Rebuilding Thread: The Hunt for GM/Coach - Chiarelli fired, McLellan 'leaving' SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
thornton has been nothing but a ****** these last couple of months. running his damn mouth to the media too often.

god i hope he doesn't win a cup. ever.

I think he's tired of San Jose. He's still a great hockey player with great vision but I don't think he can get over that mental hump after all those failures. I think he really needs a fresh start/clean slate somewhere.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Many names have been suggested in this thread for GM. Some from LA, some from Boston.

But wouldn't we want to have a team that is more like Blackhawks than Kings? Chicago has been consistently good; in regular season and playoffs. They even came back from a cap hell in 2010 and then won again in 2013. More importantly, they have been a cup threat for 6th straight year now. As close to a dynasty as it gets in today's NHL.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Many names have been suggested in this thread for GM. Some from LA, some from Boston.

But wouldn't we want to have a team that is more like Blackhawks than Kings? Chicago has been consistently good; in regular season and playoffs. They even came back from a cap hell in 2010 and then won again in 2013. More importantly, they have been a cup threat for 6th straight year now. As close to a dynasty as it gets in today's NHL.

I think based off what we know of Shanahan and Hunter, The team will likely be built on speed and skill rather than size and physicality .

I think it's important that we build the Leafs, As the Leafs; And create our own identity.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

that's my hope. very stable, self-sustaining, and always a threat (+ a few wins).

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
Not interested in either. Chirelli made the worst move of recent history when he traded Seguin for a bag of pucks. McLellan ruined the Sharks over the last couple years, and really has made a mess of his asset management.

Pass.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Not interested in either. Chirelli made the worst move of recent history when he traded Seguin for a bag of pucks. McLellan ruined the Sharks over the last couple years, and really has made a mess of his asset management.

Pass.

Didn't know McLellan was a GM.. :shakehead:help::laugh:

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Chiarelli wasn't in power when that happened. Thomas, Savard, Chara, Rask, Krejci, Bergeron, Kessel, Lucic, Marchand all in place before he took power.

Wrong. Only Bergeron, Krecji and Thomas were. Everyone else was either drafted or signed by Chiarelli.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Chiarelli_(ice_hockey)

Chiarelli was hired on May 26, 2006 as the General Manager of the Boston Bruins. He was signed to a four-year contract.

The 2006 NHL Draft (in which they drafted Lucic, Kessel etc) was in late June.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm fine with whoever they bring in so long as time has been taken to make sure they are the right guys. Unless you hire someone who has never been near the NHL before you are getting someone who either has not taken that level of responsibility or has some kind of failure on their resume. The guys who don't have failure on the resume....still have jobs :laugh:.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
There are going to be 2 scenario's where I can see the Leafs board just losing it on Saturday.

1.) The Leafs win the draft lottery...
2.) A team behind us wins the draft lottery... :laugh:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
There are going to be 2 scenario's where I can see the Leafs board just losing it on Saturday.

3) Edmonton winning the lottery.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Wrong. Only Bergeron, Krecji and Thomas were. Everyone else was either drafted or signed by Chiarelli.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Chiarelli_(ice_hockey)

The 2006 NHL Draft (in which they drafted Lucic, Kessel etc) was in late June.

Sorry but you are completely wrong. Chiarelli was not allowed to assume any power over the organization until well into FA period (July 15) under a deal negotiated with the league by Ottawa.

Chiarelli was not in power until all those players were already in the organization.

Last edited:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

Second one isn't a big problem. We still get one of Strome, Hanifin, or Marner. I'm happy with either.

At first I wanted Strome, then Hanifin... but now I think I want Marner.

Not really sure which is the correct choice.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Sorry but you are completely wrong. Chiarelli was not allowed to assume any power over the organization until well into FA period under a deal negotiated with the league by Ottawa.

Chiarelli was not in power until all those players werealready in the organization.

So interim GM Jeff Gorton ran both the draft, traded Raycroft for Rask and signed Chara and Savard?

Not saying I don't believe you but why wouldn't they just promote Gorton if he was capable of doing all of that himself?...

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So interim GM Jeff Gorton ran both the draft, traded Raycroft for Rask and signed Chara and Savard?

Not saying I don't believe you but why wouldn't they just promote Gorton if he was capable of doing all of that himself?...

Doesn't matter whether you believe me, those are the facts of the matter which you can find anywhere, including NHL.com.

Worth bearing in mind wikipedia is written by pretty much any joe blow at a computer.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If you want to discuss teams in the playoffs, take it to the Around the League thread. This isnt a running playoff GDT. Posts will be deleted as OT.

Discussion of Nashville in relation to its 1st round pick is fine.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Mmmm... McLellan is probably not going anywhere. There is no confirmation on it. We need an old school type of coach though who plays with warriors.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Ideally, teams below NSH in the regular season standing reach the conference finals. So, teams who we don't want to see winning are NYR, MTL, ANA, STL, TB, and NSH.

It doesn't really matter which of the other 10 teams that finish below NSH reach the conference finals, as long as they do, it will be good for our NSH pick in the 1st round. Here's to hoping.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
For coach Dale Hunter. I just don't see Mr Detroit coming to Toronto for a rebuild. I also don't see either of those gm's being who shabby wants or really needs,.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Sorry but you are completely wrong. Chiarelli was not allowed to assume any power over the organization until well into FA period (July 15) under a deal negotiated with the league by Ottawa.

Chiarelli was not in power until all those players were already in the organization.

Yeah and every one played by the rules... And Chara just happened to choose Boston without speaking to the GM who happened to be the guy who was the assistant GM while in Ottawa.

Dont be naive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad