Value of: Red Wings 1st in 2024

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
David Savard + #25 ?

Guys like Savard aren't worth that much in offseason trades. On most teams in the league he's no better than a #4D, which is what he'd be in Detroit. Savard isn't a big enough plus to downgrade from the 15th pick to the 25th.

He's likely worth a 2nd alone, or a 3rd+ in the offseason. At the TDL you'll get a bigger premium.

Reactions: Lockin17

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Husso has negative value. Add in the only reason Boston o would trade Swayman is to allocate more money to holes in the rest of the roster. Getting Husso completely eliminates that

A 23yo non regular NHL player, a cap dump and a mid 1st doesn’t get the convo started for Swayman unfortunately
I'd rather target Markstrom to fill the starter slot until Cossa is ready. He could probably be had for less than Ullmark/Swayman.

Buy out Husso and trade for Markstrom is an effective option.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Add Barron and that may be of interest to Detroit.

2024 1st (25th OA) + Barron + Savard for 15th OA.

I'd say no from Detroit. Barron would be lost to waivers.

Seider
Petry
Savard
Holl
Barron

And that's just the right side.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'd say no from Detroit. Barron would be lost to waivers.

Seider
Petry
Savard
Holl
Barron

And that's just the right side.
Yeah, but he's 3rd on that list, so it's fine and I'm not even a fan of Barron

Maybe Detroit goes the cheap route and wants Dvorak to see if he can get back to how he was in Arizona, or better. Problem is, he's not healthy anymore and just as he gets some flow he gets hurt.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I don’t see Detroit spending a 1st for D or G considering the depth and high quality of prospects at those positions. We have a lot of D coming in the next 1-3 years and the current NHL roster is already 7D deep. Would have to be a core piece addition to make sense. Same with goalie. Not much need to spend a bundle on a long term starter with Cossa and Augustine both tracking very well.

The 1st will probably be for a center upgrade. Currently Danielson is the best bet for a good 2C one day. Kasper probably won’t be that. Center is just so thin both on the roster and prospect pool. That’s the only position that makes sense to take your 1st for.

• Haha
Reactions: Hockey Know it all

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Flip a coin. If any team is trading their 1st Rounder, it’s gonna be Detroit. Especially the way this draft is shaping up. Lots of 4-5 year development players will go around 15th this year, and very D Heavy where they’re loaded already.

If they’re holding onto the pick, you’re looking at players like Greentree, Boivert, Sennecke or Michael Hage. All with upside but 4-5 years upside. Hage might be a kid who can blow up after he gets to Michigan next year and be 2-3 years away, but unless a pure shooter like Eiserman drops to 15th, they’ll likely be reaching, or taking another dman. And they have 7-9 of them already progressing well.

So yea, their pick is probably for sale. Maybe in part of a Shea Theodore trade?

We’ll start hearing them connected to a Top 4 dman, or a 2C. Even someone like Buchnevich who can play C or wing. Is there a very skilled young player that had a down year, who another team may not want to pay? Like a Dawson Mercer? Wouldn’t rule them out from being interested in that type of a player either.

Think they’d be interested in a few different situations.

One thing’s for sure. They won’t be handing Patrick Kane 3 years between $7-8 million per. So they’ll likely be involved with Stamkos, Stephenson or Lindholm for that 2C spot, but if there’s a deal for a 2C that can be made prior to UFA season, they’ll be interested.

My guess is they’d prefer to grab a Top 4 guy if they trade the pick, and Theodore would be the type they’d love to have, who’s likely going to be available around the draft. He can play with either Seider or Edvinsson, more likely Edvinsson as he’s played the right side his entire NHL career, and he’d be a perfect fit. Something like 15OA, Wallinder and Maata/Walman would probably get it done.

Vegas just isn’t gonna be able to pay him. If they choose to pay him, and trade Pietrangelo, I can see Detroit being a likely destination for Pietrangelo too. Problem is, Vegas isn’t getting anything in return for him. That trade will be like the McDonagh trade. He’ll pick where he goes, and they may not have to give assets to get rid of him, but the return won’t be much at all.

After the assets Vegas just traded at the deadline, they’ll want to replenish those. Theodore is their best chance to do that. He only has a 5 team NTC and he makes $5.2 million next year. He’s gonna get at least what Hanifin got, and he’s well worth every penny of that. Problem is, after signing Hanifin and trading for Hertl, the writing is now on the wall for Stephenson via UFA, and likely Theodore via trade.

Detroit will be in on Theodore.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see them getting a legit 2C for a #15 in this draft(most think the quality in this draft drops after pick 11-12), unless he has issues of some sort(contract, injury, character).

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Vegas just isn’t gonna be able to pay him. If they choose to pay him, and trade Pietrangelo, I can see Detroit being a likely destination for Pietrangelo too.

Haha, never underestimate Vegas' willingness and ability without any questions from the league, to completely game the LTIR system all year so that they can keep signing whoever they want and whatever price.

Hell by this time next year their playoff roster might have a 115 million dollar payroll. It was what, 97 mil last year? This year its gonna be even more than that, so why not?

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
If we're dealing #15... I'm packaging it with something else to with the aim of landing a legit 2C. Not Elias Lindholm anymore because he signed the big extension... but a player like that. I don't remotely know enough about who is available at that price point and what other move would be necessary to make the roster fit... but I can tell you, the Red Wings do not need any other teams meh to garbage players. Regardless of if you think they fit the criteria for what Ogee said (the Dvorak or Jensen offers are f***in ridiculous).

A solid D man might save Yzerman's job ?
You think Yzerman's job is at risk? lol.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Gary owes us.. I'm going to irrationally hold out hope that they move up to 5 in the draft until it does not happen. Perhaps move next years 1st if necessary.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad