Rebuilding Thread: The Hunt for GM/Coach - Chiarelli fired, McLellan 'leaving' SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah...look how it all turned out. He blew up the farm and couldn't get over the hill.

Talk to me when inexperience can just get us a front seat to view the hill. Still better than anyone else has done the past 48 years.

Seeing Maple Leafs square when the Leafs made the playoffs once a decade confirms my feelings on this.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
yeah and what did Shero do exactly that inspires many to have him here...that he won a cup based on luck? based on having the best player this league has seen since Gretzky? What did he do? His depth sucked all the time, his teams failed miserably in the playoffs most of the time. I want him nowhere near this team. And he also sucked at the draft table.

Well in my own defense I said if we were to hire someone with experience I'd probably take Shero, or McPhee.

What GM with experience is on the market right now that really fits the bill any better? The same things you can say about Shero (aside from Crosby) can be applied to guys like Chia, McPhee, Wilson (if he's fired), etc. These guys are available because they failed (generally speaking). So we're bringing in a failure essentially.

I'd much rather see us get Fenton, Futa, or Brisebois.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Chiarelli is like a minuture Burke, in terms of ego. He traded away Kessel & Seguin - I do not want him.

McLellan may have ruined the SJ lockerroom, with multiple players taking shots - not interested in him.

#BringBackDallasEakins

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015

Originally Posted by WilliamNylander View Post
Joe Thornton: "Todd has to talk to his family. Maybe he should talk to this family as well in here"

Ouch

Geez that Thornton's really something.... didn't he just tell his GM to "shut his mouth" about a month ago??? Even if it was warranted, ugh. Sounds like maybe Joe should be doin' the shuttin' - says a bit about why he's not the Captain anymore.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Experience is overrated. Get smart people. Experience got us into this disaster

well. there are a lot of people who look at the world through a certain lens -i think so many people bang this drum of "do what has always been done before."

all throughout history, people looked at people who thought different as complete insane people, even where you can look at it now, and go. "they were 100 percent, right."

This isn't the case every single time, of course.

Experience is something that you gain with time. You can not get experience, without first being put in the situation to get some, and you'll never get anywhere in life if all your ever told is "come back when you get experience."

Vision/forsight should also be equally as valued, and I hope considered. I'm not pushing either one at the forefront, just that it is all considered and weighed equally. this good ole boys club needs to stop.

Shwaguy*

Don't want a retread GM. Look at most of the successful GM Situations in the league. They're usually assistant GM's on successful teams beforehand.

mikebel111*

Chiarelli is like a minuture Burke, in terms of ego. He traded away Kessel & Seguin - I do not want him.

McLellan may have ruined the SJ lockerroom, with multiple players taking shots - not interested in him.

#BringBackDallasEakins

Lol he didnt ruin that locker room. Sharks fans are even saying Todd isnt at fault here. There are some cancer players in that room. Like Thornton
And yes I would like Eakins, we might go 0-82. Perfect tank coach

Would love Todd here

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Every coach wears out their welcome after a while. Particularly if you've got the same core group of players the entire time.

McLellan was the coach in San Jose for how long? Seven years?

I'd say things ran their natural course.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Dave Naylor just posed a very interesting question on TSN Drive.

If MLSE had a choice today of hiring an experienced winner as the New Team President, Peter Chiarelli or bringing in a guy with no track record that is still learning on the job, as we have in Brendan Shanahan. Who would they hire today?

Not as interesting as you may think. One of the issues with the NHL is the retread of management. One team fire a guy, next team hires that same guy, round & round it went. MLSE went off the reservation & took a new route, Shanahan has looked for new blood & methods as well. So the move by MLSE to break the retread pattern looks intentional.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't get this. A coach or GM is out of the playoffs one year, even though in the case of Chia, he led the team to two Stanley Cup Finals (one that was only two seasons ago) and a Stanley Cup win like 4 years ago. Chara gets injured and that leads him to getting fired because his team was just barely edged out of the playoffs. I think decisions like that are a little bit shortsighted. McLellan makes a little bit of sense. Even though he's led his team to 7 straight playoff years (or whatever it is), he hasn't gotten far in them, so I can see why management would want to let him go. He'd be good here though, I wouldn't mind McLellan.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
I don't get this. A coach or GM is out of the playoffs one year, even though in the case of Chia, he led the team to two Stanley Cup Finals (one that was only two seasons ago) and a Stanley Cup win like 4 years ago. Chara gets injured and that leads him to getting fired because his team was just barely edged out of the playoffs. I think decisions like that are a little bit shortsighted. McLellan makes a little bit of sense. Even though he's led his team to 7 straight playoff years (or whatever it is), he hasn't gotten far in them, so I can see why management would want to let him go. He'd be good here though, I wouldn't mind McLellan.

Ray Ferraro mentions the Chiarelli firing today with Brian Hayes and basically says that things in the Boston front office have always seemed a bit strained.

Hell, there was talk of people getting canned the same year they won the Cup. The fact that a Cup was won is seemingly what saved them. From the outside looking in it seems like Neely has just been waiting for an excuse.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Ray Ferraro mentions the Chiarelli firing today with Brian Hayes and basically says that things in the Boston front office have always seemed a bit strained.

Hell, there was talk of people getting canned the same year they won the Cup. The fact that a Cup was won is seemingly what saved them. From the outside looking in it seems like Neely has just been waiting for an excuse.

and if the leafs had beaten them in 2013, they would have been fired too

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
thornton has been nothing but a ****** these last couple of months. running his damn mouth to the media too often.

god i hope he doesn't win a cup. ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad