mistake. Not to mention those two, along with Jimmy, was the best PK unit in the league before Howard's injury. And Andersson, while not the best player in the world, isn't as bad as this board makes him out to be.

You want an upgrade for Andersson? Fine. But I don't think people should be acting as if the Red Wings fourth line is some hinderance to the team when it's not.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
But you just described the Red Wings fourth line, whether you want to admit it or not. Glendening is a scrub all of a sudden? The same player than can draw a penalty a game in the playoffs? Then you have Miller, who is arguably the least appreciated player on the team around these woods. You rarely, rarely see him make a mistake. Not to mention those two, along with Jimmy, was the best PK unit in the league before Howard's injury. And Andersson, while not the best player in the world, isn't as bad as this board makes him out to be.

You want an upgrade for Andersson? Fine. But I don't think people should be acting as if the Red Wings fourth line is some hinderance to the team when it's not.

It occurs to me that we're having a bit of a miscommunication. I was indeed describing our 4th line.

I thought the discussion was whether Andersson or whoever was back there or not, who really cares since the 4th line doesn't really matter. I see now that you were liking the 4th line as it is, as do I.

I do still feel that the 4th line is pretty important.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nice dream. Highly unrealistic, but in a perfect world it would happen. He's stuck on a bad Senators team with an owner who won't spend money, we have a glaring lack of an offensively gifted right-handed d-man. Alfie needs to call him and convince him to ask for that trade.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
My word would OEL look great in a Wings uniform. The ease that Marchenko had to get the puck off the boards to Smith was refreshing to see though.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What would it take for Yandle?

Like Pulks and XO/Marchenko?!

i think trading ouellet for yandle would be a mistake

X is very likely to become a very good #3 dman, likely better then dekeyser in the long run, so including him plus other great assets is a mistake

pulkinnen, 2016 1st rounder and smith

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Chris Stewarts showing a pulse all of a sudden, must want to play his way out. I think he goes to someone in our division.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Sproul would probably be the highest rated level prospect I'd be willing to trade and I doubt teams would see him as enough to send us something worthwhile.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Sproul would probably be the highest rated level prospect I'd be willing to trade and I doubt teams would see him as enough to send us something worthwhile.

I would never trade a CHL Dman of the year for an average/depth dman or forward

Sproul just needs development time

do not throw him away like trash for a dime a dozen player(petry)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I hope we get that defenseman we need be it Zid or Yandle

I also hope we get Neil to beef up the roster for the playofffs.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Nothing, any scoring the fourth line does is icing on the cake. No, they aren't very big or intimidating but when was the last time the Red Wings had a fourth line like that? I can see your reasoning behind timely goals, the grind line certainly came up with them.

All this fourth line talk just seems silly to me. Yea, in a perfect world you want an upgrade everywhere you can but it isn't a perfect world. Bring up Callahan for a look. He has 30something points in GR this year.

I wanted to sign Brian Boyle this summer. It would have cost nothing more than cap space and he ended up signing for a lot less than some on here thought it would cost to sign him. He's got the size Babock likes and he's a consistent 10+ goal scorer. Never been close to 100 PIMs in a single season. He'd have been a perfect fit as a clear upgrade over Andersson. I think Andersson is good at his role so I have no problem with him in the lineup.

I just don't see anyone who hits all those checkboxes and would be available via trade. Better for Holland to focus on upgrading his defense if he makes any moves at all.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Honestly, going through all these trade proposals (both here and on the net) I haven't seen one that I loved. They're just too high priced and/or add little to our team--the the Myers trade scenarios seem the worst of all.

I think KH's best option is just to try to move "extra" pieces like Kindl, Monster or Andersson for some picks. We have a lot of kids to make room for.

Actual Thought*

I think there is a strong chance Holland stands pat. I am okay with that. If he lands Karlsson I am okay with that too. Yandle? Myers? Nah.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Trade Ericsson + Pulkkinen + 2016 1st to Arizona for Yandle.

Kronwall - Dekeyser
Yandle - Quincey
Smith - Ouellet/Marchenko

Great looking top-6

OR

Trade Smith + Pulkkinen to Arizona for Yandle

Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekseyser - Yandle
Quincey - Ouellet/Marchenko

Yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.