Rebuilding Thread: The Hunt for GM/Coach - Chiarelli fired, McLellan 'leaving' SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Because we need a top line C and a top pairing D like those we missed out on in the past. ;)

If our picks from this draft could accomplish that then I would be very happy.

or we can draft our own Ryan Johansen who may not be lighting the league on fire on goals, but he is beastly in his own right.

quite frankly, wishing for a 'Seguin' or a Hamilton (who... basically equals meh) is shooting low. (and i'm not even going to say that RyJo is better/worse than). but why the heck wish to find "Seguin/Hamilton". my goal is much higher than that.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Perhaps the biggest key to success for us moving forward isn't about who we pick in the first round. It's who we find in the later rounds that become capable NHLers, and impact players at the pro level.

We're likely going to need a few home run picks beyond the first round to really round our roster out moving forward. We have some promising guys picked beyond round one who look pretty solid. Bergman is a master at getting European gems in later rounds, and then we have guys like Valiev and Brown who look promising as well.

This is a trend we desperately need to continue and improve upon.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
or we can draft our own Ryan Johansen who may not be lighting the league on fire on goals, but he is beastly in his own right.

quite frankly, wishing for a 'Seguin' or a Hamilton (who... basically equals meh) is shooting low. (and i'm not even going to say that RyJo is better/worse than). but why the heck wish to find "Seguin/Hamilton". my goal is much higher than that.

Seguin's really good though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you had to choose, would you guys have rather seen an Ottawa Senators type run from this core after Carlyle was fired and possibly continue with the up and down seasons of this current group (but playoffs this year), or are you happy to enter a new rebuilding era with a new cast (and no playoffs)?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Perhaps the biggest key to success for us moving forward isn't about who we pick in the first round. It's who we find in the later rounds that become capable NHLers, and impact players at the pro level.

We're likely going to need a few home run picks beyond the first round to really round our roster out moving forward. We have some promising guys picked beyond round one who look pretty solid. Bergman is a master at getting European gems in later rounds, and then we have guys like Valiev and Brown who look promising as well.

exactly. Montreal got McDonaugh, Subban and Patches in one draft. that's what we need to have happen.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
If you had to choose, would you guys have rather seen an Ottawa Senators type run from this core after Carlyle was fired and possibly continue with the up and down seasons of this current group (but playoffs this year), or are you happy to enter a new rebuilding era with a new cast (and no playoffs)?

After seeing the pathetic display from a good portion of our roster in these last few months, I'd say the latter for sure.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

I'm happy with the rebuild. It was long needed. I value long term gain over short term gain, that's what we're seeing here, long term gain, setting the club up for in five years.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON

Yeah the Sens run is really nice, but they hve some young talent. IMO, we severely lack in that department, so while it sucks, it's almost a good thing we're entering this phase.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
The way I see it, the Leafs need 2 defensemen, a centerman and a winger. While it is possible to get them all at the 2015 draft, I very much doubt it will happen. I see Toronto picking the centerman and a defenseman. They may pick the winger as well, depending on whether they get a 1st round pick this season or next for Phil Kessel. They also may get the defenseman in the Phaneuf trade, if they get a prospect who is close.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick

Honestly I'd rather things play out exactly like they have this season. This is a good year to bad draft-wise, and I have no desire to see up and down seasons. I want to see a winner, and this group of players isn't going to be a winner.

The only way this season could have worked out better is if we sucked worse the whole year, or won the Cup.

It's time to enter a new era.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013

If David Nonis actually bothered to promote some of our top Marlies to the senior team more often and we had a coach that was more willing to give them NHL ice time, then maybe our prospect situation wouldn't be so terrible.

The Marlies are fighting for a playoff spot in the AHL. They're not a bad team (though not as good as they used to be). Why aren't these guys given more opportunities to play in the NHL? Why are they giving the college kid Casey Bailey measly 4th line minutes? Why are we giving ice time to warm bodies like Joakim Lindstrom and Eric Brewer?

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
If David Nonis actually bothered to promote some of our top Marlies to the senior team more often and we had a coach that was more willing to give them NHL ice team, then maybe our prospect situation wouldn't be so terrible.

The Marlies are fighting for a playoff spot in the AHL. They're not a bad team (though not as good as they used to be). Why aren't these guys given more opportunities to play in the NHL? Why are they giving the college kid Casey Bailey measly 4th line minutes?

I'd say given the situation both teams are in that the Marlies kids are way better off down in the Marlies. They're in the middle of a good little run for the playoffs and are gaining good experience and forming bonds during the process.

Connor Brown, or Josh Leivo, or Stuart Percy or whoever wouldn't have made this team a play off contender.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

A rebuild Ainec

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Seguin's really good though.

Not saying he isn't. (and maybe I am v. biased because I Love RyJo) but again. simply saying we need to find our own Seguin? I don't know. I aim v. high. :nod: lol let's aim higher than Seguin, if we're wishing :nod:

Hm. this is very difficult. like ideally, yeah, because good draft year or not, you don't want to be horrendous like we are. (and people constantly want to say we don't have a 'lot' of talent, which is true, but we had (before deadline), a lot better pieces than where we were.

so I'm glad that it happened, and it happened early enough that the UFAs were traded, we get assets and we can move on. (if this was sort of like Columbus (injuries + coaching change) or powered by Marlies, i'd def. want a Sens run for sure.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Not saying he isn't. (and maybe I am v. biased because I Love RyJo) but again. simply saying we need to find our own Seguin? I don't know. I aim v. high. :nod: lol let's aim higher than Seguin, if we're wishing :nod:

Hm. this is very difficult. like ideally, yeah, because good draft year or not, you don't want to be horrendous like we are. (and people constantly want to say we don't have a 'lot' of talent, which is true, but we had (before deadline), a lot better pieces than where we were.

so I'm glad that it happened, and it happened early enough that the UFAs were traded, we get assets and we can move on. (if this was sort of like Columbus (injuries + coaching change) or powered by Marlies, i'd def. want a Sens run for sure.

I absolutely love Johansen as well. I just find his game really attractive to watch and his intangibles are amazing. If we could get Barzal as our 2 C somehow like I proposed, I'd be salivating at the thought of Strome/McDavid and Barzal down the middle as our 1-2 centre punch.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto

Hamilton did put up 42 points this year....which isn't "meh" IMO. Unless you're talking about an entirely different Hamilton, in which case I'm a :dunce:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Hamilton did put up 42 points this year....which isn't "meh" IMO. Unless you're talking about an entirely different Hamilton, in which case I'm a :dunce:

:laugh: no. i mean Dougie.
and I don't watch oodles of Bruins hockey, so i'm sure he's good, but for me it's like why are we wanting to get our own Hamilton. i'd rather go out and get our own Keith. if we're wanting to go 'get' something.

i just felt it was a v. subtle. "if we hadn't traded Kessel". we would have them (which we don't know) because we don't know if we'd draft them (yes I get that CSB had Seguin ranked 2nd. (but RyJo went 4th. whose to say we wouldn't have drafted him). whose to say we would have gotten Hamilton.

what we want is a clear cut #1 centre, and a clear cut #1 defenseman. if we're wishing and hoping what they're like. Seguin and Hamilton wouldn't be my default go to. if we're going within the last few draft classes, they still wouldn't be my first choices. again. I'm biased, I :heart: RyJo )

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I hear hunter is in love with Marner, wouldn't be surprised to see Toronto pick him.. but at this point im happy with Mcdavid :D strome marner or hanafin

He, like all of us, likes many players in this draft. He likes Marner, Strome, and even Barzal from what I hear.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Alright, I've done some thinking (well have for the past months leading up to the lottery). Someone tell me if this logic even applies properly.

Buffalo locked up last and has a 20% chance at winning the lottery. Collectively, the other 13 teams that didn't make the playoffs make up the other 80% allocated for the lottery.

If we do the numbers (13.5, 11, 9.5 and 8.5) the 4 teams below Buffalo in the bottom 5 (Arizona, Edmonton, Toronto and Carolina) make up over 40% of that remaining 80 percent. And in total, it's over 60% that a team within the bottom 5 wins the lottery. With that being said, I think the odds are against Buffalo winning the lottery with the collective number of balls in the lottery usurping theirs overall. So with that being said, I predict either Arizona or Toronto will win the lottery based on this. No conspiracy theories. Just a prediction based on numbers and intuition.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
McDavid made the London Knights look like a Peewee team last night. 5 goals in one game and the 5th goal was just insane.

Marner and Domi both got injured that game. London is basically a Peewee team at this point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad