Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The 2 biggest keys to Leafs improved play is;

O course #1 Mike Babcock
&
#2 Trading Phil Kessel.

Babcock is a rock star and worth every penny they're paying him and without Kessel the Leafs were allowed to become a blue collar hard working team that focuses on defense, structure and play a possession game now, and no longer a one and done rush team with weak defense and last goal wins mentality.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

O course #1 Mike Babcock
&
#2 Trading Phil Kessel.

Babcock is a rock star and worth every penny they're paying him and without Kessel the Leafs were allowed to become a blue collar hard working team that focuses on defense, structure and play a possession game now, and no longer a one and done rush team with weak defense and last goal wins mentality.

And goaltending.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I think Reimer's play has something to do with it as well.

Picked up right where he left off, too.

Even Bernier of late.

Sparks made Leafs franchise history, too.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
The Leafs have the 4th best record in the league since 7 December, according to SNet during the Kings/Leafs game on 7 January. How does that not put them in the top 16 for power rankings, which are supposed to be a snapshot in time of the top teams in the league?

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
They're still not close enough to a playoff position yet, to be counted amongst them. But the NHL HAS taken notice of them and that honourable mention is proof of that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's great that Babcock is flexing his muscle and the Leafs are rehabilitating all of their roster players, but they do need to lay low this year and have some lottery luck. There's two building programs going on right now. Building a credible program up and all the cultural stuff that is going on with the big club, as well as the re-stocking of bluechip assets. The first program is going very well, but the second program is going to be the thing that defines the foundation of the team for many years. And we could really use a Matthews, Laine, Puljuhaarvi, Tkachuk, Nylander, etc.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I think it's great that Babcock is flexing his muscle and the Leafs are rehabilitating all of their roster players, but they do need to lay low this year and have some lottery luck. There's two building programs going on right now. Building a credible program up and all the cultural stuff that is going on with the big club, as well as the re-stocking of bluechip assets. The first program is going very well, but the second program is going to be the thing that defines the foundation of the team for many years. And we could really use a Matthews, Laine, Puljuhaarvi, Tkachuk, Nylander, etc.

That second part doesn't concern me at all. We have a good 'Hunter' for young talent.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

O course #1 Mike Babcock
&
#2 Trading Phil Kessel.

And goaltending.

Both true. Goaltending has been up and down this season too.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Ideally we have the top five picks and the late round gems... :laugh:

We already have 3 top five picks in Rielly and Marner and through trade JVR.

2 top tens in Kadri and Nylander.

These are players you can build the future core around these players. The Leafs prospect pool is already deemed to be in the top five of all NHL teams by all scouting experts. That will no doubt still continue to improve, without the need to add another top 5.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And goaltending.

Goaltending is always a factor however Leafs have gotten very inconsistent goaltending this year.

Case in point Bernier is #40 in Sv% among goalies with a .904 in 19 games.

Leafs are where they are in the standings because Babcock is up-coaching the talent level.

&

Leafs are also where they are in the standings because of the goaltending inconsistency which is often feast or famine. When you're sending your starting goalie to the AHL to regain his confidence because you can't play him then goaltending is hurting as much as its helping.

If the Leafs had more consistent goaltending to just league average they would be even higher still as its the one position that you can pinpoint that has let Babcock down. IMO

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

O course #1 Mike Babcock
&
#2 Trading Phil Kessel.

Glad this is getting its recognition. Babcock may have changed the team regardless though - but our team centered around waiting for a flub, and rushing up the ice.

I have watched simple things this year and am astonished by how amazing this team has transitioned. I am sure you have, but watch that breakout - it is smooth and systematic. I remember last year I would watch them play a team like the Bruins and see meat heads chip the puck to the middle on a break out - knowing the players were there, and boom up the ice on us. We would be poking the puck along the boards, forcing things, and getting hemmed in our zone. How many times did a Dman get the puck behind the net and smash it up the boards hoping for a winger (that blew the zone)?

This year we are doing a great job - the players are in the right position in the zone, moving the puck with quick passes to work up the ice.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
That second part doesn't concern me at all. We have a good 'Hunter' for young talent.

It really should. As good of a scout as Hunter is, his odds of hitting a homerun still go up dramatically the higher our 1st.

There is also the risk that we don't trade out pending UFAs if we're in a playoff battle. Not trading some or all of the pending UFAs for extra picks also gives Hunter less to work with.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Goaltending is always a factor however Leafs have gotten very inconsistent goaltending this year.

Case in point Bernier is #40 in Sv% among goalies with a .904 in 19 games.

Leafs are where they are in the standings because Babcock is up-coaching the talent level.

&

Leafs are also where they are in the standings because of the goaltending inconsistency which is often feast or famine. When you're sending your starting goalie to the AHL to regain his confidence because you can't play him then goaltending is hurting as much as its helping.

If the Leafs had more consistent goaltending to just league average they would be even higher still as its the one position that you can pinpoint that has let Babcock down. IMO

Bernier let Babcock down through October through most of December, yes.

Reimer can't be blamed for getting injured and he is very much a part of why we are in the playoff discussion. Now that's he's back, he hasn't missed a beat during his recovery, either.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
It really should. As good of a scout as Hunter is, his odds of hitting a homerun still go up dramatically the higher our 1st.

There is also the risk that we don't trade out pending UFAs if we're in a playoff battle. Not trading some or all of the pending UFAs for extra picks also gives Hunter less to work with.

It doesn't. We have enough blue chips already in the system playing at various levels, from the NHL to junior, to overseas, main ingredients in fact.

Just adding gravy this offseason instead of adding another main ingredient is fine with me.

With the exception of a shortened, post lockout season, the Leafs have sucked since the cap era. With the prospects we already have, this was as good a season as any in the next couple years to stop sucking.

When you have too many main ingredients and not enough gravy you get Edmonton.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As much as people want to say we're close to a wild cart spot, we're what? 5 points out of dead last? It's log jam of teams in the bottom 15.

Unless we were actually in a playoff spot, I hope they do pull the trigger on the deals at the deadline.

Last edited:

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC

:shakehead

Another proponent of the Edmonton model

You don't "tank" in this league and win anything anymore. How are Edmonton, Buffalo, Columbus doing?

A team like Ottawa never tanked and they are pretty good with a good future ahead of them

Florida is the exception to the rule (actually they are not, took them 10 years or so to be a decent team)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Keep in mind, only like, 3-6 players on this team are likely to be here long-term

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Keep in mind, only like, 3-6 players on this team are likely to be here long-term

Who do you have?

Rielly, Gardiner (put himself in the mix long term with his play this year) and I'm struggling to think of anyone else.

You thinking JVR or Komarov?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Who do you have?

Rielly, Gardiner (put himself in the mix long term with his play this year) and I'm struggling to think of anyone else.

I see Rielly, Gardiner, and Kadri. JvR is going to be too expensive for what he brings in 2 years (or whenever his current contract expires). I wouldn't re-sign JvR for 6+ mil. Especially if Marner and Nylander look like the real deal.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Who do you have?

You would have to include Kadri in there. I know everyone is high on Nylander/Marner but I haven't seen them play center yet. We aren't exactly teeming with center depth at the moment. Plus it's hard to predict that all the players are going through an NHL career injury free.

We can have a now core:
Kadri/JVR/Gardiner/Komarov/Rielly

And a future core (Rielly + others) at the same time.
That's how you stay on top. Constantly replenishing the system.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
It doesn't. We have enough blue chips already in the system playing at various levels, from the NHL to junior, to overseas, main ingredients in fact.

Just adding gravy this offseason instead of adding another main ingredient is fine with me.

With the exception of a shortened, post lockout season, the Leafs have sucked since the cap era. With the prospects we already have, this was as good a season as any in the next couple years to stop sucking.

When you have too many main ingredients and not enough gravy you get Edmonton.

I'm not proposing we suck forever but this year we really need to add another blue chipper. We still have a long ways to go to become a legitimate contender.

We only have very good blue chippers in Rielly, Nylander and Marner who are good but not as great as everyone pumps them up when you compare to other teams core guys.

The rest of our prospects at this point are promising but they're far from key building blocks. They are hopeful building blocks but could just as easily be the next Wellwood, Coli, White, etc.

Chicago drafted Toews + Kane at the top of the draft in back to back years.

Pittsburgh we know the story about.

Carolina largely won a cup based off getting Staal + Ladd at the top of the draft.

LA largely won a cup by drafting Doughty + having Schenn as a trade chip to get Richards.

Washington is built around Ovi + Backstrom.

Tampa has been built around Stamkos + Hedman.

Every guy I've noted was a top 5 pick and instrumental to that team's fortunes.

The best thing for this franchise would be to follow up the Marner pick with another high end piece.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Who do you have?

- Rielly
- Gardiner (Likely)
- JVR (Maybe)
- Phaneuf (Maybe)
- Kadri (Maybe)
- Komarov (Maybe)
- Reimer/Bernier (Maybe)

So to me Rielly is the only guarantee. Gardiner is the most likely. Then 5 other possibilities.

So yes, this team is much improved, but right now it's the system, and coaching. Which is great, but this roster is going to be completely turned over still.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
While there is reason to be optimistic lets not get too ahead of ourselves. The Leafs are still alone in dead last in the NHL in ROW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad