Red Wings at the Deadline II

Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
A true upgrade for Andersson would always be welcomed.

An upgrade over Andersson wouldn't be a 4th line change. Personally I'd try to find a way to keep Andy in the lineup full time. He makes that checking line with Miller and Glendening much better. The Michigan kids get most of the credit for the PK, but at 5on5 it's Andy down low that really drives the shifts that hem the opposition in. Very strong and very strong on the puck.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
I do not think that Andersson is a bad player. I really don't. I am satisfied with him in his role bu I do think another player with an edge to his game could be an upgrade. Somethin along the lines of another Glendening or a maltby type player.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I do not think that Andersson is a bad player. I really don't. I am satisfied with him in his role bu I do think another player with an edge to his game could be an upgrade. Somethin along the lines of another Glendening or a maltby type player.

not cheap to get those and considering our short and long-term roster needs and strengths, i don't think they'll go after 4th liner.

i want at least top 4 D, preferably RH and guy who can push ericsson down the depth chart.

next one would be top 6 sniper what i don't see happening. not a lot of good options.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

If we had room for someone like Nastasiuk, I think he would be a perfect fit with Miller and Glendening.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I agree that the 4th line is different with Andersson on it. I couldn't tell you exactly what it is that he brings to make that line click, but it's noticeable, to me anyway. The way they played to start the year made them the best 4th line in the league. Then Babs moved away from using them against the other team's top line and they sat Andy for stretches and they kind of lost the magic.

The personnel of that dominant 4th line from earlier in the year is still there. Hands off, I say.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

In my opinon, it's always a gamble to assume an AHL player will immediately be able to figure out and adapt to NHL game.

I too wish Andy had extra offensive spark in his game but like Norris nick said, I think he does a good job of what you want from a 4th line player. Personally I like how he pressure and forecheck using his big body. He also does decent job of cycling. I think he is definitely contributing to the team. though he tends to fall off time to time

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Why do we need to trade for fourth line grit when we have Callahan and Ferraro who fit those roles perfectly? I'm all for getting rid of Andersson to make room.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
In my opinon, it's always a gamble to assume an AHL player will immediately be able to figure out and adapt to NHL game.

I too wish Andy had extra offensive spark in his game but like Norris nick said, I think he does a good job of what you want from a 4th line player. Personally I like how he pressure and forecheck using his big body. He also does decent job of cycling. I think he is definitely contributing to the team. though he tends to fall off time to time

I would agree that it's a gamble to project the impact of a prospect transition to the NHL however I think the learning curve for a hustle, gritty defensive pest is far more simple and easy to ckimb. It's why guys like Abdelkader and Helm made such immediate contributions so early. Step in, bring energy, pursue pucks and make it hard for your opponent.

That being said, the idea of having a guy like Callahan filling in with Miller and Glendening makes for a potentially amazing shutdown line. Probably better In terms of play style than Andersson.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Andy has been a solid two way forward for the Wings in his limited role. He works hard and doesn't take any shifts off.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
For a 13th forward - which is what he is when everyone is healthy - I don't think we can have any complaints about Andersson. Certainly, when it wasn't too long ago that our 10th, 11th and 12th forwards were guys like Emmerton, Samuelsson and Cleary :cry:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
here something I dig from Ducks forum. A post from Sabres fan

Just a few corrections about Myers that I've seen in this thread.

1) Myers is NOT soft. He's actually gotten quite a bit more physical over the years. Is he Pronger/CHara/Stevens physical? ... No .. he's not a very good fighter .. he doesn't hit in open ice much ... But what he will do is clear the crease, hammer guys against the boards behind the net ... and crosscheck the hell out of guys after the whistle ect ect..

2) Myers on the PP ... I don't see Myers being a plus for your PP ... ..

3) His shot- I see his shot being his biggest weakness on being a sucessful PP producer. He really needs to work on it. Takes too long to wind up and isn't very accurate. He does have a nice wrister tho that he utilizes when he fakes a slapshot and skates around a charging defender.

4) .. I think Myers real value comes on the defensive side. His reach and ability to push players off the puck allows him to gain possesion and utilize his skating ability to push the puck up the ice.

5) His passing is "meh"

obviously he may not be the perfect evaluator of the talent but it's in the ballpark of what I've gathered in sabres forum and what I've said in previous thread.

One thing we've not discussed is his transition game. I guess it's kinda nice that he can skate up the ice reliably which may add another dimension to our game.

anywas if we dont trade for Myers our roster post D-Z-Kronner era might look something like this.

Nyquist-Sheahan Mantha
Tatar-Larkin-Pulkkinen
Helm Weiss Jurco
Glendening Andersson

Dekeyser Q
Oullet Smith
Marchy

Mrazek

with Myers trade

Nyquist-Sheahan-Pulkinen
Tatar-Larkin-
Helm Weiss
Glendening Andersson

Dekeyser Myers
Oullet Smith
Marchy Q

Mrazek

which one do you prefer?

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Option number two, because I think the Wings get killed rolling 5 Dmen all the time. :)

...but seriously Z is signed till what 2022? Who knows if Q gets re-signed. Who knows if March, XO, Sproul, etc make Smith expendable. Lots will change before the eurotwins and Kronwall hang em up. The Wings don't HAVE to sign Myers and it looks like the cost to acquire him is going to be way too high.

Duck/Sabre fans talk about Fowler++ for Myers and I say WHOA!

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Maybe I'm off but I think we should go after Adam Larsson from Jersey. Been saying it for awhile now but I see him as top pairing D material (big, rh, smart.) Mantha for Larsson with a small add to our side I think would be nice. Gets to learn from Kronwall and he has been playing a lot better with a coaching change. Jersey also has a ton of young defenseman so they might be interested in dealing from an area of strength.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Option number two, because I think the Wings get killed rolling 5 Dmen all the time. :)

...but seriously Z is signed till what 2022? Who knows if Q gets re-signed. Who knows if March, XO, Sproul, etc make Smith expendable. Lots will change before the eurotwins and Kronwall hang em up. The Wings don't HAVE to sign Myers and it looks like the cost to acquire him is going to be way too high.

Duck/Sabre fans talk about Fowler++ for Myers and I say WHOA!

true lots can happen. a new signing, a new prospect. I'm just going with what we have. hopefully they will be able to find a legit playmaker and if there is no myers, a solid D who can handle 1st pairing duty.

now that I think about it I forgot Ericsson.

personally, I am ever so slightly in favour of the 1st case scenario. but I really have to see Myers game more closely and a Mantha's game to decide.

as for Fowler rumour, I'm not so sure about the accuracy of that rumour.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Maybe I'm off but I think we should go after Adam Larsson from Jersey. Been saying it for awhile now but I see him as top pairing D material (big, rh, smart.) Mantha for Larsson with a small add to our side I think would be nice. Gets to learn from Kronwall and he has been playing a lot better with a coaching change. Jersey also has a ton of young defenseman so they might be interested in dealing from an area of strength.

I agree with your sentiment however Mantha + a little won't pry him out of NJ. He wouldn't cost like what Myers would but he would not be cheap either. I would imagine he would cost pulu+ 2016 1st + Mantha/Larkin. And that to me is a bit too much.

I don't mind giving up Mantha one bit. I don't feel he is a bust or anything but a Larsson or Zhadorov type defender isn't gonna be given for scraps.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Don't get the Andy love. I think the fact that the 4th line has lost its legs is because, well, it's lost its legs. They have been overplayed in tough roles. I'm genuinely worries about their long-term viability, particularly when you're trying to go deep in the playoffs.

Andy is fine but he is nothing special. He works hard and he's "smart". Great. He's also an average skater (as improved) and is soft as butter. There are definitely smart, hard workers out there who can actually hurt you from the 4th line.

With that said, there's no point in upgrading the 4th line unless something lands in our lap via the waiver wire.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
The fourth line isn't going to make or break the Red Wings in the playoffs so I honestly have no idea why anyone is talking about it. They do their job just fine.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
The fourth line isn't going to make or break the Red Wings in the playoffs so I honestly have no idea why anyone is talking about it. They do their job just fine.

I disagree. The 4th line can absolutely make or break us in the playoffs.

Actual Thought*

Weren't you just lecturing me the other day about how "The playoffs are a different animal"? The mere fact you can roll 4 lines is a huge factor in playoff success. Your 4th line can absolutely make or break your chances.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Weren't you just lecturing me the other day about how "The playoffs are a different animal"? The mere fact you can roll 4 lines is a huge factor in playoff success. Your 4th line can absolutely make or break your chances.
Yea, and the fourth line is fine for the Red Wings. Do people want to roll four scoring lines :laugh:

Actual Thought*

Only in our dreams. Would be a great dream though.

Yes this is a pipe dream but hear me out. The Sens are out of the hunt. He may want out. Them being in our division is a road block but that could be overcome by a mutually beneficial deal or a 3 way deal. They would be foolish not to listen to a package containing Mantha, Sproul, 2015 1st, Larkin,....more stuff....lol. I don't think it would take all of them but they are all valuable pieces with which to entice them. If they can put 3 young studs on their team and one is a big offensive defenceman they would have to consider it.

Yea, and the fourth line is fine for the Red Wings. Do people want to roll four scoring lines :laugh:
I think a lot of people do. I like our 4th line. I expect them to be very effective in the playoffs. They can be deployed in a lot of different situations so they give you flexibility. Particularly on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad